Rhett Bomar booted from OU

bartshan-83

Somebody had to be out to get this guy. If this is your star quarterback, that would probably be on the Heisman list the following season, how could you let this happen? This kind of stuff goes on at just about EVERY university and they rarely get caught. You just think that OU would've gone a little further to protect their guy, ya know. These guys get straight sh*#@&d on by the NCAA. They only get like $500 a month compared to the millions being raked in by these schools. A person couldn't even hold a real job while in school because he'd make enough money to buy himself more than food. The whole system is bulls#@t !!!

Somebody had to be out to get this guy. If this is your star quarterback, that would probably be on the Heisman list the following season, how could you let this happen? This kind of stuff goes on at just about EVERY university and they rarely get caught. You just think that OU would've gone a little further to protect their guy, ya know. These guys get straight sh*#@&d on by the NCAA. They only get like $500 a month compared to the millions being raked in by these schools. A person couldn't even hold a real job while in school because he'd make enough money to buy himself more than food. The whole system is bulls#@t !!!

734316[/snapback]

I'm kind of with you....i think the system is f'd up. The schools, NCAA, networks, clothing lines, etc...make TONS of jack off of the players. And the thing is, while the money is being made off of a large pool of athletes, only a very choice few of them will ever see any of that money cycled back to them by way of playing professionally.

Yeah they get a free education, and that is not to be taken lightly. But the amount of money they are making for their 'employers' is vastly disproportionate to their compensation, IMO.

That being said, Rhett Bomar garners little sympathy from me. Working FIVE hours per week and making $18,000 is not "making enough money to buy food"

Some people use the system, some people abuse the system....the latter usually get caught.

The same car dealership that "allegedly" hooked up AP with a ride last year. 

OOPS

Well nice to see that Texas has another gift-wrapped trip the title game.  They beat OSU at home and we can all enjoy the Tostitos Cake-Walk Bowl between UT and WVU. <_< 

i kid i kid

733999[/snapback]

I have to say I was estatic when I saw that, lol.

I'm kind of with you....i think the system is f'd up.  The schools, NCAA, networks, clothing lines, etc...make TONS of jack off of the players.  And the thing is, while the money is being made off of a large pool of athletes, only a very choice few of them will ever see any of that money cycled back to them by way of playing professionally.

734366[/snapback]

Contrary to this sentiment, and it is a common one, I believe very few Division I athletic

departments make more money than they spend - I would be surprised if there are 10 in the entire country that do. No Div II or III programs make money.

While football alone may be a net gain for a university - that University usually comes from a major conference and has to support as many as 25 different sports teams (men and women -their scholarships and coaching staff).

Most college athletic programs are financial losers.

Contrary to this sentiment, and it is a common one, I believe very few Division I athletic

departments make more money than they spend - I would be surprised if there are 10 in the entire country that do. No Div II or III programs make money.

While football alone may be a net gain for a university - that University usually comes from a major conference and has to support as many as 25 different sports teams (men and women -their scholarships and coaching staff).

734578[/snapback]

Interesting...and I don't refute that.

However, a LOT of money is being made off of these athletes...even if its not necessarily that college thats making it.

Guest Guest

I'm not justifying what he did at all. I personally wouldn't have gone about things the way he did. All I'm saying is that these guys, as a whole, are getting crapped on. They should atleast be able to hold a legitimate job at the local mall or something and be able to play football. $18,000 for 5 hours is definitely a little hefty. Shoot, I wish I made $3,000 an hour!!! But my statement still stands that somebody was out to get him or the school. There's better cover up jobs on Courtney Cox's face than they tried to pull here.

734578[/snapback]

You're right, not many do IIRC.

I believe my Longhorns rake in the most money. In 2004, the University of Texas is the had a revenue of $53.2 million & profits of $38.7 million.

Compare that with the Packers, who had profits of $18 million.

And thats not even last year, when we won the championship.

Most of the money, though, is spent supporting all the sports programs at the University. Athletics here at UT pays for itself, and does not receive any money from the rest of the Univeristy for anything.

Speaking of which, we're getting a nice brand-new scoreboard as part of DKR's renovations. I go by it everyday, and good god its frickin huge.

The dimensions of it are 134 feet x 55 feet, which I believe is the words largest HD screen.

Crazy, eh?

I was just thinking about how much ICE must be loving this right now.

Understand this....Before stoops we couldn't make the top 25. Honestly from the time Barry S retired we sucked. Then all of a sudden here comes stoops. Winning record and a bowl his first season with SOMEONE ELSES PLAYERS! Then in year 2 we win the national championship.

Since then top 6 at worst. Guess what? Due to STOOPS REP/Recruiting ESPN etal have stated we are stocked for the next 5 years (being at least a contender for the title).

so Yeah I gotta say it's Bob Stoops.

734972[/snapback]

Tough break, man....5 year plan aint working out so well...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.