must read column-dr. z on poor offensive line play

dave mcbride

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...king/index.html

lots of money quotes, but here's one:

Some teams feel they can cure their problems along the offensive line by bringing in terrific line coaches. It doesn't work.

"You can't coach bad players," Giddings (director of Pro Scout, Inc.) says.

But they fall in love with them. Most of the OL coaches will agree that no other position coach on the team gets as close to his players as they do. Maybe it's because it's a unit that has to work closely together, or perhaps the reason is that these guys usually aren't great athletes, so there's an over-achieving factor they all share. But the players and their coach are tight, sometimes too tight. Sometimes the coaches like their guys so much as people that they become blinded to the fact that they're not very good players.

Parker should know about bad Offensive Line play.

That's like asking Randall Tex Cobb about how to take a punch.

50634[/snapback]

Well if I remember Parker helped anchor TWO Superbowl OL's. Now I don't think I am an OL Expert, but if you play for two different teams and BOTH make it to the superbowl...I don't think you exactly suck.

Just my 2 cents

Well if I remember Parker helped anchor TWO Superbowl OL's.  Now I don't think I am an OL Expert, but if you play for two different teams and BOTH make it to the superbowl...I don't think you exactly suck. 

Just my 2 cents

50637[/snapback]

parker became a very solid player - not great - as time went on.