Moulds is a quitter

eball

Yes he could have jumped ship and left at any time. Why didn't he? Loyalty to the team that drafted him? Probably not. The fact that the Bills were willing to pay him the money he wanted? probably right.

Moulds stayed with Buffalo for 10 years cause the Bills were willing to give him the money he wanted. When the Bills called his bluff about wanting to retire a Bill, they asked him to take a py cut so they could afford to build a better team around him. He demanded a trade and got it. Go have fun with one of the only teams with more holes then Buffalo.

I was a full supporter of Moulds up until he had his mouth piece start spouting off about him willing to listen but not accept a paycut to stay with the team and then demanding a trade. Look at how many teams were interested in his service. Houston was the only team willing to make a deal for him. Everyone else said they were contacted by his agent but would wait til he is cut before they would talk deal. That sounds like a guy that is in high demand.

Review this past season and you will see that he just did not want to be here anymore and to that I say we don't want you here anymore then either.

653952[/snapback]

Back when Eric first became a free agent, Philly and I think the Titans offered Moulds more money than the Bills and everyobe for sure thought that he was gone. But since the Bills made a comparable offer, he chose to remain a Bill. Now if he had left then I still wouldn't call him a quitter for he has the right to chose where he wants to play. But I can see someone labeling him a quitter in that situation; wouldn't agree but I understand. In this current situation I can't see any relevance as no one knows where this team is headed and since he has stayed his time with the Bills, maybe its time for him o test different waters. There shouldn't be any ill feelings for him doing what he wants to do after spending 10 years in a business relationship that is one sided to begin with.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ONE game that we needed to win to stay in the PLAYOFF race.  ONE GAME?  ALL  games are important.  Right or wrong, careers are often defined by a season, a game, or a play.  I saw  A LOT of half-hearted efforts from Moulds last year, more than ONE GAME. 

I don't want to find problems with Moulds.  I don't care how many kids or women he has.  I know how good he was.  I do not assume I know what he was upset about.  It is no secret he did not want to play with JP and that he didn't like the offensive game plan.  Too BAD Eric, look at the scoreboard!!  So he came back and played well for Kelly Holcomb and himself.  Big deal, we were out of the running by then.  The team lacked veteran leadership last year and for whatever reason Moulds was a huge disappointment. 

He was a great talent but I will not glorify him.  He was paid well for his services.  I do get tired of hearing about how he played with many crappy QBs in his careeer.  That may be true but great players elevate others around them.  It is not like Moulds never dropped a ball, fumbled at a crucial time, or never failed to make a big play. 

Enough of the good bye Eric - we will miss you crap.  He has a nice $5M bonus coming, maybe that will eleviate the pain of last season for him.

653964[/snapback]

Playoff race? We were never in a playoff race in 2005. As far as Eric complaining the offensive gamplan; we ALL have cried about that for the last decade! Every other year it is some new philosohpy with the only constant being ERIC MOULDS! As far as his complaints about JP; while I prefer we stuck with JP, he had every right for last year was suppose to be make or break year for us after a strong finish in 2004. If he felt that Holcomb was better suited to get us on a winning track, there were plenty that agree with him (Not me I might add!)

As far as the statement: "Great players elevate others around them". Who ever said that he was great or a Hall of Famer? All most have said is that he is a good WR who may have been considered great if he played in better offensive schemes with better QB's; key word may. But if you have followed the Bills since 1996 then you know our biggest issues have been lack of offensive identity and inconsistent QB play. If you don't think that this can't affect the numbers a WR puts up then its obvious that you are not open minded to this topic and want to label him whatever. All I can say is that while he wasn't the greatest, he played admirably and put up good numbers while wearing our uniform and I wish him well. Don't treat him like he was a TO or Keyshawn Johnson type!

First of all, the Texans gave him $5 million up front as a signing bonus.  Staying with the Bills would have involved staying for LESS than he could have received elsewhere. So get your facts straight.

Second, if you saw the pathetic excuse for a passing game this team has had over the years, then you would understand his frustrations. One can only hope Fairchild sets things straight in this organization from an offensive standpoint because the team surely needs it.  By going to Houston, Moulds gets to a team that could contend in a few years and has a great offensive-minded head coach.  Cincinnati managed to turn things around in 2 years.  Same can happen in Houston now that they have some solid pieces in place.

