Ghosts of free agents past

While I am not against free agency, I can only remember a handfull of free agents that have helped the team. The only offensive free agent I can remember being a good get was Kenneth Davis, back when it was just plan B free agency. Remember going after Quinn Early who was supposed to be a big get, or Kevin Williams-how about Bobby Humphry. Defensively we have done a little better-Ted Washington, Bryce Paup, Spielman where good gets, and Spikes was one of TDs good decisions but beyond that the best you can think of is Sam Adams who wined was suspended and while had a few bright moments proved little without Pat Williams next to him. I like the pickup of Tripplett, and while not overjoyed by the others the fill a need on this team and may be better options then what we had. Maybe we will get more , maybe we wont, but either way this team is better with Marv then TD, so lets give him atleast enough rope to hang himself before counting him a failure a few weeks into the job.

Steve Christie (also Plan B) and London Fletcher are the only ones I can think of that you left off.

Free Agency is an exciting time for fans, but I remember a year or two stretch back in the 90s when we didn't sign but one or two players (not big names either). That is the ideal to me. You have a good scouting/drafting department and you do a good job of keeping your talent.

To me, free agency is something teams get into when they aren't doing those two jobs.

Don't forget Bobby Shaw! But otherwise, that's true, the Bills offesnive FAs have been miserable since forever. It's all draft picks - Willis, Henry, Antowain, Thurman at RB, Moulds, A. Reed, Price, at WR (was Lofton a trade?), and god knows about that trainwreck of an offensive line. Trey Teague?

But don't we have the same scouting department that brought us our current level of roster talent?

Just another thing Marv probably has to completely rebuild

632289[/snapback]

No arguments from me. I think we have decent talent evaluators, but perhaps their priorities are not where they should be IMO (skill players v. trenches, luxury v. need, etc.).

FWIW, I was refering the Buter/Smith department, not the current one.

Billy Brooks?! He was a solid pick-up.

But onto your argument, it's too broad for my tastes. Free agency is essential, IMO. You can't expect to draft or trade for all of your starters. Some of them are going to have to be free agents. The key is to ALWAYS pick guys who fit your system (like the Pats). And OCCASIONALLY overpay, depending on the player (but NOT like Dan $nyder).

No arguments from me.  I think we have decent talent evaluators, but perhaps their priorities are not where they should be IMO (skill players v. trenches, luxury v. need, etc.).

FWIW, I was refering the Buter/Smith department, not the current one.

632295[/snapback]

I agree. TD never really addressed the lines. Mike Williams was a huge bust, but Jennings was a good get in the third round. besides that never really went after O-lineman. Maybe we have the scouts, just the guys making the final decisions made the wrong choices.

I agree. TD never really addressed the lines. Mike Williams was a huge bust, but Jennings was a good get in the third round. besides that never really went after O-lineman. Maybe we have the scouts, just the guys making the final decisions made the wrong choices.

632301[/snapback]

When we're talking about the scouts, don't forget the pro scouts. TD signed a few free agents for the line that also failed to produce.

I would love to see some of the scouting reports the team has produced on a few of our past FAs

When we're talking about the scouts, don't forget the pro scouts.  TD signed a few free agents for the line that also failed to produce.

I would love to see some of the scouting reports the team has produced on a few of our past FAs

632314[/snapback]

Also it will be interesting to see how Marv goes after Lineman. Where TD always looked for huge O- lineman, Marv liked lineman that could move. He liked pulling gaurds like Ritcher and Devlin, cant imagine CV fits that. Besides the RT(Howard Ballard)Even his left tackle Wolford could move a little. I think besides Peters this whole line maybe different.

Also it will be interesting to see how Marv goes after Lineman. Where TD always looked for huge O- lineman, Marv liked lineman that could move. He liked pulling gaurds like Ritcher and Devlin, cant imagine CV fits that. Besides the RT(Howard Ballard)Even his left tackle Wolford could move a little. I think besides Peters this whole line maybe different.

632452[/snapback]

what about sam gash, larry centers, doug flutie?