KC Joyner espn chat

bernie

Robert (Palm City, Florida): Hey KC, Thanks for all the great stats you have been providing. Can you tell me if you see JP Losman getting any better and what made him sooo bad last year?

KC Joyner: (4:09 PM ET ) The one thing that Losman was excellent at was hitting the deep pass to Lee Evans. He completed something like 60% of his deep passes to Evans, just a ridiculously high percentage. The Bills may end up putting him in there to open up their deep passing game if Holcomb doesn't show improvement in that part of his game.

but how good is he at hitting the other receivers?  i have this funny feeling that JP is gonna lock on Evans the same way Drew locked on Moulds

740596[/snapback]

I don't know about that, he seemed to work well with Roscoe in camp last year before he got hurt and he did all right with Reed in the regular season last year. The big thing will be whether or not the QB, whoever the starter is, will find the TE a little more often.

IMO -- last year was all about trying to parlay what was supposed to be a league leading defense into a playoff team. The goal seemed to be for the offense to do well enough to win a bunch of low scoring games. The plan was not necessarily to develop JP, just hope he would do well enough and let the talent around him carry things.

There was a big problem with this thinking -- the defense fell apart, Moulds started showing a bit of his age, the O-Line had another horrible year, McGahee had a disappointing year, and the TE's were transparant.

This year, instead of trying to mount another pathetic attempt at being a wild card playoff team who loses early in the playoffs, the Bills need to get back to dynasty building Marv Levy style. They need to take a step back with JP and develop him into a true star QB if that's possible. Putting him in an offense and expecting him to play as a veteran QB is just going to result in the same play we got last year. In fact, if we do this, I think we might be able to be a wild card team this year by pulling off a late season run.