Draft thoughts and Parrish, Preston

jahnyc

omg, so you're never going to take a guy in the top 10 because of stupid mw? that makes sense, if your team sucks that bad to be in the top 10, YOU NEED THE TALENT!!!!!

667800[/snapback]

No, you misunderstood me.

At the #8 pick, I want a sure thing.

Neither Justice, Bunkley nor Ngata are sure things.

If we can get Bush, M. Williams, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis or even Huff I would be happy & comfortable.

My point is about value.

At #8 I want good value or a trade down.

There are no sure things. Many times what people call sure things don't end up being that way. I just can't see spending that high a pick and money on a safety unless I KNOW for a fact that he'll be a game-changer. I mean the comments I heard from Huff about the weather in Buffalo alone scared the hell out of me. Then you hear stuff about Texas players being soft because they're sheltered and pampered down there. And it ALL starts with the lines.

There are no sure things.  Many times what people call sure things don't end up being that way.  I just can't see spending that high a pick and money on a safety unless I KNOW for a fact that he'll be a game-changer.  I mean the comments I heard from Huff about the weather in Buffalo alone scared the hell out of me.  Then you hear stuff about Texas players being soft because they're sheltered and pampered down there.  And it ALL starts with the lines.

667846[/snapback]

I forgot about what he said about the weather.....screw that guy. I think we need some sort of lineman anyway. Actually we need like eight of them, but I think definitely with our first pick we need a stud lineman.

There are no sure things.  Many times what people call sure things don't end up being that way.  I just can't see spending that high a pick and money on a safety unless I KNOW for a fact that he'll be a game-changer.  I mean the comments I heard from Huff about the weather in Buffalo alone scared the hell out of me.  Then you hear stuff about Texas players being soft because they're sheltered and pampered down there.  And it ALL starts with the lines.

667846[/snapback]

Agree about 'sure things'...it's an imposibility.

I have concerns about Huff as well but I have a lot more concerns about Justice, Bunkley & Ngata.

I think they're looking OL or DL first, and Ngata fits their description (character, great upside).  I guess we'll see.

667848[/snapback]

I think you are right in that they are looking for a lineman.

2 points though...

If a non-lineman of great talent drops i.e. Hawk, I think(hope) they will go for him.

The 'character' thing I think is misunderstood by most. Yes, the player has to be an upstanding citizen with his head screwed on right but...

He also has to be a focused individual on the field as well.

The worry I have on Ngata is his effort can be inconsistent& he takes too many plays off.

He does not(as I see it) fit into the character mold.

1.  I am having a hard time figuring out the pick of the Bills at #8.  Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, and Justice should be there but: 

Ngata may not fit the new scheme.

The Bills project Huff as a safety.

Bunkley has past injury problems and there may be some character issues.

Justice has character issues, may be raw, and the Bills do not project him as a top 10 player in the draft.

So where does this leave the Bills? 

2.  I don't think the Bills have much confidence in Parrish or Preston.  The Bills signed Davis, Price and re-signed Reed and Aiken.  Where does that leave Parrish?  I guess he battles Aiken, Davis and Smith for the last two WR spots on the roster.

Same with Preston.  The Bills signed Fowler to play center.  If the Bills thought Preston was ready, I don't think they would have acquired Fowler.

667757[/snapback]

Rather than Bills moves being a sign that they have given up on or even made clear conclusions about Preston or Parrish after their rookie play on a bad team, what seems likely is that this Bills braintrust is committed to competition.

One od TDs big mistakes was to simply assign the QB job to Losman based on assessment of his prospects based on less than one year of play in his rookie year. While I know Marv is a firm believer in the axiom that a team which has two starting QBs has no starting QB, the current Bills braintrust fortunately seems to be committed to competition on the field rather than simply designating am heir apparent.

There is plenty of time for competition on the field at voluntary minicamps, on the field in pre-season practices and games and even in the locker room to show leadership of teammates that the braintrust need not designate a wide variety of jobs before camp starts or for some jobs before a pre-season game or two.

Fowler is the lead C and Preston has been moved on the depth chart to G, but he will get some shots snapping the ball in practice or in games and if he merits the position he can get it.

Likewise though PP is the #2 WR according to the depth chart, Parrish, Davis, Reed and Aiken will all get a chance to take this job and not let it go. This is the way it should be done.

This is the way it should be done.

667999[/snapback]

I agree....and I think it should remain that way throughout the season, within reason. The last thing you want is complacency among your players.

I agree that there will be open competition at most positions (and that is a good thing), but I doubt that the Bills would have signed Fowler and Price if they thought that Preston and Parrish were ready to start and play at a high level. Both Fowler and Price were signed to contracts that seem to indicated that they are not being brought in to be back-ups. Maybe Preston can play at LG, we will see.