Anyone read the Ask Donahoe and Ask Mularkey

ACor58

Here's what TBD expected to hear as the answers from Mike Mularkey:

Mike Parrish (Saratoga Spring, NY): Why is the offense not using the tight end in short patterns to help the QB gain his confidence. It seems to me that with the line still trying to bond, this would help when the wide outs are having problems releasing into their patters. Drew's best years were when he had the luxury of Ben Coates being open 5-10 yards up field. The Pats will be coming hard at the QB and this would be a nice way to slow down the rush.

Mike Mularkey: We've tried, but our tight ends couldn't catch a cold.

Nathan Auble (Rochester, NY): Is there any sort of punishment that you give to players that commit game-changing penalties, whether it is physical or monetary? I feel like players never mean to do that sort of thing, but will definitely stay away from it if they spend an extra 10 minutes at practice doing wind sprints every time they block in the back or pay $5,000 every time they hold on a kickoff return (that goes for 88 yards).

MM: They are usually suspended...from participating in the Madden tournament that we use to draw up the game plan for the next team.

Mike Harrison (Amherst, NY): It seems like your "best" players are the ones making the biggest bonehead mistakes: Moulds, Bledsoe, Fletcher, Villarrial. At what point do you bench these prima donnas to send a message?

MM: Talk to the boss. He's the one dictating the starters every week. Do you really think if I had a choice that I'd pick these players?

Chuck Kman (Buffalo, NY): Every now and then I hear Bledsoe or yourself talk about something called a "sight adjustment". I was wondering what exactly that meant?

MM: If the defense blitzes you from the strong side or the weak side, you have to turn Drew's helmet a different way after the play so he can see out it again.

Russ (New Port Richey): Don't you think it is time to do something about the offensive line? They haven't been that great for a few years now, and they do not seem any better this year. When Bledsoe gets sacked six times in one game, there is a problem. I have been a Bills fan for years, and I hate to tell you, this is the worst offensive line I've seen.

MM: Bledsoe was NOT sacked six times in that game...it was seven. MW is being paid the big bucks so we have to start him. Other than that, I'll see if I can talk Coach McNally off the ledge so he can answer.

Bob Silver (Rochester, NY): Why did you not challenge two critical officials' calls in the Oakland game? 1 - The safety no-call. 2 - The Travis Henry touchdown no-call. Hasn't the NFL admitted that they were blown calls?

MM: The safety I attempted to challenge but that's not a challengeable play. As for the touchdown, I just wanted to get out of there, and a challenge would have extended the game even further. I mean, have you seen their fans?! They are some scary mo fo's!

Andy (NC): Coach, I really am glad the Bills selected you as coach and I like the way you keep running the ball, but I was wondering if you were going to start going a little more vertical in the passing game and take more chances with Drew Bledsoe?

MM: Well, we would, but we need to keep Bledsoe vertical first. Besides, for some reason, whenever we send our receivers out, the other guys send guys out to try to stop our receivers from catching the ball. I checked with the league and they said it was legal for them to do that, so now I have to figure out another way.

Matt Hagstrom (Bemus Point, NY): How long do you back Bledsoe when he just doesn't seem to be producing?

MM: Who says he isn't producing? Oh, you mean on the field. As long as the boss says so.

Jeff Taylor (Fairport, NY): Why isn't McGahee being given more reps in the game? Most specifically, why isn't he being used on short yardage and short and goal situations when he has proven to be a better short distance, hardnosed runner than Henry?

MM: Did you see what happened to his knee?! I'm not letting him in there until the opposing team agrees to hit him with soft pillows instead of tackling him.

Doug Heise (Springfield, MO): The Bills seem to have all the physical tools. Are the problems due to a breakdown in the mental aspect of the game?

MM: Yeah, 'tools' would be the word I'd use to describe the team I've been handed, and I know I'm about three stupid plays away from a mental breakdown myself...

