Basic Foreign Policy Philosophy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not the controlling hand in future events (proactive) then you can only react to the anticipation of future events

614428[/snapback]

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

How does one react to an act that hasn't happened?

If I anticipate someone coming to visit me I might react by turning the front porch light on.

614459[/snapback]

If you anticipate someone coming to visit you, turning the light on would be an act of anticipation. You are not reacting to anything, you are acting. You are being proactive, not reactive.

But gee, this is fun.

If you anticipate someone coming to visit you, turning the light on would be an act of anticipation. You are not reacting to anything, you are acting. You are being proactive, not reactive.

But gee, this is fun.

614471[/snapback]

No, I am reacting to my anticipation that someone is coming over by turning the light on. If I were truly proactive I would be driving over to pick that someone up hence, controlling the time and fashion of their arrival.

No, I am reacting to my anticipation that someone is coming over by turning the light on.  If I were truly proactive I would be driving over to pick that someone up hence, controlling the time and fashion of their arrival.

614485[/snapback]

But how would you know to drive over to get them? Perhaps reacting to their phone call or text message that they wanted to visit you?

No, I am reacting to my anticipation that someone is coming over by turning the light on.  If I were truly proactive I would be driving over to pick that someone up hence, controlling the time and fashion of their arrival.

614485[/snapback]

But if you drove over to pick that someone up, it would be reactive too. You'd be reacting to their desire to visit you.

Of course, their desire to visit you might be in response to your invitation, in which case they're being reactive as well.

And your invitation might be because they treated you to dinner last month...so you're being reactive again.

Gee...is anything proactive? :D

614485[/snapback]

Squegee your third eye. Align your chakras. Get comfortable. And absorb this small fact:

One does not react to anticipation, one acts in anticipation.

Anticipate means to expect and prepare for something; it is the very definition of being proactive.

React and Anticipate are ANTONYMS. :D

Expect does not include the notion of preparation.

If you expect a guest, you anticipate it by turning on your porch light.

Squegee your third eye. Align your chakras. Get comfortable. And absorb this small fact:

Anticipate means to expect and prepare for something; it  is the very definition of being proactive.

React and Anticipate are ANTONYMS.  ;)

614498[/snapback]

For example:

Newbie, your response to the above is wrong.

I don't even know what your response is yet, but based on the fact that you're an idiot, I can anticipate it being wrong, and thus proactively tell you you're wrong. But what I haven't done is reacted to your oncoming stupid-ass post, because you haven't made it yet.

Got it? Or do I need to explain it with some (*^*&%^$^#clown and beach ball analogy? :D

614485[/snapback]

Wow. Are you using an Army entrenchment tool, a Marine entrenchment tool, or a plain old fashioned civilian shovel?

Anticipate means to expect and prepare for something; it  is the very definition of being proactive.

React and Anticipate are ANTONYMS.  :D

614498[/snapback]

Anticipation in itself is not an action word it defines a state of mind. One can act in anticipation but the action remains undefined as to whether that action is proactive or reactive.

Example: If I am anticipating a punch from you I can either act with “proactive interference” by punching you first or I can wait for your punch and react to it by blocking it then punch.

Now I am sure you can define proactive out of existence so the word needs a modifier like “proactive inhibition” or "proactive interference”. I would guess the only truly proactive action would be instinctual, primal, or pre-programmed one.

This is getting away from the point. My original assertion was that foreign policy is inherently reactive.

Anticipation in itself is not an action word it defines a state of mind.  One can act in anticipation but the action remains undefined as to whether that action is proactive or reactive.

Now I am sure you can define proactive out of existence so the word needs a modifier like “proactive inhibition” or "proactive interference”.  I would guess the only truly proactive action would be instinctual, primal, or pre-programmed one.

This is getting away from the point.  My original assertion was that foreign policy is inherently reactive.

614745[/snapback]

Okay, I'll be the pupil ready to learn Newbian, the Language of Newbie. Pray tell, how should I explain to friends, students, and disciples that our foreign policy is inherently reactive because it is impossible to prepare?

(regardless, for one to react to one's own anticipation is the grammatical equivilent of a sturdy crap after a night of Guinness and curry, and should earn you a C- in English and the wrath of any good editor).

Anticipation in itself is not an action word it defines a state of mind.  One can act in anticipation but the action remains undefined as to whether that action is proactive or reactive.

Example:  If I am anticipating a punch from you I can either act with “proactive interference” by punching you first or I can wait for your punch and react to it by blocking it then punch.

Now I am sure you can define proactive out of existence so the word needs a modifier like “proactive inhibition” or "proactive interference”.  I would guess the only truly proactive action would be instinctual, primal, or pre-programmed one.

What the !@#$? :D And you accused me of double-talk?

This is getting away from the point.  My original assertion was that foreign policy is inherently reactive.

614745[/snapback]

It's directly on point, since you clearly don't know the meanings of the words "proactive" and "reactive". We have to give you a basic education in English vocabulary before we can even think about discussing foreign policy with you.

What the !@#$?  :D  And you accused me of double-talk? 

It's directly on point, since you clearly don't know the meanings of the words "proactive" and "reactive".  We have to give you a basic education in English vocabulary before we can even think about discussing foreign policy with you.

614792[/snapback]

I know what it means I just don’t believe there is anything that is truly proactive in foreign policy or for that matter anything else.

And oh-by-the-way...did you really just say that the only truly proactive action would be an instinctive reaction:D  :P

614845[/snapback]

Collectively probably not, on an individual level maybe. Do salmon as individuals swim up Stream to lay eggs as a reaction to something or are the salmon carrying out a hard wired pre-programmed action based on a collective knowledge worked out by millions of them for maybe thousands of years before.

Tom, if you want to have a civil discussion, I will continue, if not F-off.