Next Moves

Losing out on Pickett is a tough blow, he would have stepped in and started and given us more options on draft day. However, from living here in Rams country I can tell you that Pickett has been inconsistent. Last year he finally made strides toward being a dominant player. Make no mistake, I wanted him to be a Bill ... but not at any cost. It would not surprise me to see him get content with his big contract. I am not against signing a stop-gap guy like Grady rather than more "2nd tier" people. Grady is proven and could be effective in a DT rotation.

I really would like to see some action on the OL. I am not a fan of bringing in aged veterans like Fabini or Runyon because I want to start developing a cohesive unit that will not change for several years. I wonder why the Bills are not interested in guys like tackle Tom Ashworth and guard Stephen Neal. Both are young and just starting to enter prime. They have plenty of starts under their belt on a championship team. Everything I have read and heard about these guys has been positive. On top of that they know something about all those NE stunts.

Any thoughts on affordable, realistic help for the OL?

I think right now the way our OLine is and has been we need some instant continuity. I don't foresee us solving this in the draft. While I'm not casting an opinion on your candidates, I will say that if we fill our need(s) on the OLine by signing a few veteran FAs as a stop gap for the next year or two then drafting some good, young prospects (with our some of our 2nd and 3rd rders, possibly a 6th rder on a RFA like KC's Jordan Black) then this would provide us with an even keel of some modest success during this time period. I think that this might be the best approach to keep some fans in the seats. Our best chance of having a cohesive unit for the immediate time and also for the future would be FAs now and then to incorporate our young prospects as we go.

Welcome to TSW Bob. You bring up a lot of goint points, good to see some more St. Louis Bills fans. Your assesment of the Pickett situation is dead on. Got any interest in starting a St. Louis Bills Backers? There are a few of us on here from St. Louis (myself, T.C. in St. Louis, Jukester); it would be cool if we could get a Bills Backers club going in St. Louis, any interest?

Welcome to TSW Bob.  You bring up a lot of goint points, good to see some more St. Louis Bills fans.  Your assesment of the Pickett situation is dead on.  Got any interest in starting a St. Louis Bills Backers?  There are a few of us on here from St. Louis (myself, T.C. in St. Louis, Jukester); it would be cool if we could get a Bills Backers club going in St. Louis, any interest?

631628[/snapback]

Yes! I was part of the Bills Backers in St. Louis back in the 90's. We had almost 100 members with about 50 to 60 actively showing up. We used to watch the games at Ozzie Smith's, and then Damons set us up with a good deal. Once the Super Bowl years ended the gang stopped coming to the games. The Club President moved and just a few of us survived. I have been an army of one, watching the Bills at Hot Shots in St. Charles for the past several years.