Understanding the Process

Buffalo is trying to build its team by bringing in young hard working players that are cost efficient. They have way to many needs to be "Overpaying" one or 2 guys that may or may not improve our team. Is just adding Bentley going to be enough to make us a playoff caliber team? I like the moves marv is making so far. He's making small moves right now that are not going to break the bank so we can fill more holes rather than just one or two holes

It looks like they are following the way NE has built their team. Bring in guys that are not superstars, but are good fits for their system and bring in quality through the draft.

As for the recent FA Signings

Triplett - was a starter for Indy before they signed Simon. Fills a hole at DT for a decent price and is young.

Davis - Speedy young receiver who has alot of potential (drafted high a couple years ago) and will be a great replacement for Reed as a 3rd or 4th receiver (2nd if Moulds leaves) if he stays heathy. He is fast and a big play receiver that will be another deep threat fitting in with our other receivers. He came cheap and can be a great Bargain pickup if he plays to potential.

Royal - Not the greatest receiving TE, but a great Blocking TE. He may not be a fix for the oline, but will help them out by being an extra blocker. He is young and was not that expensive and an improvement over our last couple TE's. I really think he will be able to help McGahee have a huge year by providing some great blocks. Gibbs was also said to have wanted to bring back Royal and was disapointed Buffalo grabbed him, that sounds pretty good if a coach like Gibbs found him useful.

These aren't "I'm gonna run out and buy Season tickets" kind of moves, but they are moves that can help improve a struggling team. There are many more holes to fill and I can guarantee Marv is not done yet.

630368[/snapback]

So, how in the hell are going win with these guys? BUILD THE LINE FIRST, then add guys like Royal and Davis. Add Pickett first, and then go get someone like Triplett. We could afford 1 or 2 very good lineman now. After that, we could probably still add Royal and Davis. Then work on the draft to start filling other spots.

You add depth to a team that has it's foundation in place. That's why it's called friggin depth. Because players are needed behind good starters. Or players are need to play multiple spots or supplement other players weaknesses.

Take the money we have, and start building the line and keep cutting deadweight. If you are serious about rebuilding, you start at the lines. If we would have signed two young stud like OL'men, we'd still have some cap room. Then if we really need Triplett so bad, start cutting deadweight vets. Anderson. Vincent. Posey. You might take a look at releasing Moulds to pick up more help. I mean, my god. If you are going to rebuild, rebuild the damn thing. There is no use for Moulds or Vincent on a rebuilding. So, you may as well go all out.

Again, we have no friggin logical path to this. It's unbelievable. And it's unreal that fans keep buying into this way of thinking. I'm starting to actually think the Kelly-Era teams were a fluke. Not the teams themselves, but the actual build of them. Well, then again, no, they weren't a fluke. They were put together by Bill Polian, and for reasons, unexplainable to man, he was forced out or canned or whatever.

Mind baffling. And it's mind baffling that people don't want to see a different direction in the way this team is being built. It's like a half rebuild, and a half reload / stay put type thing.

LV-Bills, I will agree that Shaffer would have been an upgrade and he fit the profile that the front office appears to be following. I don't know why they didn't go after him.  None of us know, maybe McNally said that Gandy is better?  Bentley was way to pricey.  Signing him takes dollars away from 2 or 3 other needs, and we have many needs.  Shelton is talented and lazy and unreliable ... we had that, it was called Mike Williams.  I'll pass on him, just like Dennis Green and Crennel did. 

Your right, Royal and Davis are not impact players but they could and should improve the team in their roles.  We need a TE that is a proven blocker, we don't have one and our short yardage offense sucks because of it.  That missing role cost us games last year.  We need depth at WR.  Josh Reed is gone and Parrish showed very little.  Davis has more upside than either of them. 

Triplett is a good signing.  Add Pickett and we are better at DT than last season. 

I do not want to pay big dollars for old offensive lineman like Fabini and Runyon.  There is little in the tank here but maybe we sign one of them if the price is right?  I understand that signing Wells is unlikely, but that doesn't make the interview a bad idea.  He is another player with upsied, that has starting experience ... he is worth 6th rounder with ease. 

The front office is NOT making the same mistakes as 10 years ago.  They are not making the same mistakes as 5 years ago.  The approach is dfferent. The Donahoe "big show" is gone.  Levy will be methodical, deliberate, and will work to a plan.  The Bills will probably not improve enough to make the playoffs, it will take two years to turn this roster into a playoff contender.

630392[/snapback]

I agree with everything you say for the most part until the last paragraph. I also don't agree with your depth thing either. We don't need depth until we fill needs. Depth is needed at wideout, yes. BUT, an offensive line is needed period. Almost every spot on our O-Line could be replaced. Hell, then the new line will need some depth itself.

No one wants to pay big bucks for old O-line players. That's why some of us were screaming about not getting the young upside lineman in the beginning.

I mean come on. I'm gonna address Royal in another new post.

Again, we have no friggin logical path to this.  It's unbelievable.  And it's unreal that fans keep buying into this way of thinking.  I'm starting to actually think the Kelly-Era teams were a fluke.  Not the teams themselves, but the actual build of them.  Well, then again, no, they weren't a fluke.  They were put together by Bill Polian, and for reasons, unexplainable to man, he was forced out or canned or whatever.

Mind baffling.  And it's mind baffling that people don't want to see a different direction in the way this team is being built.  It's like a half rebuild, and a half reload / stay put type thing.

630393[/snapback]

The Bills are not in a full Rebuild mode (not saying they shouldn't be, just that they aren't) because the can't go into a full rebuild mode. How many fans are going to be willing to sit through another 5 years of rebuilding to get a good team? And if they were rebuilding, they probably would not be going after those big name FA's like you say we should be going after.

Its more unbelievable that peopl keep saying Polian is such a football god and the greatest GM. The guy has never put together a team that has one the Super Bowl and since leaving Buffalo, has not been able to put together a team that can get to the big game.

The team is being built in a different direction. With TD we would have signed one or two of the big name FA's out their and not addressed any more of the bills problems. Marv is starting to fill the MANY holes with decent players that are as good or a small improvement over the guys they are replacing, for less money.