...and here are TD's answers:

Richard Arnold (Stratford, Ontario): Seems some circles are criticizing you for not improving the O-line, yet quality players still want to come to Buffalo (i.e. Vincent). Do you and they know something the average fan does not? Are the lines, especially the quality acquisitions on the O-line, the next big piece of the puzzle that falls into place to make this team competitive?

Tom Donahoe: You dare to question my brilliance?! You ungrateful putz! I bring in the best UDFA left guard that league minimum can by, and you have the nerve to say I have not improved it?! Moron.

Susan (Hamburg, NY): With many fans complaining about the offense, tell me what has made the defense so successful the past year and two games.

TD: Because I brought in all but one of the players. They are mine, I tell you, mine!

Jim (Orchard Park, NY): How is Losman recovering and when may he return to practice?

TD: JP is proceeding ahead of schedule....*snap*....oops, well, it looks like that's not true, and he won't be available for the rest of the year. But don't worry, we have Bledsoe! He does no wrong!

Edward Elley (Charlotte, NC): Is there any way that the Bills can request that those officials who worked the Bills/Oakland game not be permitted to officiate another Bills game?

TD: Officials don't win or lose games. They do a great job. They make mistakes in games like we all do but the officiating is in good hands with the league office and we really have no control over the crews we receive. Did I write that correctly commish? Because I don't want to be paying those stupid fines because your stupid refs screw us over game after game.

Thomas Gaygen (Lockport, NY): Why wasn't anything done to improve the offensive line in the off-season? (A real center would have been nice, moving Teague elsewhere on the O-line).

TD: Didn't you read the answer to the first question, you ingrate?! Besides, we have McNally! See, ain't I smart?

Williams Rule (High Falls, NY): Despite picking up two skill position players in the first round of the last two drafts, why hasn't there been a talented offensive lineman drafted? The skill positions can't make anything happen if the offensive line is lying on their backs. Average talent in the skill positions is made better by excellent line play.

TD: What is it with this "O-line this" and "O-line" that crap?! I drafted an O-lineman back in 2002 in the first round, and look where that got us! Er, I mean, we have excellent players all around. I know that because I picked them myself!

Donnie (Buffalo, NY): I am a huge fan and I am not here to complain, but I do have a question. It is obvious to anyone and everyone we have probably the best defense in the league or top 2, we have had the exact same problems with the offense for the last 10-12 games and may I add we have some good weapons…are you keeping Drew in there because of his reputation hoping he will come around or do we not want to explore options so we can win? I love Drew but in our situation he is not the guy. It is time to win not excuse close losses.

TD: blah blah blah blah "Drew's not the guy." Geez, where'd you pick these questions from? I saw him throwing frozen ropes in 80 MPH winds in 20 degree temperatures, of course he's the guy!

Philip Sullivan (Hamburg, NY): Would you agree that most NFL "football people" (including yourself) have no clue regarding how to evaluate quarterbacks? "Football people" look at arm strength, height, throwing motion, etc. (Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Todd Collins, Ryan Leaf) when what really counts is mobility and instantaneous decision making (Brady, Pennington, Montana, Flutie, Garcia). Am I right or wrong?

TD: Yeah, I'd agree to most, but not to the "yourself" part. I'm Tom Donahoe, dammit! WRONG!

Adam Wilsman (Clarence, NY): I was just curious, how do you approach the negativity of the local media? Since the season began, the local media have said a great deal negative about the work that you and Coach Mularkey have done. To what degree do you pay attention to what is said? Do you read the paper and use it as motivation? Or d you simply try and ignore it all?

TD: I don't read that crap, and I've been trying to get Sullivan's and Felser's credentials pulled since I got here. Ole Whitey my ass! Whiney losers, all of them!

Craig Feinberg (Buffalo, NY): Mr. Donahoe, how do you justify your performance as GM when you have spent two first-round picks in 4 years on a QB, already misfired on one coaching staff, misjudged a No. 4 overall draft choice. Selected only 1-Pro Bowler in 4 years, and have a 17-33 record as the Bills GM?

TD: Wow, no one ever put it that way. Maybe I will walk up the hall to old Ralphie's office and offer him up my resignation right now......YEAH, RIGHT! Insolent jerk!