Bills pick up Antonio Gates.....

CJPearl2

Whoooo!  Lets ignore the gaping hole at DT, OT and OG and go for a TE!  Whoooo!

Drafting skill players has worked so well the last few years, why ruin what we got going on here?

We need grunts, plain and simple.  We need boring but effective picks in the draft, screw the sexy flavor of the month picks.  Drafting a TE would only mean Losman has another option to LOOK at before he's run over by incoming defensive linemen.

640590[/snapback]

Tough call, BGiM.

We do need big guys up front, and Lord knows I've been one of the most vocal about upgrading the lines here for years, but we also have to be wary of drafting for need. What I'm hearing from the DT-starved fans here is akin to what I heard last year about "we NEED to draft Mike Nugent". After all, he was a one of a kind placekicker and all that crap. Yeah, he sure wowed the world last year, eh?

Here's what I think. If you want to draft for need, then move up and get either the best LT prospect in years (Ferguson) or the best pass rusher to come along since Peppers (Williams). That would be a bold move to upgrade the team and bring in an impact player. I know Ngata is a big guy w/ some athleticism, and I do like the guy, but people are losing sight of something w/ the whole 2 gap DT issue. Was there this much excitement and clamor over the last couple of big run stuffers we brought here (Ted Washington and Pat Williams)? Were either of these guys praised as saviors when they arrived in Buffalo, or did we have to break the bank to acquire them? Neither were taken 8th overall, were they?

If the Bills do nothing more in free agency to address DT, then I guess Ngata has to be a very solid candidate w/ the 8th pick. I personally think we could target a guy like Babatunde Oshinowo of Stanford a bit later and still use our higher pick to land a quality player, whether it's on the OL (trade up for D'Brickashaw Ferguson or down for one of the interior OL like Jean-Gilles or Mangold, or trade down and take Winston), DL (trade down and get Hali, trade up for Super Mario), a skill player (like Davis) or the secondary (Huff).

Man, posts like this frustrate the hell out of me..  while I don't entirely disagree that the offense needs help.. it's all about the lines! You don't build a respectable team by getting skill position players first, and linemen second. No one knows how good J.P., Willis or any damned receiver on this team for that matter, can be, because we haven't had a decent line since the "Glory Days". It's time for Bills fans to come to terms with the idea that this team is going to be 6-10 next year, (at the very best) regardless of who we draft or sign in free agency. Good teams are not made over night, it will take 2-3 seasons. Those that are made overnight, never last.

640992[/snapback]

IMO the Bills can still build the lines with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. But JP needs more weapons than just Lee Evans and a player of Davis' pedigree will not be there after round one.

Exactly.  Can anybody name a position on this team that cannot be upgraded?  OK, we're set at punter.  But, otherwise, drafting a stud, regardless of position, only improves this team.

641167[/snapback]

And long snapper, you can't forget him! :blush:

I'd rather go with a best available player at #8 then a guy who is best player at his position just to fill a need. Either trade up to get the best lineman or back to get one where they are worthy of being picked. Ngata is a reach at #8 IMHO just to fill a need, most draft boards have him past #10 if Buffalo doesn't take him