Pat Kirwan Wonders Which of These

Whatever, the Ravens were the biggest freak of nature champion ever.  Good luck following that blueprint.

693348[/snapback]

Who laid that out as a blueprint? my point was that your defense should never quit and then blame the offense for the outcome. The guys you WANT on defense dont even care what the SCORE is, they want to stop the opposing offense out of PRINCIPLE.

It's easy to motivate people in a close game, you learn something about people by the way they play when they are either up or down big. Offensive guys should be greedy and always want more yards, more points, more of everything, defensive guys should always want to shut the opposition down, no yards, no first downs, no points...ever. Even if they've gotten torched 5 straight drives, this is gonna be the drive we stop them. Players that coast when you're up get you beat (ask the '92 Oilers) and players that quit when you're down get you beat because you never have a chance to pull off a comeback.

I'll be the corny fan-boy that brings it up...if the '92 Bills defense had mailed it in because "the team wasn't going anywhere" that comeback would have never happened. they gave up 28 points in a half and the offense tacked 7 more onto that by themselves. The very easily could have bagged the game from there out and noone would have blamed them. The defense won that game by shutting the Oilers down for the second half and the first couple stops were ON PRINCIPLE not because we were within a sniff of catching up. All those lovely Andre Reed clips we see on the highlight video and the big warm fuzzy we all get would not have happened if our BACKUP defense hadn't played hard just because it's what you're supposed to do.

Who laid that out as a blueprint?  my point was that your defense should never quit and then blame the offense for the outcome.  The guys you WANT on defense dont even care what the SCORE is, they want to stop the opposing offense out of PRINCIPLE.

693351[/snapback]

Hey I live here too and I hate the fans too but it just sounds like you're a little blinded. Trotter overrated? Maybe by Eagle fans but I don't think a lot of people outside Philly even know who he is.

They did well for 3 straight years without TO or a great running game. Their core defensive group has proven they can play whether you think they're heartless or not (it wasn't like their defense was in the bottom third of the league last year).

I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the top teams in the AFC, but it's not much of a stretch to think they have as good a chance as anyone to win the division - which is deep and competetive, but not necessarily top heavy either. Maybe I just don't like the Giants as much as most people seem to.

Hey I live here too and I hate the fans too but it just sounds like you're a little blinded.  Trotter overrated?  Maybe by Eagle fans but I don't think a lot of people outside Philly even know who he is. 

They did well for 3 straight years without TO or a great running game.  Their core defensive group has proven they can play whether you think they're heartless or not (it wasn't like their defense was in the bottom third of the league last year). 

I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the top teams in the AFC, but it's not much of a stretch to think they have as good a chance as anyone to win the division - which is deep and competetive, but not necessarily top heavy either.  Maybe I just don't like the Giants as much as most people seem to.

693355[/snapback]

Trotter is liked here because he's a good quote and he jumps up and down, on the field he has the distinction of being better than Mark Simoneau. Their defense improved when he came back, was it because he's great or because Simoneau is awful?

The Eagles in general are pretty overrated, they had been beating up on a soft division in the lesser conference for a number of years only to lose in the playoffs (both at home and on the road) to the first truly good team they faced (St. Louis who went on to lose to Brady, Tampa who crushed Oakland, Carolina who lost to Brady, and then they finally beat Atlanta at home only to lose to Brady themselves) They're like the Colts except the Colts lost to the eventual SB champ 3 straight years (New England 2x and Pittsburgh), the Eagles only did that once (Tampa). Their division caught up to them finally so we'll see how they do but I think they're decline is well underway given that they were pretty large paper tigers to start with.

Trotter is liked here because he's a good quote and he jumps up and down, on the field he has the distinction of being better than Mark Simoneau.  Their defense improved when he came back, was it because he's great or because Simoneau is awful? 

The Eagles in general are pretty overrated, they had been beating up on a soft division in the lesser conference for a number of years only to lose in the playoffs (both at home and on the road) to the first truly good team they faced (St. Louis who went on to lose to Brady, Tampa who crushed Oakland, Carolina who lost to Brady, and then they finally beat Atlanta at home only to lose to Brady themselves)  They're like the Colts except the Colts lost to the eventual SB champ 3 straight years (New England 2x and Pittsburgh), the Eagles only did that once (Tampa).  Their division caught up to them finally so we'll see how they do but I think they're decline is well underway given that they were pretty large paper tigers to start with.

693365[/snapback]

Yeah I get pretty pissed when my co-workers mention them in the same breath as the Bills seeing as how we didn't choke at home every year or any year for that matter. Beating Elway, Marino, and Montana in championship games is a little different than losing to Brad Johnson and Jake Dellhomme, but I guess those AFC playoff games just never happened. :)

Anyway, I still think there's something to be said for winning as many games as they did over the years when everyone in the NFC was gunning for them. I expect the defense to be better and that along with a solid QB/Coach combo ought to be enough to at least compete in their division.

