Trade down in the 1st rd and trade some of our

How many of you expect us to have a great year? How many of you hope that we have a good year? How many of you would be grateful if we just had a so-so year? I don't even have the nerve to ask how many of you think we will be garbage this year. The point is this, if we were to trade down in the 1st rd we would accumalate more 1st day picks. We already have a decent amount of draft picks and, in addition, they have great value. Based on our current status, not much should be accomblished this year. Say what you like about Saban and the Dolphins but I knew that he wasn't going to go crazy and clean out the whole house. He made some moves and then made evaluations on his players that were left. He then made some key additions and sold his remaining players on a plan. This was a good way to determine what the true needs were. Sound familiar so far? We purged the senior veterans who were nearing the end of their careers and/or who weren't cost efficient. We added some good solid players and still have good picks in the draft to compliment them. Give this administration and team the time to see where they truly stand. Now the following year you go about addressing your issues with higher valued draft picks. To make intelligent decisions it should be based on knowledge, not panic or fear.

Now that we have even more picks for the upcoming draft, we can fill our obvious needs with our 1st(s), 2nd(s) and our 3rd rd picks. These are quality picks and are less of a gamble or risk. I suggest that we take some of our mid rd picks and parlay them into better future picks for our organization. This is the time to do it. It's best to deal from a position of strength and this is one of our strengths, if not the only one. This is what made the Eagles and Patriots so successful. They just didn't think for today but planned on future drafts. We can blow our whole wad all at once but for what? A decent to maybe a good season? That's if all these picks are productive. No, I'd rather give up one of our 5th rd picks for a future 3rd or 4th rder and so on and so on. Do you get the picture?

With the shedule that we have, we are going to have SOME kind of short term success this season but I'm talking about LONG TERM success. Who knows, a successful long term plan may even help this organization stabilize itself financially enough to where it doesn't even have to worry about relocating.

If you're building for the future aren't you better off using the picks this year? Then players can get as much experience as possible so that they will be ready to play when we are ready to make a run.

sfladave1 is right. Even if we have the greatest draft ever this year, the rookies won't impact the team that much just by the mere fact that they are rookies. Today's contributors are usually draft picks from three or more years ago. If you want to be good in a couple of years, you keep the picks in this deep draft, draft well, and then let them gain experience.

Hard telling without knowing the underclassmen who declare, but I don't think next year's draft is shaping up to be as good as this year's... so I would not do this. I might however package some 2006 Day 2 picks with 2007 picks to try to move up in 2006 Day 1 if possible.

I thought when I mentioned mid round picks that the value wasn't as great of a loss. You have to give to get.

654845[/snapback]

But what are you going to get for packaging a couple of mid round picks together? As a poster above stated this is a draft that is deep in many of the positions that we have a great need for.

I understand your logic of having some additional picks in future years, but I think we lack depth in so many positions that we need to stock up on as many young players as possible. Then these players will be able to get playing experience while we are in the rebuilding mode, thus when we are able to make a serious run at the playoffs they will have real NFL experience under their belts.

I have POURED over the past drafts of the Eagles and Patriots. It's hard to argue with success. The early rd (the 1sts, 2nds and3rds) are the value picks. I don't want quanit, I want quality.

654852[/snapback]

Exactly. Im thinking that we package some of are "extra picks" that we've aquired and try to get another pick in the 2nd round- even late 2nd. Then you go to camp with three guys that you know can contribute. Hopefully (in no particular order) a dt an o-lineman and a safety.

Well fellas, I stated my points and I don't think that we can fill all our needs in this draft, nor should we. I truly believe that people are mistaken if they believe that this team is completely in the gutter. With the right management and some key additions, I think that we can be a mild threat to some decent teams this year. Don't expect much more than this. We can add some big pieces this year and then finish the product next year with early, high valued draft picks. It's just some food for thought.

PS- I'm editing and adding one more thought to this response. I think that we should try and bump up our second 5th, 6th, and the two 7th rd picks for next year's draft. Example; trade our second 5th rd pick for a possible round, round and a half earlier for next year. This would make it a late 3rd or to a early 4th rd pick. The 6th and two 7th rders to a round earlier in next year's draft. These picks are late ones, and at this point, they are more of a crapshoot. So in addition to our standard picks we would then be adding another possible 3rd to 4th rder, another 5th and hopefully two more 6ths. This is when you package picks to move up in a draft. That second 5th and one of the extra 6ths might be able to move us into a late 3rd/early 4th rd pick in next year's draft.