Why Paddy's Not at Work, Today

From the Celtic Stone Songbook (best read aloud, with an Irish lilt). :D

Why Paddy's Not At Work, Today

Dear boss I write this note, for to tell you of my plight,

and at the time of writing, I am not a pretty sight.

My body is all black and blue, my face a deathly gray.

And I write this note to say why Paddy's not at work, today.

While working on the fourteenth floor, some bricks I had to clear.

For to throw them down from off the top, seemed like a good idea, But the foreman he would not agree, he being an awful sod.

He said I'd have to cart them down the ladder in my hod.

Well, clearing all those bricks by hand, it seemed so very slow. So I hoisted up a barrel and secured the rope below.

But in my haste to do the job, I was too blind to see, that a barrel full of building bricks is heavier than me.

So, when I untied the rope, of course, the barrel fell like lead. And clinging tightly to the rope, I started up instead.

I shot up like a rocket, to my dismay I found, that halfway up I met the bloody barrel coming down.

Well, the barrel broke my shoulder as towards the ground it sped. And when I reached the top I banged the pulley with my head.

I clung on tight, though numb with shock, from that almighty blow,

While the barrel spilled out half its bricks, some fourteen floors below.

Now, when the bricks had fallen from the barrel to the floor, I then outweighed the barrel, so I started down once more. Still clinging tightly to the rope I raced towards the ground and landed on those broken bricks that lay scattered all around.

Well, as I lay there moaning, sure I though I'd passed the worst. But when the barrel hit the top, 'twas when the bottom burst.

A shower of bricks rains down on me; I didn't have a hope. And in the great confusion, I let go the bloody rope.

Well, the barrel now was heavier, and it started down once more and it landed right on top of me, as I lay there on the floor. It broke three ribs and my left arm and I can only say,

That I hope you understand why Paddy's not at work, today.

Savannah

BTW, for a really fun time, put this on your calendar for next year if you can. Savannah parties like Mardis Gras for a week, has the second largest parade in America (after only New York), and you can wander the streets with open container. The whole place smells like beer.

Savannah

BTW, for a really fun time, put this on your calendar for next year if you can. Savannah parties like Mardis Gras for a week, has the second largest parade in America (after only New York), and you can wander the streets with open container. The whole place smells like beer.

633256[/snapback]

HERE HERE! I have been sloppy drunk at St. Patty's Day in Savannah. A great time!

Savannah

633256[/snapback]

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Really! The t-shirt says "I got Rivered on Drunk Street."

In 2001, I was out the night before the parade with my buddy's wife and her 3 friend. All blondes. We walk into some bar and the bouncer says "Look at this guy. 4 blondes in tow." I said, "Look pal, I don't go anywhere without at least 4 blondes." Good times, good times.

"No one leaves a Joe Odom party without a traveler."

633311[/snapback]

"New York is boring, this place is like Gone with the wind on mescaline".

A very under rated movie. What's really funny, is Savannah at least used to be just like that. I've had a few beers here and there with Sonny Seiler. Kevin Spacey took a big interest in the place and donated a pretty big hunk of money towards a theater restoration project on the river. The place has become a bit of a "secret" celebrity get away, which in the long run hasn't helped the ambience.

Already planning it, as St. Pats is on a Saturday next year!!:lol:

"New York is boring, this place is like Gone with the wind on mescaline".

A very under rated movie. What's really funny, is Savannah at least used to be just like that. I've had a few beers here and there with Sonny Seiler. Kevin Spacey took a big interest in the place and donated a pretty big hunk of money towards a theater restoration project on the river. The place has become a bit of a "secret" celebrity get away, which in the long run hasn't helped the ambience.

633340[/snapback]

As in most cases, the movie in no way did justice to the book. Last time we were there, we took the "book tour." I'll never forget, the driver had a tatoo of the bird girl between his knee and his ankle! It's a great place! I never have figured out how/when the Irish arrived?

As in most cases, the movie in no way did justice to the book.  Last time we were there, we took the "book tour."  I'll never forget, the driver had a tatoo of the bird girl between his knee and his ankle!  It's a great place!  I never have figured out how/when the Irish arrived?

633386[/snapback]

Short answer is that it was one of the primary immigration destinations during the 1848 potato famine. Part of what makes Savannah so much fun, is the demographics. We call it either a little big city, or a big little city. There's old timers from England from the Ogelthorpe days, Irish, a large Jewish, large Greek, African American, as well as the many SCAD students wandering about from all over the world. Savannah also boasts one of the larger eastern ports. It's not unusual to be sitting between a serbian sailor and a "hollywood celebrity" at one of the watering holes down on the river. Really hard to be bored there. Just about everyone is a talker, with some good stories to tell.

Bib -

I may be asking you for advice when I do plan the trip.  Cool?

633437[/snapback]

No problem, but I would consider booking a hotel like, next week. They book fast. A lot of people have standing reservations, like season tickets. Quite a few locals will book rooms downtown and stay there instead of trying to navigate the place back and forth.

Short answer is that it was one of the primary immigration destinations during the 1848 potato famine.

633411[/snapback]

Well Norm, most of the Irish immigrants during the Famine came into New York and Boston.

The vast majority of Irish immigrants that settled KY, TN, and GA actually arrived in PA, MD, and VA during the 1720s and 30s and their ancestors made there way south - after GA was no longer used as a penal colony.

And while they came from Ireland, they were more Scot than Irish. They were Ulster-Scots (Scotch-Irish) who came from Ulster on the east coast of Ireland.

Well Norm, most of the Irish immigrants during the Famine came into New York and Boston.

The vast majority of Irish immigrants that settled KY, TN, and GA actually arrived in PA, MD, and VA during the 1720s and 30s and their ancestors made there way south - after GA was no longer used as a penal colony. 

And while they came from Ireland, they were more Scot than Irish.  They were Ulster-Scots (Scotch-Irish) who came from Ulster on the east coast of Ireland.

633481[/snapback]

Sorry, forgot there's a pretty big Scottish contingent, too. And I said, short answer. There was one period 1850's where a lot of the immigration went to NYC, Boston, Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans. Savannah river valley got big chunks of Irish at that time. At one point in the period Savannah's population was about 70% Irish, mostly laborers and most through recent immigration to get away from the economic problems in Ireland. At that time, less predudice in the south than in Boston or NYC. Maybe it had something to do with the shipping lines? Cotton factoring was what built Savannah in the 1800's - had a lot of ships coming in and out. Don't really know why, not my heritage (Polish) so never dug into it. Charleston and NO were cotton shippers too. Could that just have been a convienient stop and cargo for an inbound trader?