Yeah I get pretty pissed when my co-workers mention them in the same breath as the Bills seeing as how we didn't choke at home every year or any year for that matter.  Beating Elway, Marino, and Montana in championship games is a little different than losing to Brad Johnson and Jake Dellhomme, but I guess those AFC playoff games just never happened.  :)

Anyway, I still think there's something to be said for winning as many games as they did over the years when everyone in the NFC was gunning for them.  I expect the defense to be better and that along with a solid QB/Coach combo ought to be enough to at least compete in their division.

693372[/snapback]

...of course we also lost to Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien in Super Bowls :D But you're right in that the competetion to get there was at least a little better than what the Eagles have faced and the Bills did it on the road a couple times too, winning in Pittsburgh and Miami. There's also something to be said for dominating at home, that's what you're SUPPOSED to do. The Eagles lost the last game at the Vet for God's Sake, you can't lose that game and be taken seriously. We did luck out a bit in '90 when Bo Jackson got hurt the week before, I think that game would have been much much closer had that not happened.

I think Jacksonville has the best chance if Leftwich can stay healthy.

The Colts won't be as good next near. They lost two key players in James and Tripplet.

I know they got Addai, but he isn't as good as Edgerrin was. Also, they really don't have anyone to replace Trip.

I'd look for Jacksonville to make it interesting. The only problem with them is that they lost signing Mike Williams to that other team in Florida, the Bucs.

Trotter is liked here because he's a good quote and he jumps up and down, on the field he has the distinction of being better than Mark Simoneau.  Their defense improved when he came back, was it because he's great or because Simoneau is awful? 

The Eagles in general are pretty overrated, they had been beating up on a soft division in the lesser conference for a number of years only to lose in the playoffs (both at home and on the road) to the first truly good team they faced (St. Louis who went on to lose to Brady, Tampa who crushed Oakland, Carolina who lost to Brady, and then they finally beat Atlanta at home only to lose to Brady themselves)  They're like the Colts except the Colts lost to the eventual SB champ 3 straight years (New England 2x and Pittsburgh), the Eagles only did that once (Tampa).  Their division caught up to them finally so we'll see how they do but I think they're decline is well underway given that they were pretty large paper tigers to start with.

693365[/snapback]

"Better then Mark Simoneau" lol theres something to be proud of but honestly this is a spot on assessment of the eagles. The eagles defense has always been a bit overrated. They were at their best in 02 when oddly enough is the last time they had a balanced approach on offense. Staley and dorsey levens did just enough to keep defenses honest. Nothing against westbrook as in 03 he proved to be a good 3rd down type back but he's far from a premiere rb. With the other teams in the nfc east catching up to philly and no run game to take pressure off a qb who isn't that great to begin with the eagles will be hard pressed to return to form.

I think Jacksonville has the best chance if Leftwich can stay healthy.

693384[/snapback]

I agree. Although they have their own rb questions. Freddy Taylor is getting a bit long in the tooth. They got maurice drew, despite his size I think he'll turn out to be good. That defense should be good once again they always play the colts tough. If Leftwich stays healthy they can win the afc south most definitly.

I think they'll miss David Thornton far more than they'll miss Tripplett.

693392[/snapback]

The colts let their actual good lb's go when they let Mike Peterson and marcus washington walk. Thornton isnt that good. They'll miss triplett more. Not that he's a great player but I think his role on the colts made him more important to the team than an average lb with potential.

Philly has done absoultely NOTHING to improve their running game and have fewer people to throw to.  Unless Andy Reid figures out that this isn't the CFL the Eagles are gonna have problems again.  Their secondary was absoultely exposed last year and their front 8 really hasn't been upgraded much.  Kearse got his contract and will now disappear for the next 3 years.  Darren Howard is damaged goods and doesn't play the run.  Their starting linebackers include Dhani Jones and Matt McCoy, along with Jeremiah Trotter who is quite possibly the single most overrated LB in the NFL.  Bunkley needs to come in and be King Kong from day 1 which is pretty unlikely based on the history of rookie DTs.

They really could have used LeVar Arrington but they lost him to the Giants.  Tom Coughlin isn't gonna mess around and bench him for freelancing like Huckleberry The Idiot did down in DC.  His job is going to be finding the football and killing the man carrying it and the defense will be built around that rather than vice-versa.

693329[/snapback]

don't bother me with facts :)

seriously, I think they will surprise for the very reason you bring up. with the Cokeboys, Giants, and the Skins all looking over their shoulders at each other, no one expects much from the Eagles.

I also looked at the schedule. Philly's schedule for the 1st ten games look like pie compared to the other three. They can lead the division by mid November. Then it's all a dog fight. But I think the ease of the first half of their season will give them the advantage.

They do however have a brutal stretch from week 12 through 16, but finish at home against an overrated Falcons team.

call it a gut, but I can see it happening.