What was the point of franchising Clements

Max997

didnt make any sense. I cant imagine there wasnt any interest for him to be traded

The only reason to keep Clements this year was only if they were going to be competitive and they clearly wont be and that was obvious even before last nights preseason game

why pay a CB 7 mil when you could have put that money towards the O-line, probably would have had to overpay to get them to play here but the money would have been better spent, what good does it do to have a 7 mil CB on a team that will be lucky to go 4-12

I am convinced this team wont turn around until there is a new owner

Why would a team trade for him when they know they can have him for a price and not lose any draft picks? He will be an UFA after this season. Other teams are bidding their time to see how much he's worth.

But I agree that we need studs up front to win.

Why would a team trade for him when they know they can have him for a price and not lose any draft picks?  He will be an UFA after this season.  Other teams are bidding their time to see how much he's worth.

But I agree that we need studs up front to win.

742542[/snapback]

Because if you trade for him, you're guaranteed to get him. That will not be the case next year when he's a free agent.

didnt make any sense. I cant imagine there wasnt any interest for him to be traded

The only reason to keep Clements this year was only if they were going to be competitive and they clearly wont be and that was obvious even before last nights preseason game

why pay a CB 7 mil when you could have put that money towards the O-line, probably would have had to overpay to get them to play here but the money would have been better spent, what good does it do to have a 7 mil CB on a team that will be lucky to go 4-12

742535[/snapback]

You people are kiling me. TAKE A LOOK AT OUR CAP SITUATION.

We are WAY WAY UNDER THE CAP!!!

We cut posey, which gives us EVEN MORE room.

Not tagging clements would not resulted in any improvement on the online other than what we currently have on the team. The money was there. We chose not to use it on what was available.

If a valid trade were possible that would improve the rest of our team more than losing Clements would hurt our secondary then it should obviously be considered. But this isn't baseball at the trading deadline, and getting value in return for deals isn't always easy. I'll take my chances with Nate helping our D this year, and then have Ko and Ashton coming along so that we can spend our free agent money and draft picks on the line next winter instead of worrying about replacing Nate.

If a valid trade were possible that would improve the rest of our team more than losing Clements would hurt our secondary then it should obviously be considered.  But this isn't baseball at the trading deadline, and getting value in return for deals isn't always easy.  I'll take my chances with Nate helping our D this year, and then have Ko and Ashton coming along so that we can spend our free agent money and draft picks on the line next winter instead of worrying about replacing Nate.

742564[/snapback]

Once again, the 2 options

1) Tag nate, develop young rookies. Let nate go next year

2) Dont tag nate. Start an inexperienced rookie. Let nate leave this year.

That about sums it up. Easy decision if you ask me.

742535[/snapback]

How terrible. I'd hate to have a GM who would give up on a season before it even started.

I am thinking maybe the Bills are hoping, if they give Clements the franchise tag, on good faith that they won't do it again next year, he will be more receptive to signing a long term deal...they may also be banking on the idea that he will enjoy playing for Jauron in this new defense...I am not saying it will work, only that it may have factored into some of the decision making...maybe they are paying Peerless something under the table, to convince his old buddy that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.....

Because if you trade for him, you're guaranteed to get him.  That will not be the case next year when he's a free agent.

742545[/snapback]

You assume too much. Nate would have to agree to an extension and if he doesn't want to stay, you lost a high draft pick!

742535[/snapback]

The Bills franchised Clements for several reasons:

1, It keeps the most positive possible framework for negotiations which may result in him signing before the beginning of the season.

They are treating Clements in a manner consistent with growing partnership being developed by the players and the team owners as reflected in the CBA. The replacement player lockout of the mid-80s demonstrated to the owners that there was more profit to be made from cooperation rather than warfare between the players and team owners.

Once the two sides reached agreement after difficult negotiations, they could really pursue their shared mutual goal of getting as many nickels as possible from tthe networks and fans. Fighting with each other may have been fun in a juvenile way as they got to beat each other up, but it was a distraction from what both sides wanted to really do.

So to it is the nature of the relationship between Ralph and NC. They are not warring parties with different goals. They are negotiating partners who share the common goal of getting a championship so they can get as many nickels as possible from the fans.

By giving NC an out after a year, they are keeping the relationship in the best situation for both sides to finish off difficult negotiations and then pursue a shared goal.

This is a case where the sweetrness and light story of cooperation is also the best way if they can reach agreement on the contract to actually go after the rea; goal. For those who mistake getting a contract as the goal, they need to understand that under the CBA the Bills are guarantted a total worker cost which allows them to make a huge profit in any case so this deal is merely about efficiency in allocating their cap amount it is not life and death for the team. Also, as long as NC makes a deal he is guarantted also to get the largest check he has ever received.

The deal simply takes a situation which gives the Bills a big hammer that makes their partner squirm and instead leaves the Bills with a smaller hammer (but a hammer nonetheless to forge a deal.

2. The Bills have further increased their leverage with the acquisition of Youbouty which puts them in a position where though they are better with MC, they can let him walk and still be in good shape. The Bills would probably prefer to have the cap room rather than franchise NC again anyway. So if they judge they are not goona tag him anyway next year then there is no problem giving this away to maximize the chances of signing him now by keeping a good relationship.

3. TD spoiled everybody in that folks now seem to think the deal he got for PP is the norm,

Simply cause the Bills can tag NC does not mean they will be able to trade NC as a tagged player. The PP situation was a big exception to the rule that players who generally reach their FA year walk if they do not resign or if they are tagged stay. Banking on the idea that we will get value for a player if we tag him is not a good bet.

4. NC really takes some big risks not to make a deal before this season begins.

If he gets hurt, his biggest check ever is gone. If he has another season like last season his biggest check ever is gone. Worse case for the Bills is that he plays like a demon this year for us and he leaves but we have 4 CBs on the roster beside NC we are comfortable with them seeing significan time.

5. The Bills do want to compete this year and having HC if only for this year is a benefit rather than a problem.

for the Golden Boys and their business the future is now so worry about what will happen to Nate next year is simply pre-mature.

If anything making this deal with him is closer to no brainer in terms of why not give him something that keeps the relationship good that you almost certainly are not gonna use anyway.