Some thoughts on Bills--free agency, draft

jahnyc

Some thoughts regarding free agency and related items:

1. I like that Marv Levy has targeted some restricted free agents. It would make more sense to me to target restricted free agents on teams that lack cap space. The deals that the Bills offered were not so front loaded or large to keep the Bears and the Cardinals from matching the offers.

2. Interesting that we have heard nothing from Nate Clements or his agent. Are the Bills negotiating a deal with Clements? I doubt it, and that is why I am surprised that we have not heard more squawking from the Clements camp.

3. I hope that the Bills will consider readiness to step in and start as one of the most important criteria in their consideration of draft picks. We have had very little contribution from our draft picks in their first year over the last number of years (Losman, McGahee, Parrish, etc.).

4. Really need to address the oline and defensive tackle. Drafting alone will not fill these needs.

5. I don't think the Bills will get much for Moulds. I would expect that most teams will wait the situation out, assuming that the Bills will eventually have to cut him. If he is cut, the Bills do not have a wr on the roster to play opposite Evans. They do have a bunch of #3 or #4 wide receivers (Reed, Parrish, Davis).

6. I look at Fowler, Triplett, Royal, and Bowen and wonder if they are upgrades over the players that they are replacing. I like the acquisition of Nall. Not sure I understand why Reed was re-signed.

3.  I hope that the Bills will consider readiness to step in and start as one of the most important criteria in their consideration of draft picks.  We have had very little contribution from our draft picks in their first year over the last number of years (Losman, McGahee, Parrish, etc.).

5.  I don't think the Bills will get much for Moulds.  I would expect that most teams will wait the situation out, assuming that the Bills will eventually have to cut him.  If he is cut, the Bills do not have a wr on the roster to play opposite Evans.  They do have a bunch of #3 or #4 wide receivers (Reed, Parrish, Davis).

6.  I look at Fowler, Triplett, Royal, and Bowen and wonder if they are upgrades over the players that they are replacing.  I like the acquisition of Nall.  Not sure I understand why Reed was re-signed.

639606[/snapback]

These are the ones I wanted to talk about so I shall do that. First off....

3. I understand Losman. Parrish was a useless pick but please dont put McGahee in that group. Especially considering he's reached 2000 yards faster then any bills rb in history. I hardly think he's under performed.

5. You're right/wrong. Right that the bills wont get "much" for a 32 year old wr. Wrong in assuming the bills have to cut hi, The Bills dont have to do anything with Moulds. They could keep him at his current salary and still have enough cap room to sign fre agents and draft picks. The only problem is Moulds doesn't play like a 10.1 million dollar wr. A Team like Denver with their draft picks might be willing to pony up a 4th rd pick.

6. Melvin Fowler is an upgrade from teague. Unlike Teague Fowler wont get man handled at the point of attack or thrown backwards. He also plays the c position with a nasty streak. Fairly athletic and strong. I view this as an upgrade.

Robert Royal- I've pretty much seen all I wanted to ever see of Mark Campbell. He was brutaly bad and very slow. Royal is younger and a better blocker. Will fill the role of a Brandon Manumaleuna in Fairchilds offense. Maybe we'll get luck and he'll be to us what Jason Dunn is to Kansas City. If Everett comes back healthy I believe he can do some damage as a receiving threat.

Matt Bowen- an upgrade :ph34r: I really hope we grab a safety or 2 in the draft. Thats a definite weak spot of our defense right now.

Josh Reed was re-signed because you can always use some good wr's. While obviousily not living up to the hype he's proven himself to be a decent #3/#4 type wr. He'll continue in that role.

Andre Davis was a good signing. Davis another speedster adds just that. He's also a good st's player. You can never have enough speed on your team and our offense the past few seasons has been lacking that outside of evans.

Don't know much about Craig Nall packer fans I've talked to seem to like him so theres that. Maybe one of our qb's will step up hopefully.

2.  Interesting that we have heard nothing from Nate Clements or his agent.  Are the Bills negotiating a deal with Clements?  I doubt it, and that is why I am surprised that we have not heard more squawking from the Clements camp.

639606[/snapback]

On this, the new CBA plays a part. I am not sure of the specifics, but the new CBA gives you more time to sign a Franchise guy and still keep the tag open. Again,not sure of the specifics, but the old cba stated something to the effect you had to sign those plaeyrs before the draft to a long term deal, or not until like aug 15 if you wanted to retain the ability to tag someone agian next year.

Now, i think that has been extended to like July 1 or something. So, do your FA shopping, see ya got left, then go on to doing Clements deal. Ya know any deal he does will be less in cap charge than the franchise charge, which the Bills are carrying on the cap now, so no matter what you will have the room.

1. I don't think McGahee has underperformed, but he could not play his first year and that was the point I was trying to make. I have wondered whether drafting Steinbach (Bengals) instead would have yielded better (and immediate) results, but I agree that overall, McGahee was good pick.

2. I agree that the Bills have enough cap room for Moulds, but it will not matter if Moulds refuses to play for the Bills.

3. Is Fowler an upgrade over Teague? Fowler also seems undersized.

4. I am okay with re-signing Reed, but I was suprised by the amount of his contract.

6. Melvin Fowler is an upgrade from teague.  Unlike Teague Fowler wont get man handled at the point of attack or thrown backwards. He also plays the c position with a nasty streak. Fairly athletic and strong. I view this as an upgrade. 

639616[/snapback]

Actually, Melvin sounds a hell of a lot like Teague only bigger. I've read that he can be over-powered and is very athletic.