Eric Moulds Traded For 5th Round Pic Kyle Williams

Mark VI

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want to jump to Roscoes defense but.....he does have a point.

At this point it looks like KW will become a solid player(at least) but untill he is playing good football in regular games, it is just pre-season.  When he proves himself, then I will more than agree with your point....for now, it looks like your point is looking solid but not yet proven.

Go KW....prove the point!!! :blink:

744123[/snapback]

Actually, I already agree with him 100%. I'd do it 100 out of 100 times if in fact we only had the Texans 5th on the table b/c cutting him for nothing is not as good, right?

Or, would that be like trading Moulds for Alan Ricard, FB a street FA?? ;-)

Your kidding right?  Moulds for a guy who had one nice game -- preseason?  Come on man...

Moulds was an all-pro on a crap team for years.  He played with crap talent around him, crap QBs, and tons of different coaches.  The camp darling Williams has to do more than shed two double teams in a meaningless game for me to buy his jersey.  Fred Smerlas PART II?

744113[/snapback]

OPS...thanks for posting.

But CBB, your post serves to spell out what a GREAT trade this in fact was.

A "solid nose tackle for years" is worth his weight in gold, let alone an ageing receiver whose ypc stats are sinking faster than the Titanic.

I wish I could find it, but I once read a great quote by Bill Walsh. He said (I am of course paraphrasing) that the worst players to have on a team are disgruntled veterans who might be pretty good, but never really won anything. He said that they disrupt the morale and work ethic that a coach tries to instill in the young players. I wish I knew where to find this quote!  :blink:

In any event, the above describes an ageing Eric Moulds. If nothing else, last season proved that he was no longer a good fit in Buffalo. Granted, we might not seem to have his immediate replacement, but I continue to make the case that finding a wideout to replace an older guy who lost a step is WAY easier than finding a good, young, solid DT under almost any conditions.

Btw, it is great that you got to watch him in college. If you thought he was THAT good, you must have been surprised that he lasted so long on draft day.

Hey Mark....count me in on that 100 out of 100 thing.  :)

744303[/snapback]

I agree completely, Bill. Go Bills.

It is amazing just how unexact of a science the draft is.....

A lot of these exact same things were said about Tim Anderson....

Played on a very good defense

Drew a lot of double teams

Team Leader

but Tim is BIGGER then Kyle yet has been getting pushed around from day one....he didn't even dress his first year much less show he might be capable of producing......

I know a lot of people have made fun of the new regime....and even MORE have said that Marv was going to blow this draft....

It sure doesn't look that way at the moment....for christ sake one of the OT's we took at the bottom portion of the draft is showing promise

745069[/snapback]

Tim Anderson was not in a defense that fit him untill this year. I think he will do much better in this new Bills defense. It sure looks like Marv has not gone senile just yet. He not only had what will prove to be a great draft, but he just may have hired the best coach the Bills have had since .............. Marv Levy :blink:

Tim Anderson was not in a defense that fit him untill this year. I think he will do much better in this new Bills defense. It sure looks like Marv has not gone senile just yet. He not only had what will prove to be a great draft, but he just may have hired the best coach the Bills have had since .............. Marv Levy :blink:

745159[/snapback]

Per a post draft quote that we know is accurate and not misspeak, Marv himself REALLY wanted to take Willams in the 4th round but was convinced by the others to take Simpson and hope Williams lasted into the 5th which he did.

This to me maybe almost proves out that he wanted to take no risk (I don't agree with the decision either) he would miss out on Whitner in trading down to 15 with Denver. He figured when Oakland went with a Safety it was not worth a chance.

Different type of GM than Donahoe that is for sure. He went value all the way and supposed great, tough attitude guys (at least in interviews) like Mike Will, McGahee, Losman... He did not like to "reach" for players projected lower.

Marv wanted to get his kind of players smart, tough, football players (not talkers) with high on and off field character that also fit the new D and O schemes.