How many years til the Bills are good

I don't know where i got the idea of this, but it seemed like one of those things that you come to as the result of an epiphany. I don't know, i thought it would be interesting to see who you guys think will still be around when Buffalo finally climbs over .500 or even makes the playoffs.

Hard call and so hard to manage in this day and age. My uneducated gut says the Bills will be a pretty serious contender in 2008. Not only through their own moves, but the moves other teams have to make because of salary concerns. I will also jump out on a limb and say that a bunch of not very high profile but solid players will be here (some yet to be mentioned, and a few picked up next year), and you will likely see a new running back, a couple linebackers and quarterback when it does happen.

Hard call and so hard to manage in this day and age. My uneducated gut says the Bills will be a pretty serious contender in 2008. Not only through their own moves, but the moves other teams have to make because of salary concerns. I will also jump out on a limb and say that a bunch of not very high profile but solid players will be here (some yet to be mentioned, and a few picked up next year), and you will likely see a new running back, a couple linebackers and quarterback when it does happen.

643923[/snapback]

So wait are you saying that we may lose Coy Wire or god forbid another guy like Justin Bannan. HAHAHA.

Not high profile but solid players, so guys like Sam Aiken, Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, and possibly Jason Peters?

Holcomb, Moulds, Villarial, Vincent will be gone. They are our only current double-digit veterans.

The next tier of veterans? Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, all with 9 years (I guess I never realized that before now). They'll see us get to the playoffs. Them and Shelton.

Holcomb, Moulds, Villarial, Vincent will be gone. They are our only current double-digit veterans.

The next tier of veterans?  Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, all with 9 years (I guess I never realized that before now). They'll see us get to the playoffs. Them and Shelton.

643928[/snapback]

Oh okay i gotcha now, the older veterans that will grow old and become the gentlemen on social security in a few years.

Ok. I will play. My answer is 2006.

We have not had the draft and free agency is not over. Let's see what the roster looks like when we begin training camp.

Offense will come together behind a power running game.

TKO back will reinvigorate the defense.

The Special Teams will be the best in the league.

The form we showed when we dominated New England in New England for 3 quarters and dominated Miami in Miami will last for 4 quarters due to better coaching.

If you want to accuse me of wearing rose colored glasses, you may be right but it is a heck of a lot more fun than gnashing my teeth and playing the doomed game. As some of us old-timers have reminded you, this team is no where near as bad as some we have had in the past. There is hope. Sometimes I wonder how miserable some around here are that they can only play the negative game. Hope it doesn't translate into how you look at life.

Go Bills

I, too, am optimistic. I'll say 2006-07 as well.

I think we'll have a very strong draft class, because the draft is strong in the areas we need help in.

It'll be an "even"-tempered club, thanks to Jauron at the helm, and more experienced at game adjustment.

The "D" will rebound, and will profit from our draft picks at the DT position, where a newbie can help right away.

With some time to jell, the "O"-Line will help our QB go through his progressions, and twin deep threats will make Willis look better.

I agree about Special Teams being a game-changing force.

Ok.  I will play.  My answer is 2006.

We have not had the draft and free agency is not over.  Let's see what the roster looks like when we begin training camp.

The form we showed when we dominated New England in New England for 3 quarters and dominated Miami in Miami will last for 4 quarters due to better coaching.

If you want to accuse me of wearing rose colored glasses, you may be right but it is a heck of a lot more fun than gnashing my teeth and playing the doomed game.  As some of us old-timers have reminded you, this team is no where near as bad as some we have had in the past.  There is hope.  Sometimes I wonder how miserable some around here are that they can only play the negative game.  Hope it doesn't translate into how you look at life.

Go Bills

643935[/snapback]

I just can't get behind 2006, though I'm not saying it's impossible. The Bills still have to win their division to go further. Other divisions are too strong to think Wild Card. I'm guessing an improvement in offense across the board this year, with either Losman (possibly Nall?) as more or less a caretaker QB. The bigger holes will be defensively as the entire squad is going to have to work into a completely new defense for most of them and as of now safety is weak. I just don't see camp giving enough learning curve. They will start getting it together around game four or five. 2007 with it's inevitable player moves will lose a couple (probably when you see Fletcher go) and hopefully gain the pieces to make a good run. Call it a dress rehearsal for 2008.

I like the idea of stocking up on good, not great players for reasonable money. Look what happened when Spikes went down, along with the other defensive woes and losses.

Lastly, here we go groundhog day with what amounts to a new management and coaching staff. 2006 would be wonderful, but if there is anything clicking at all I think I'm realistic in saying it's going to take 2 seasons to put everything together.

It is in the good spirits of Bills fans that we always are optimistic about the upcoming season, but this year i have to be honest. I think the team is going to struggle to reach over 5 wins.

I think a new system, an inexperienced quarterback, a less than par o-line and a d-line that showed little last year, is going to make it difficult to be good this year.

I think that the draft will contribute to the team but not enough to make a significant difference instantly.

Given that everyone seemed to think that last year we were headed for the playoffs. And then we sucked.

Now, it seems most think we'll suck. So, I'm suddenly feelign better about hittin 8-8 next year.

Given that everyone seemed to think that last year we were headed for the playoffs.  And then we sucked.

Now, it seems most think we'll suck.  So, I'm suddenly feelign better about hittin 8-8 next year.

643968[/snapback]

I think if this team is going to end up being anything, more than likely it will be without Willis McGahee. I think he is flocking for the free agent waters as soon as his contract is up, and they will carry him to a warm place.

What is this insight based upon?

644020[/snapback]

This is based on the fact that McGahee does not look that excited to be in Buffalo. I think if he had the chance to leave for another team down in Florida, he would. He lives down there, warm weather, his family lives there, and his friends live there. I think he would leave. Just an opinion but i think he wold leave.

It won't happen until after Jauron and Levy have failed and either resign, get fired (or pass away given their age). They will have to be replaced by a new regime, hopefully more competent, and will need time to rebuild. I'll say the Levy era lasts six years, then the new regime, assuming competency, will need three years. So 2015.

This is, by far, the most realistic prediction as well.

This is based on the fact that McGahee does not look that excited to be in Buffalo. I think if he had the chance to leave for another team down in Florida, he would. He lives down there, warm weather, his family lives there, and his friends live there. I think he would leave. Just an opinion but i think he wold leave.

644031[/snapback]

I definetly agree......when the temps start to drop...McGahee looks less and less inclined to take on anybody....he plays like he hates the cold

Ok.  I will play.  My answer is 2006.

We have not had the draft and free agency is not over.  Let's see what the roster looks like when we begin training camp.

If you want to accuse me of wearing rose colored glasses, you may be right but it is a heck of a lot more fun than gnashing my teeth and playing the doomed game.  As some of us old-timers have reminded you, this team is no where near as bad as some we have had in the past.  There is hope.  Sometimes I wonder how miserable some around here are that they can only play the negative game.  Hope it doesn't translate into how you look at life.

Go Bills

643935[/snapback]

Ditto. I think you play the season in front of you. With free agency, retirements and injuries you cannot even think about "good" even three years from now. We had two very bad coaches in the last few years and still managed to be close to .500. Fix the obvious problem (defensive and offensive line) and we'll be fine.