Kudos to Chris Brown

Rubes

I thought that was a good interview with McNally. Nice array of questions, especially the potential for a Peters-Gandy switch. A lot were questions I would have asked the guy had I the chance.

Interesting interview. There is one major glaring hole though - Anderson's name is never mentioned. He says that four starters are returning (all except Teague) and he says that Peters, Vill., and Gandy are pretty set at their positions. But he nevers once mentions Left Guard. It seems obvious that LG and C are the positions with open competition. Too bad Chris Brown didn't ask any more pointed questions along these lines. I'm especially curious where Preston ends up.

Interesting interview.  There is one major glaring hole though - Anderson's name is never mentioned.  He says that four starters are returning (all except Teague) and he says that Peters, Vill., and Gandy are pretty set at their positions.  But he nevers once mentions Left Guard.  It seems obvious that LG and C are the positions with open competition.  Too bad Chris Brown didn't ask any more pointed questions along these lines.  I'm especially curious where Preston ends up.

689814[/snapback]

True, although when I read this quote I was pretty sure he was referring to Anderson and Reyes:

CB: At what point do you hope to have a starting five established and practicing every day?

JM: Soon. I would say hopefully after these OTAs. Maybe we go one or two days in pads at training camp to see if there was some question. I think what you want to do is give every guy on your team a chance. If some guy has been a starter you want to give him the opportunity in a full-blown pads situation before you move someone ahead of him necessarily. That might not always be the case. You're not worried about hurting people's feelings because you want to get the best players on the field, but in fairness to guys that have worked hard and have been starters you give them the first crack and then may the best man win.

We'll see...

What ever happened to "cutting the deadwood?"  :D

689898[/snapback]

The salary cap!

Folks are forced to keep long obvious deadwood like MW (and RJ for another example) alive long after its pretty clear they are not going to produce as expected because he bucks have been handed to them. It seems to be the failure to realize on the part of some that even though this money is sunk it still influences football descisions for a while after it is spent,

Perhaps the answer is that in the NFL a chunk of players who would have been cut as deadwood are kept as barely breathing wood.

The salary cap!

Folks are forced to keep long obvious deadwood like MW (and RJ for another example) alive long after its pretty clear they are not going to produce as expected because he bucks have been handed to them. It seems to be the failure to realize on the part of some that even though this money is sunk it still influences football descisions for a while after it is spent,

Perhaps the answer is that in the NFL a chunk of players who would have been cut as deadwood are kept as barely breathing wood.

690107[/snapback]

How does this explain Beanie Anderson? Did Donahoe sign this scrub to a bank breaking deal? :D

Didn't break the bank at all (which is actually a much larger bank due to the new CBA) with this signing but they did pay him a significant bonus which will count against our cap whether we cut him or not.

Bennie clearly sucked in his play last year and even worse a chunk of this was die to lack of focus which should have been noted before he signed and can be difficult to change without a personality transplant currently beyond human technology and control.

Nevertheless the cap hit means he does get a chance to redeem himself with a new attitude that improves his production.

While this is unlikely to occur, as recently as Sam Adams we saw a player with a clear attitude problem which led to him taking a vacaton half the time change his ways in conjunction with signing with the Bills, He not only made the Pro Bowl as a Bill but even TV commentators remarked the Bills were getting more play and fewer vacations out Adams than ever before.

My sense is that Anderson may well get cut, but its interesting in bb.com interview with JMac he did make a point of noting only Peters, Gandy and Villarial as returning starters by name and leaving Bennie notable by his absence as falling into let the better man win pool.

Didn't break the bank at all (which is actually a much larger bank due to the new CBA) with this signing but they did pay him a significant bonus which will count against our cap whether we cut him or not.

Bennie clearly sucked in his play last year and even worse a chunk of this was die to lack of focus which should have been noted before he signed and can be difficult to change without a personality transplant currently beyond human technology and control.

Nevertheless the cap hit means he does get a chance to redeem himself with a new attitude that improves his production. 

While this is unlikely to occur, as recently as Sam Adams we saw a player with a clear attitude problem which led to him taking a vacaton half the time change his ways in conjunction with signing with the Bills, He not only made the Pro Bowl as a Bill but even TV commentators remarked the Bills were getting more play and fewer vacations out Adams than ever before.

My sense is that Anderson may well get cut, but its interesting in bb.com interview with JMac he did make a point of noting only Peters, Gandy and Villarial as returning starters by name and leaving Bennie notable by his absence as falling into let the better man win pool.

690230[/snapback]

Why should they cut Bennie now? Let Reyes an Preston compete with Andersopn and beat him out for a the job. The TD way was to cut a player and give the job to another. Under the Marv regime all starters will earn their stripes.