Top 10 FAs per Prisco

sfladave

Obviously this list was made before players were franchised.

It is interesting that the most talked about FAs on this board are number 1 and 2. Damn I was hoping we were the only ones who knew about these guys! :D

Top 10 free agents: Backs and old guys need not apply

Feb. 9, 2006

By Pete Prisco

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Judge: Position-by-position

This is the top 10. Just remember: No backs and no players older than 28.

1. Steve Hutchinson, G, Seahawks: He is far and away the best at his position in the league. He is a mauler who teams with tackle Walter Jones to make up the best side of any line in the league. Hutchinson is 28 and will turn 29 in November, but that's young for an interior lineman. Seattle will likely place the franchise tag on him, but if he were to come free, he would be a target for a lot of teams. Normally, I don't condone paying a lot of money to guards, but this is a special player.

2. LeCharles Bentley, C/G, Saints: Bentley is 26 and will not turn 27 until December. He's in the prime of his career. Bentley played guard his first two seasons in the league and center the past two. Some say he's a better guard, but he wants to play center. Wherever he plays, he brings a tough-guy attitude to the job. He doesn't back down to anyone. Just ask Warren Sapp, a player he whipped several times when they were in the same division. The Saints aren't expected to put the franchise tag on him and Bentley wants out of New Orleans, so look for him to hit the market.

3. John Abraham, DE, Jets: Abraham will be 28 in May, so he's in that target age. Abraham had 10½ sacks last year and 53½ in the past six seasons. He is a speed rusher, and those guys are hard to find. He does come with some off-field issues, but he's not that bad a guy. With teams desperate for pass rushers, he will sign early if he hits the market. The Jets would like to keep him, but they have cap issues that might make that tough to do.

4. Drew Brees, QB, Chargers: He just turned 27, so he has a lot of good football in front of him. It's highly unlikely that he is on this list when the period starts because he'll either get tagged or signed. He is coming off shoulder surgery, which has to be a concern to the Chargers. But it also might help drive down his price. He'll be back in San Diego, but for now he finds a spot on this list.

5. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts: The Colts have indicated they will make Wayne a priority rather than James. That makes sense, too. The Colts are a pass-oriented team and Wayne has emerged as a big-time talent opposite Marvin Harrison. He has 160 catches the past two seasons. It's tough to let that leave. At 28, he fits the age requirements.

6. Julian Peterson, OLB, 49ers: Coming off a torn Achilles' tendon in 2004, Peterson didn't play as well in 2005 as he has in the past. But he's still a talented player who can be disruptive in the pass game and playing the run. He turns 28 in July, so he has his best football in front of him.

7. Nate Clements, CB, Bills: With a lot of teams in need of corner help, Clements is the best of the class. He is a tough guy who can cover and is a good tackler. He is 26 and won't turn 27 until December. He is what a lot of teams want in their corners. If the Bills don't franchise him, he will be gone early in free agency.

8. Chris Hope, S, Steelers: He had more tackles and more interceptions than Troy Polamalu, but he doesn’t get the due his teammate gets. But Hope is a player. He is rangy and he will hit you. The Steelers will do everything they can to keep him, but he might hit the market. If he does, he is a guy a lot of teams should look at closely. This is a heck of a player. Plus, he's only 25.

9. Rocky Bernard, DT, Seahawks: He came on strong last season, which is a sign he's an ascending player. Bernard is more quick than powerful, which helped him get 8½ sacks. He is much like Rod Coleman, who Atlanta signed away from Oakland. Defensive tackles who can get to the quarterback are tough to find. That's why the 26-year-old Bernard finds his way onto the list.

10. Will Witherspoon, LB, Panthers: For teams looking for a run-and-chase linebacker, Witherspoon is the guy. He isn't big, but he has the speed and athletic ability. He's 25 and will turn 26 in August. He didn't play as well in 2005 as he did in 2004, but with more teams looking for speed on defense, he will get some action.

Prisco is an idiot. 

609771[/snapback]

I certainly agree with you on that.

NC is poor in man coverage, can't defend the big pass play,

Even with his step back last year I would put Nate in the top 10 in the NFL for pass coverage, including big pass plays. Do you watch any other teams play?

is past his prime,

Here is your dumbest comment. Past his prime? He's 26 years old! Dumbass comment of the year if you ask me!

sucked in the Miami game

In the Miami game Nate did get torched a couple of times by Chambers, but he was not the only one.

thinks too much of himself

I don't want players on my team who don't have an overabundance of confidence. If you are in the NFL you better think too much of yourself.

I certainly agree with you on that.

Even with his step back last year I would put Nate in the top 10 in the NFL for pass coverage, including big pass plays. Do you watch any other teams play?

Here is your dumbest comment. Past his prime? He's 26 years old! Dumbass comment of the year if you ask me!

In the Miami game Nate did get torched a couple of times by Chambers, but he was not the only one.

I don't want players on my team who don't have an overabundance of confidence. If you are in the NFL you better think too much of yourself.

609821[/snapback]

Did you miss my sarcasm emoticon ? :devil: