You're right, it's the media!

TPS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bungling Bush Presidency

He's done such an excellent job; how could the media do this to him?  :doh:  :)

617401[/snapback]

From the article:

But it should come as no surprise that President George W. Bush has fallen to an approval rating of 34 percent in a recent national poll.

Alright, so the guy starts his editorial by citing an outlier poll that clearly oversampled Democrats. Most other polls show him in the 40-43% range.

A just-released tape shows Bush was warned before Hurricane Katrina that New Orleans' levees could be breached and the city devastated. The president, as we all remember, said he was taken by surprise.
No, the main concern during the tapes was if the levees would be "topped." As we know now, the levees were not topped, they simply fell apart when Katrina hit NO even after it had weakened significantly.

I stopped reading after that because it's clear this guy is willing to omit/distort information to get his point across. Nice to know I can learn more from the politics section of a football message board than from some guy paid by Newsday.

From the article:

Alright, so the guy starts his editorial by citing an outlier poll that clearly oversampled Democrats.  Most other polls show him in the 40-43% range.

No, the main concern during the tapes was if the levees would be "topped." As we know now, the levees were not topped, they simply fell apart when Katrina hit NO even after it had weakened significantly.

I stopped reading after that because it's clear this guy is willing to omit/distort information to get his point across.  Nice to know I can learn more from the politics section of a football message board than from some guy paid by Newsday.

617411[/snapback]

You need to get your facts straight, the levees were topped and they gave way, check out new reports from the Times Picayune.

It is one thing to be an administration opologist it is another thing to spout the FOX/Drudge Report Party line without backing up your facts.

Have you been to NO area since the Hurricane, yes a lot of work is being done, but there is so much to do and so many folks that have yet to receive any assistance, I still think the feds are underestimating the toll.

Heck, I saw more Habitat for Humanity folks and United Methodist volunteers than FEMA folks. Also a lot of insurance folks quietly discussing how they were going to get out of paying.

You should go there and volunteer before making any more statements about the situation down there.

The President's lack of leadership in my opinion has been pathetic. Not sure about Brown, but it sounds like what was originally projected that Chernoff was the slacker and that Brown gave up on the job. Both inexusable, but Brown's reaction is now a little more understandable, having worked for and against a beaucracy when petty power plays are more important than action.

If I want to know the President's position, I read the Press Release.

You need to get your facts straight, the levees were topped and they gave way, check out new reports from the Times Picayune.

It is one thing to be an administration opologist it is another thing to spout the FOX/Drudge Report Party line without backing up your facts.

Have you been to NO area since the Hurricane, yes a lot of work is being done, but there is so much to do and so many folks that have yet to receive any assistance, I still think the feds are underestimating the toll. 

Heck, I saw more Habitat for Humanity folks and United Methodist volunteers than FEMA folks.  Also a lot of insurance folks quietly discussing how they were going to get out of paying. 

You should go there and volunteer before making any more statements about the situation down there.

The President's lack of leadership in my opinion has been pathetic.  Not sure about Brown, but it sounds like what was originally projected that Chernoff was the slacker and that Brown gave up on the job.  Both inexusable, but Brown's reaction is now a little more understandable, having worked for and against a beaucracy when petty power plays are more important than action.

If I want to know the President's position, I read the Press Release.

617437[/snapback]

All gigantic surprises at the end of the day. Charitable organizations who accomplish more than bloated bureaucracies? People in charge who can't comprehend basic information? Partisans apologizing for the sins of their chosen deities while hypocrites on the opposite side point angry fingers?

It's hilarious that people act like this administration is somehow different, regardless of political affiliation.

Don't worry though, the Democrats will fix it all once they're back in charge. :)

Oh, and I doubt anyone who's ever had involvement with the government needs to head to New Orleans to know the bureaucrats are talking a better game than they're playing. Don't worry though, we'll just throw another half a trillion of taxpayer money at a city on the water that's below sea level. Because we're really smart and that'll keep Mother Nature out next time.

All gigantic surprises at the end of the day.  Charitable organizations who accomplish more than bloated bureaucracies?  People in charge who can't comprehend basic information?  Partisans apologizing for the sins of their chosen deities while hypocrites on the opposite side point angry fingers?

It's hilarious that people act like this administration is somehow different, regardless of political affiliation.

Don't worry though, the Democrats will fix it all once they're back in charge.  :)

Oh, and I doubt anyone who's ever had involvement with the government needs to head to New Orleans to know the bureaucrats are talking a better game than they're playing.  Don't worry though, we'll just throw another half a trillion of taxpayer money at a city on the water that's below sea level.  Because we're really smart and that'll keep Mother Nature out next time.

