Sports Xchange article

In this article they say "But unlike moves to jettison Lawyer Milloy and Mike Williams, no way are the Bills better off without him." I know Moulds is gone and we've talked about this ad nauseum but I think they are wrong. Especially after they just said it was an economic hardship, he wouldn't take a cut and in doing so showed he didn't want to be in Buffalo.

He had a good career with the Bills but had become a cancer who was deviding the team and in my opinion intimidated JP. It got nasty when JP couldn't hit him on long passes because he could not get separation, or JP didn't have time, or he started and stopped routes making it impossible to know when or where to throw it to say nothing about his antics on the sidelines that were very childish and devisive.

Here is why I don't think he will be missed. Yes, Evans has not faced double teams but I don't think he will face a lot if all works the way Fairchild and the offense is planned. First, like Rams teams there will more motion prior to the play. Then there is way more speed on this team than last year which won't allow the opposition to use two playes on one. Then, they will have to account for a better run game and a much better tight end group of recievers and blockers.

The intangibles will be team unity and all players pulling for one goal. Levy did the right thing and both teams will benefit from the trade. I just don't believe that "no way will we be better off." I think we will!

There's no way we're better off without Eric Moulds. He no longer wanted to play for Buffalo...we all know that and i've accepted that but production wise there is no way Peerless Price, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis or any of the other receivers will be able to match what he brought to the table.

JP couldn't hit him on long passes because Moulds couldn't get seperation? WTF? More like JP couldn't see him because he was too nervous and didn't have the patience or time to quickly scan the field and find him. The Bills are NOT better off without Eric Moulds, but it was time for him to move on. IMO.

There's no way we're better off without Eric Moulds. He no longer wanted to play for Buffalo...we all know that and i've accepted that but production wise there is no way Peerless Price, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis or any of the other receivers will be able to match what he brought to the table.

JP couldn't hit him on long passes because Moulds couldn't get seperation? WTF? More like JP couldn't see him because he was too nervous and didn't have the patience or time to quickly scan the field and find him. The Bills are NOT better off without Eric Moulds, but it was time for him to move on. IMO.

713683[/snapback]

Maybe not this year, but by next year yes. Moulds is in the declining years of his career and by '07 the receiving corps in Buffalo will be more experienced and productive if they can stay healthy. This upcoming year cannot be viewed as anything else but rebuilding for the Bills giving young players and a new coaching staff more experience.

Moulds will be remebered as a great player that played on losers his whole career if he stays with the Texans. He was a class act for the vast majority of his days in Buffalo and it's a shame that he isn't playing for a contender now. I think some good teams missed a nice opportunity to get a player who could be a difference maker for them in a playoff run this year.

I don't see the Bills in the hunt for the playoffs this year with him or withouut him.

I think clearly we are worse off without Moulds skills as a receiver than if we had them. He is simply a far better WR than Price, the young Parrish or any other candidate we would have for #2. I think Evans had surpassed him as the go-to guy in our O abd he seemed to have better chemistry with JP than Moulds had. However, I think there can be little rational argument that he is a better player than any other Bills WRs by far.

However, even though Moulds is a better player physically than any other #2 candidates (and still is comparable to Evans as though Evans has more speed and appears to have good hands, Moulds has more experience as a proven #1 than Evans and probably more athleticism than Evans), his meltdown when Evans was JPs chosen target in the Miami game and really helped most by being a decoy allowing Evans one-on-one coverage raises issues whether theough a better athlete than Evans he is in fact a more effect player for te Bills.

Volumes were spoken with the lack of public support the team and even NFLPA union president Vincent gabe to Moulds when he was suspended. I think that this was a sign not only that Moulds was really cheesed because a younger player had surpassed him, but his teammates were pretty unsympathetic to his actions.

As far as double-teams go, I actually hope that Evans draws a bunch of them rather than him being isolated. Just as the primary value which Moulds provided the Bills against Miami was that he had buirned them so many times over the years, they were forced to let Evans get the single. I hope Evans in fact regularly draws a double that frees up Price and Parrish to destroy the opponents.

Look, I didn't dislike EM prior to last year. I would have liked to see him win something in Buffalo. But last year, whether it was total frustration with the way JP was handled or the stupid way MM ran the offense. But last year was last year and EM did not get faster or act as a team player. I hope he has a good year in Houston but I'm glad he's gone. There just was no way to reconcile all the issues that surfaced, and he wasn't getting better for the amount of cap hit.

EM may be a better #1 than Evans but I feel with a better offensive system to work within and a speedier group of WR's I feel we will better. In totality, we will have more athleticism and speed than last year. They don't need turmoil on a team fighting to learn how to win.

I think that ML and DJ are doing a good job so far in building a TEAM with character. All will be pulling for one another in a common goal. No ME people.

I respect all your feelings just as I hope you will respect mine. Time will tell

In recent years, I think Moulds become more of a possession receiver than a gamebreaker, despite his occassion bouts of dropsy. He still could be a guy a QB and go to and feel pretty comfortable. If he were willing to accept the pay he's worth and be a team guy, I would love to have kept him. I didn't want him at the level of compensaion he would have gotten, and his attitude was often a trial for the Bills to deal with.

Time will tell if Moulds' absence will be a factor.  With bigger guys like Wilson and Nance possibly ready to fill his role, we'll have to wait and see.

713695[/snapback]

One thing will surely be missed is moulds' run blocking skills. He was as good a blocker then Heins Ward; not many media types cover Moulds' while Ward is on a great team

I think their is pros and cons to either argument. We won't know the answer until most of the season is over. Even if Moulds has a terrific season in Houston, would his performance with the Bills be matched, especially with an unsettled QB and Oline situation? We just don't know yet.

Better off w/o Moulds?

Yes... salary cap gain (although the Bills did take some hit)

Yes... he'd be a 33 yr. old WR on a rebuilding team that's going nowhere this year.

(taking playing time away from a younger wr)

Yes... in that he wanted out of Buffalo

Yes... if Kyle Williams turns out to be a very good player

Yes... if the offense resembles the Rams... which used smaller, quicker, faster WRs.

No... if the Bills were a playoff team with a settled QB situation

No... if the offense will rely on sound blocking from the WRs

No... if Kyle Williams turns out to be marginal or worse yet, a bust.

No... if the WRs we have now play like crap.