Technology and Gun Control

If the current laws are not being enforced, what good will it do to make additional laws?

Gun laws do not go after the root cause of the problem, so it is nothing more than a Band-Aid for the issue. Just look at the "assault weapons" ban. The advocates of lower magazine size and reduction in the sales of "assault weapons" claimed that this law was needed because of:

1) The number of people killed per incident

2) This was the "weapon of choice" for the criminals

3) Blah...blah...blah

After it was put in place, statistics showed no difference in the areas used to sell the ban.

715465[/snapback]

The "assault rifle" ban is a mess of insignificant restrictions. After purchasing my post ban AR-15, I was not allowed to put a collapsable stock so I simply bought a standard stock, no less lethal. I could not buy NEW magazines that held more than 10 rounds, so I bought some military surplus $15 30 round magazines, still no less lethal. I can not mount a bayonette on my rifle so no more stabbing sprees I guess, possibly less lethal. I guess these restrictions make the uninformed feel safer without actually accomplishing any real reduction in crime, so it fits the mold of most recent gun control laws.

I don't know about crimes in your town, but most shootings I hear about in rochester involve cheap, small caliber guns that can be tossed away after the shooting. Not many street hoods carry thousand dollar guns!

The "assault rifle" ban is a mess of insignificant restrictions.  After purchasing my post ban AR-15, I was not allowed to put a collapsable stock so I simply bought a standard stock, no less lethal.  I could not buy NEW magazines that held more than 10 rounds, so I bought some military surplus $15 30 round magazines, still no less lethal. I can not mount a bayonette on my rifle so no more stabbing sprees I guess, possibly less lethal.  I guess these restrictions make the uninformed feel safer without actually accomplishing any real reduction in crime, so it fits the mold of most recent gun control laws.

I don't know about crimes in your town, but most shootings I hear about in rochester involve cheap, small caliber guns that can be tossed away after the shooting.  Not many street hoods carry thousand dollar guns!

715532[/snapback]

It was "feel good" legislation. It accomplishes nothing except to make people feel better so they can say that they are "addressing the problem." Its good come re-election time, which is all that really matters.

I remember hearing about some very rural towns in the midwest requiring all residents without a criminal background to have a gun in the house. If you did not want to keep a gun on hand, you needed to file a request with the town. Can you imagine a better way to convince a criminal to move out of your town or skip it all together!

I remember hearing about some very rural towns in the midwest requiring all residents without a criminal background to have a gun in the house.  If you did not want to keep a gun on hand, you needed to file a request with the town.  Can you imagine a better way to convince a criminal to move out of your town or skip it all together!

715545[/snapback]

Link? This I gotta see.

Never mind...found it myself

Holy schitt!

Edited by MattyT

You mean because they don't enforce the 20,000 gun laws on the books then there is obviously the need for more?  Welcome to the reason they don't enforce the ones on the book.  At the end of the day it's to give the excuse that "nothing we do has worked, guess we'll have to ban the things outright."  You think gun violence and other violent crimes are bad now?  Wait until law abiding citizens aren't allowed to have defend themselves.

I don't think the rules on the book are adaquate to do anything, which is one of the reasons a different law is needed.

Won't matter.  It'll just cost alot of money, making the average American less safe.  Criminals will simply bypass anything that's put into play, regardless of your ideological pipe dream.  There isn't an affordable security system on the planet that can't be bypassed by a professional in a small amount of time.

The states that have implemented ballistic fingerprinting are finding out exactly that.  Spend alot, no results.  Absolute failure.  One of the reasons they were able to pass it is the ignorance of the populace on the entire issue.

Doubtful - and guns are simply used as a crutch for the larger problems society refuses to address.  Your "solutions" are essentially the equivalent of putting a bandaid on a brain tumor.

715420[/snapback]

I'm not referring to technology available today. As I said previously, it will take decades and decades to get afordable, yet strong, security, as technology matures.

I agree, today's security "solutions" are pointless adn not needed. However, the technology will be different in the future, and I mean way off in the future, and possibly make what I'm talking about achieveable.

If the current laws are not being enforced, what good will it do to make additional laws?

Gun laws do not go after the root cause of the problem, so it is nothing more than a Band-Aid for the issue. Just look at the "assault weapons" ban. The advocates of lower magazine size and reduction in the sales of "assault weapons" claimed that this law was needed because of:

1) The number of people killed per incident

2) This was the "weapon of choice" for the criminals

3) Blah...blah...blah

After it was put in place, statistics showed no difference in the areas used to sell the ban.

715465[/snapback]

What, exactly, is the root of the problem? How do you go after it? How do you do this in the future, as technology improves? This is what I'm trying to get at.

Bash today's laws all you want, but as technology improves and evolves, its going to influence the way gun control works. Decades in the future. Thats what I'm referring to here.

I don't think the rules on the book are adaquate to do anything, which is one of the reasons a different law is needed.

Mostly because you don't know what you're talking about. I'd love to hear some of your "new" suggestions, as I'm sure most of them are in place in some form already.

I'm not referring to technology available today.  As I said previously, it will take decades and decades to get afordable, yet strong, security, as technology matures. 

I didn't realize we were talking about pipe dreams. Thankfully I'll likely be long dead by the time something like that is workable, though I think those who remain will be subserviant to another culture and the majority of guns will be confiscated by force.

What, exactly, is the root of the problem?  How do you go after it?  How do you do this in the future, as technology improves?  This is what I'm trying to get at.

There are numerous "roots". Opportunity, lack of morals, public "education", overbearing government, hopelessness, the fact that there will always be human beings who are willing to harm others to achieve their goals, etc.

Bash today's laws all you want, but as technology improves and evolves, its going to influence the way gun control works.  Decades in the future.  Thats what I'm referring to here.

715780[/snapback]

Yeah. Can't wait to pick up my gun to defend my house, only to be told I have a virus or need to reboot. Sorry, it defeats the purpose it's intended for. No matter what pipe dream you have, criminals, by definition, will bypass it meaning only the law abiding will suffer. There isn't a technology available that is foolproof and there never will be. I can't wait to talk to you in 10 years, once you've been away from academia for awhile.

Mostly because you don't know what you're talking about.  I'd love to hear some of your "new" suggestions, as I'm sure most of them are in place in some form already.

I already admitted that I don't know what I'm talking about. :pirate:

Personally, I think making gun laws isn't going to do sh-- until technology gets better.

I didn't realize we were talking about pipe dreams.  Thankfully I'll likely be long dead by the time something like that is workable, though I think those who remain will be subserviant to another culture and the majority of guns will be confiscated by force.

Yeah, I will be long dead as well.

There are numerous "roots".  Opportunity, lack of morals, public "education", overbearing government, hopelessness, the fact that there will always be human beings who are willing to harm others to achieve their goals, etc.

Which is why gun control through any other means then future technology beyond what we have is pointless.

Yeah.  Can't wait to pick up my gun to defend my house, only to be told I have a virus or need to reboot.  Sorry, it defeats the purpose it's intended for.  No matter what pipe dream you have, criminals, by definition, will bypass it meaning only the law abiding will suffer.  There isn't a technology available that is foolproof and there never will be.  I can't wait to talk to you in 10 years, once you've been away from academia for awhile.

715894[/snapback]

Technology does suck at times.