Moulds' replacement an H-Back?

I started thinking about the Moulds' situation today. Why haven't we released him yet if he wants his money or he wants out? Maybe we're waiting for the draft. Maybe we're trying to see if we can get a replacment for him and if we can't, we'll pay him.

But this is a pretty poor WR draft. It was then that I realized that this draft's best TE could also be it's best WR. Vernon Davis has been described as a WR trapped in a TE's body and not a great blocker for a TE. But what if we put him at WR? Maybe we could get him to drop some weight (dear god, do you think he could get faster?!) and switch positions.

Then I started thinking, maybe he could be an H-Back. The only true H-Back I could think of in the NFL was Chris Cooley. He played that position and took all the glory while they had a "Starting" TE do all the blocking. That man was Robert Royal, who as we all know is a Buffalo Bill. Perhaps that's why Marv wanted him so badly. Royal knows how to play in such a system.

Perhaps it's all for naught as I see Davis possibly being gone before we pick. But with us seemingly trying to fill most of our line holes in FA, could he be the player we're shooting for? And could we just be sitting on Moulds in case we can't get him?

In my opinion, that's what's going on here.

Then I started thinking, maybe he could be an H-Back. The only true H-Back I could think of in the NFL was Chris Cooley. He played that position and took all the glory while they had a "Starting" TE do all the blocking. That man was Robert Royal, who as we all know is a Buffalo Bill. Perhaps that's why Marv wanted him so badly. Royal knows how to play in such a system.

In my opinion, that's what's going on here.

630758[/snapback]

H-back is a hard position to define. Is is a good FB with fine hands? Is is a TE that has the ability to recognize rushers after the snap?

I'd offer up the former player Keith Byers as the best ever, in that role.

It was then that I realized that this draft's best TE could also be it's best WR. Vernon Davis has been described as a WR trapped in a TE's body and not a great blocker for a TE.

Perhaps it's all for naught as I see Davis possibly being gone before we pick.

630758[/snapback]

If Kevin Everett recovers from his injury, he may be able to fill the H-Back role himself as he's a similar player to Davis.

I started a thread that basically said the same thing a few weeks ago. Davis could be a versatile player with the likes of which we've never seen. Not saying that we should draft him, but he is a very intriguing prospect. Would cause coverage, and gameplanning problems all over the field. No DB could cover someone his size, no linebacker could cover someone with his speed and agility. Not to mention his strength.

i don't feel we would have to define him as a H back. He is a TE, he doesn't block great, however, he works hard at it. and that is all you can really ask, I never asked Mark Campbell to be a deep threat why make Vernon davis a dominate blocker. fewer teams blitz teams with good TEs, because the TE always can be a quick hot read, and if it is CB responsible to stop him, well the CB could get hurt. In Davis' case, he can out run safties and run over CBs. Teams like SD and KC don't have a true #1 WR, they have a #1 TE.