Free Agency

BobbyC81

If the CBA remains the same as it is now, there would be no cap for 2007. So, I interpret that to mean that teams could then sign players to contracts with small salaries this year but big money for 2007 (The NBA limits by percentage how much of a raise a player can get but I don't know if the NFL does).

However, this is because it's the last year of the CBA agreement. I remember this being how it was going to be for the prior CBA but they signed an extension or something before the last year so the cap-free year never materialized.

So, backloading of a contract could actually come back to hurt a team then if a new CBA was signed and the cap-free year eliminated.

From what I've read, the NFL Management doesn't want to end up with a Cap-free year because then the NFLPA will try to eliminate the cap.

I think all parties involved (except for maybe the Jerry Jones' and Dan Snyders of the world) realize that the NFL system, while maybe needing to be tweaked, muct remain unchanged for the NFL to continue being the dominant spectator and television sport that it is today. I do not think that Tagliabue or Upshaw (Players Union President) want their legacy to be known as the ones that destroyed the NFL. Both sides will come to the table and reach an agreement before 2007. There is too much money (especially from the networks) riding on it.

I think all parties involved (except for maybe the Jerry Jones' and Dan Snyders of the world) realize that the NFL system, while maybe needing to be tweaked, muct remain unchanged for the NFL to continue being the dominant spectator and television sport that it is today. I do not think that Tagliabue or Upshaw (Players Union President) want their legacy to be known as the ones that destroyed the NFL. Both sides will come to the table and reach an agreement before 2007. There is too much money (especially from the networks) riding on it.

608007[/snapback]

In theory I agree with you...but just like baseball owners...hockey owners...any owners for that matters...a lot of them are greedy with a captial G...and will want NO part of revenue sharing if they can avoid it as an example.

I hear you that the NFL will probably come to an agreement by 2007. But a lot of NFL fans are so quick to dismiss the possibility of a work stoppage because they think the NFL is above the other sports when it comes to greed, unions etc. Believe me, they arent.

Are we forgetting the NFL has been on strike twice before? I think most fans are in denial already

I don't think its that they are above the other leagues, I just think they may have learned from what happened to the NHL and the beating it took with their work stoppage and baseball too. They will probably hurry up to come up with an agreement like the NBA did so they don't have the same thing happen like the NHL

In theory I agree with you...but just like baseball owners...hockey owners...any owners for that matters...a lot of them are greedy with a captial G...and will want NO part of revenue sharing if they can avoid it as an example.

I hear you that the NFL will probably come to an agreement by 2007.  But a lot of NFL fans are so quick to dismiss the possibility of a work stoppage because they think the NFL is above the other sports when it comes to greed, unions etc. Believe me, they arent.

Are we forgetting the NFL has been on strike twice before?  I think most fans are in denial already

608013[/snapback]

You are dead on when it comes to revenue sharing. Guys like Jones and Snyder don't realize how goood that they have it. Greed is certainly at the hearts of most of these owners souls and at the end of the day is what drives them.

I also agree that the possibility of a work stoppage is very real. The one thing that may prevent that is recent history. The work stoppage in baseball was very damaging and it took two juicers chasing after the HR record to bring it back. The NBA still hasn't recovered from the 98-99 lockout. The NHL was a total mess and the long term effects are yet to be seen. Hopefully all parties do not want to make the same mistakes of the other major sports leagues and get a deal done.