The Bills, on the other hand, have an aging defense, an uncertain QB situation for the 10th straight year, a putrid offensive line that has been continuously ignored, and an inexperienced general manager who has been out of football for 10 years.

But yeah.... I hate Moulds!!! He sucks!!!! It's all HIS FAULT!!!!!!

Bills RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

653641[/snapback]

I don't agree that Moulds is a quitter but I also don't think he left for the money. He received a $5 million signing bonus and $9 million over 4 years. Usually the base salary in the first year is low because of the signing bonus. So let's guess that his salary is $1 million the first year, $2 million in year 2 and $3 million in years 3 and 4. EM was scheduled to make $7+ million this year from the Bills and his agent said he would not take ANY paycut. And I would guess his salary for the next few years was much higher than $2-3 million per year.

We don't know how much of a paycut the Bills were asking but the Texans contract seems very reasonable dollars-wise. I think the Bills would have been happy to give that to him.

I agree with the rest of your post and there is no denying that EM had many other reasons to want to leave (although I'm still disappointed that he did) but I'm pretty sure money was not one of them (sadly, it would actually make me feel better if he did only leave for the money).

There shouldn't be any ill feelings for him doing what he wants to do after spending 10 years in a business relationship that is one sided to begin with.

654083[/snapback]

Well I guess thats your opinion, I would have had no ill feelings towards him if the Bills had said they had to cut him cause they could not afford him or because he would not take a paycut after a season in which he came to play every game and was a team player. He wasn't that this year, and then had his mouthpiece spout off how he would not take a paycut and wanted out. Go ahead, leave, have fun playing for a team that is in worse shape then the Bills.

I also don't care who you are, if you can't take a paycut when you make over a million dollars a year to play in a couple games, I'm not going to look nicely towards you when you decide to leave somewhere cause they are willing to pay you what you want.

Playoff race? We were never in a playoff race in 2005. As far as Eric complaining the offensive gamplan; we ALL have cried about that for the last decade! Every other year it is some new philosohpy with the only constant being ERIC MOULDS! As far as his complaints about JP; while I prefer we stuck with JP, he had every right for last year was suppose to be make or break year for us after a strong finish in 2004. If he felt that Holcomb was better suited to get us on a winning track, there were plenty that agree with him (Not me I might add!)

As far as the statement: "Great players elevate others around them". Who ever said that he was great or a Hall of Famer? All most have said is that he is a good WR who may have been considered great if he played in better offensive schemes with better QB's; key word may. But if you have followed the Bills since 1996 then you know our biggest issues have been lack of offensive identity and inconsistent QB play. If you don't think that this can't affect the numbers a WR puts up then its obvious that you are not open minded to this topic and want to label him whatever. All I can say is that while he wasn't the greatest, he played admirably  and put up good numbers while wearing our uniform and I wish him well. Don't treat him like he was a TO or Keyshawn Johnson type!

654104[/snapback]

Yes - we still had a chance at a playoff spot at the time of the Miami debacle.

Using words like "we all" and "most of us" makes it sound like I am disagreeing with most of the posts here, I'm not.

You think Moulds had "every right to complain". Fair enough. I don't. I expect more from a veteran leader. I especially did not like the time and place where Moulds chose his battle.

I agree. He is a very good player, not a great player capable of elevating the play of other around him.

I do not consider him a TO or a Keyshawn type ... I never even mentioned those guys ... YOU DID.

Final word from me: He was a very good player, who played under some unfortunate circumstances. His frustration got the best of him and led him to make poor decisions last year. We will miss him this year, we have no one else even close as the #2 receiver. Yes, right, he was the #2 reciever.

Best wishes to Eric. And yes, I will ALWAYS remember he quit against Miami.

What production?

I'm excited about Lee Evans. Lee has far more ability than Eric. Or atleast he has shown it from the beginning and Eric was just another receiver on our team when he first came out from college.

Moulds was horribly inconsistant last year. He has the big body and thats that. He pick and choose when he wanted to play hard and that drove me nuts.

652924[/snapback]

I am excited about Lee as well.

But without Moulds, I've seen nothing to lead me to believe Lee ain't the next Peerless. Especially with two journeymen and one (to date) bust getting him the ball.

That said, here's to Lee setting every Bills single season receiving mark!