This is off topic...even for the off topic forum

My 14 year old son has completed JAAF, 1 month of freshman football precamp, and is 2 weeks away from freshman 2 a days......

During precamp he did quite well.....and figures to be a 2 way starter at outside linebacker and fb/rb

Things are going quite well.....then

My son does one of the stupidest things I have seen him do in some time....he decides to go ATCing even though I told him it was a bad idea so close to camp.....

Now he is the unproud recipient of a huge road rash injury that covers a large partion of one of his calves......he can barely walk.

Anybody have any dealings with this? Best treatment? The would was cleaned quite well and he has been putting bactitracin on it for the moment....

Mine was a rollerblading fall, which took about 1foot of skin from my calf. After two weeks of cleaning and putting over the counter medicine like bactine, I ended up at the Hospital for IV antibiotics, and cruches for two weeks. Go to the doctor now it might help.

My 14 year old son has completed JAAF, 1 month of freshman football precamp, and is 2 weeks away from freshman 2 a days......

During precamp he did quite well.....and figures to be a 2 way starter at outside linebacker and fb/rb

My son does one of the stupidest things I have seen him do in some time....he decides to go ATCing even though I told him it was a bad idea so close to camp.....

Now he is the unproud recipient of a huge road rash injury that covers a large partion of one of his calves......he can barely walk.

Anybody have any dealings with this?  Best treatment?  The would was cleaned quite well and he has been putting bactitracin on it for the moment....

738624[/snapback]

Anybody have any dealings with this?  Best treatment?  The would was cleaned quite well and he has been putting bactitracin on it for the moment....

738624[/snapback]

Actually... They just did a thing in the Chicago Trib about cuts... Everyhting you know is wrong kinda thing... In the Tempo/Heathbeat ection:

Here it is:

Big No-No

Might have to reg.

The article is: HEALING: Turns out it's a big no-no to let small boo-boos dry out in air.

Turns out it's a big no-no to let small boo-boos dry out in air

By Anahad O'Connor

New York Times News Service

Published August 8, 2006

Most parents and school nurses have a time-honored approach to treating a small wound: Clean it up, stop the bleeding and let it get some air.

The point of this approach, as described in medical texts, is to lower the odds of infection and to speed the healing process. But over the years, researchers have found that what many people know about treating small cuts and scrapes is wrong.

Exposing a wound to the air so it can breathe is a terrible mistake, experts say, because it creates a dry environment that promotes cell death.

A handful of studies have found that when wounds are kept moist and covered, blood vessels regenerate faster, and the number of cells that cause inflammation drops more rapidly than they do in wounds allowed to air out. It is best to keep a wound moist and covered for at least five days.

Another common mistake is applying antibiotic ointments, said Dr. Mark D.P. Davis, a professor of dermatology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. These ointments may keep the wound moist, he said, but they can also lead to swelling and an allergic reaction called contact dermatitis. Plain and simple Vaseline, applied twice a day, works fine.

And as awful as removing scabs may sound, it may actually be a good idea, Davis said. A small initial scab will help stop the bleeding, but if left for too long it will do more harm than good.

"You don't want it to mature too much because it increases scarring," he said. "That's the general thinking."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Keep it moist and covered for five days... Stay away from anti-bacterial stuff and just apply Vaseline twice daily... The thing is keep it moist.