617445[/snapback]

Finally a someone on the right that I can agree with. Occasionally bureaucracies serve the public well and in specific instances, even some the Departments momentarily do a good job on something specific. Only problem is that it there are few and far between instances including as is it also applies to throwing money at Iraq, same anology applies to our armed forces, yet we tolerate incredible waste and incompetence there as well.

Just when it is a failure, I wish someone up top would admit it and make changes. Usually, though it is a question of priorities, and we know where Bush's priorities are and it ain't NO. We heard he was pissed afterwards, but still he hasn't used his bully pullpit to follow up on it. I think that his biggest failings is recognizing incompetence in his own admin and dealing with it effectively.

Bungling Bush Presidency

He's done such an excellent job; how could the media do this to him?  :doh:  :)

617401[/snapback]

Sure the media biased. But they are also stupid. If someone in the press were smart, they would be pointing out the fact that not only did Bush not address the levee situation, or the fact that NO is sinking an inch every three years (THAT'S TWO INCHES ON HIS WATCH). But no one is mentioning that the ocean is also rising at this time, because of global warming. Global warming is especially Bush's fault even because of he's an evil oil man and stuff. :P

All gigantic surprises at the end of the day.  Charitable organizations who accomplish more than bloated bureaucracies?  People in charge who can't comprehend basic information?  Partisans apologizing for the sins of their chosen deities while hypocrites on the opposite side point angry fingers?

Don't worry though, the Democrats will fix it all once they're back in charge.  :)

Oh, and I doubt anyone who's ever had involvement with the government needs to head to New Orleans to know the bureaucrats are talking a better game than they're playing.  Don't worry though, we'll just throw another half a trillion of taxpayer money at a city on the water that's below sea level.  Because we're really smart and that'll keep Mother Nature out next time.

617445[/snapback]

the only point I disagree with: this administration is different.

Sure the media biased.  But they are also stupid.  If someone in the press were smart, they would be pointing out the fact that not only did Bush not address the levee situation, or the fact that NO is sinking an inch every three years (THAT'S TWO INCHES ON HIS WATCH).  But no one is mentioning that the ocean is also rising at this time, because of global warming.  Global warming is especially Bush's fault even because of he's an evil oil man and stuff. :)

617470[/snapback]

Ha, Ha, even I won't go that far, but I don't think the Press is stupid, just lazy and when they get burned, they retaliate, hence why they did the same with Clinton Admin lies. Oh sure there are partisans, but when everyone gets on the Band Wagon, even to an extent FOX and MSNBC where Roger Ailes and Chris Matthews are, it is getting bad.

the only point I disagree with: this administration is different.

617476[/snapback]

They're really not. They're simply continuing the evolution of seperating the Lords from the serfs. The sad part is they derive this power because the serfs have the wrong priorities.

I don't know that I'd put myself on the right.  I'm pretty solidly independent.  I agree with the liberals that many things are wrong, I simply don't think government is ever going to fix it but will instead make it worse.

Ah, so you and Ken are of similar stripes, understand. I believe more that government does well with direct income transfers to achieve a goal and should in emergencies respond better if directed to do so, long term beaucracies I agree don't work well.

617437[/snapback]

As long as we're talking about facts, the Bush videos and articles talk about the briefing BEFORE the hurricane, and that's SnR point about the warnings of levees potentially being topped not breached. The topping of the levees would cause no where near the damage.

Of course, little mention is made of another video AFTER the hurricane where Blanco says to remain calm, that all is well, and the levees aren't breached.

As long as we're talking about facts, the Bush videos and articles talk about the briefing BEFORE the hurricane, and that's SnR point about the warnings of levees potentially being topped not breached.  The topping of the levees would cause no where near the damage.

Of course, little mention is made of another video AFTER the hurricane where Blanco says to remain calm, that all is well, and the levees aren't breached.

617534[/snapback]

Yes, that was my point, but it's clear it doesn't matter what I write as the response is always "Bush is pathetic, and furthermore Bush is pathetic."

All the while I'm wondering if anyone will ever discover these mythical posts of mine where I praise the Bush administration.

Breached or Topped?

The company's problems illustrate one of the basic obstacles to building reliable levees -- or any heavy structure -- in south Louisiana: It's a swamp.

Questions about soil are at the heart of investigations into why some of New Orleans' levees breached during Hurricane Katrina. Investigators say poor foundation conditions almost certainly led to the breaching of floodwalls along the 17th Street and London Avenue canals in New Orleans, flooding large parts of the city. The walls broke without being topped, suggesting a design or construction flaw. Data show layers of soft soils and organic matter under the wall foundations in breached areas that were not able to withstand the underground pressures generated by high waters in the canal, engineers say.

The crisis didn't begin until the levees were breached. The concern before the storm was if they levees would be topped and, as GG pointed out, that's not as bad.