Spring Skiing Colorado

plenzmd1

Allright, so my wife has tentatively booked a spring ski trip to Beaver Creek/Vail for the first week in April. Actually very cheap, $800 dollars for five nights at the Park Hyatt slopeside including breakfast and all lift tickets. Using miles for air and rental car, so all in all pretty cheap.

I of course am weary of getting out there and skiing in slush. Not being an active skier, once to twice a year at most, that slush chit gunna kill me. Any body experience that area around that time of year? Is it worth it?

Thx in advance for any tips

I used to ski Jackson Hole every year, and usually in the Spring. April seems later than I remember, but definately in late March.

I found that if the hill is high enough, it is still quite cold at the top 1/3 of the mountain. Also skiing in the morning helps. Get off the slush by 2pm.

The first year I went to Jackson, I made the mistake of going to the top of Rendezvous Mt (highest point) first thing in the morning. The snow and ice up there was bullet proof, and it was way to cold. Was great later in the morning.

Never been to Vail, so don't know much about the spring conditions there. But hope this helps.

Allright, so my wife has tentatively booked a spring ski trip to Beaver Creek/Vail for the first week in April. Actually very cheap, $800 dollars for five nights at the Park Hyatt slopeside including breakfast and all lift tickets. Using miles for air and rental car, so all in all pretty cheap.

I of course am weary of getting out there and skiing in slush. Not being an active skier, once to twice a year at most, that slush chit gunna kill me. Any body experience that area around that time of year? Is it worth it?

Thx in advance for any tips

607678[/snapback]

If your going early April, you'll be right up against their closing date.

Colorado has been kind to me for late spring season. They still get dumped on through May, however most of the resorts lease National Forest land and are required to shut down on a certain date. Additionally, most people don't realize March is their best snow month and start to turn towards warmer weather activites by that time, so it doesn't make economic sense to stay open longer.

Two years ago, we snowboarded out there in 70 degree weather in early April... resort had a decent base and we had a blast. So, chances are conditions will be fine and crowds will be minimal. If you're up against closing weekend you may find that some restaraunts may be closed or have a minimal menu.

Depending on your party's skill level...Vail for the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin...Beaver Creek for tree skiing and lasting snow conditions (less crowded). For the cruisers in your group, both do a great job grooming.

Apres-ski in Vail. Katlenberg Kastle in Lionshead Village($4 litres of Dunkel!!!...well 4 years ago) Lionshead is being renovated, so it may be closed. In Beaver Creek, the Coyote Cafe.

I used to ski Jackson Hole every year, and usually in the Spring.  April seems later than I remember, but definately in late March.

I found that if the hill is high enough, it is still quite cold at the top 1/3 of the mountain.  Also skiing in the morning helps.  Get off the slush by 2pm.

The first year I went to Jackson, I made the mistake of going to the top of Rendezvous Mt (highest point) first thing in the morning.  The snow and ice up there was bullet proof, and it was way to cold.  Was great later in the morning.

Never been to Vail, so don't know much about the spring conditions there.  But hope this helps.

607727[/snapback]

Great point. Jackson Hole's one fault is it's southern exposure (and oh yeah...it's temperature inversions). As the days get longer, Jackson endures some extreme freeze/thaw cycles and it's snow conditions are all over the map. Most your Colorado resorts are East/West exposures so jsust move with the sun. Plus I think Vail has a good amount of northern exposure terrain on the backside. Additionally if conditions are bad, look at Keystone or A-Basin. They get the least amount of snow of the Summit County resorts, but have ideal mountian faces for retaining a quality snowpack.

I have a vacation home in Vail. You wanna rent it?

607901[/snapback]

Give me a PM, we can talk, although I do want to have ski in/ ski out capabilities

While in Vail, stop by Montaneros and say "HI" to Keith (the GM of the property). In addition to being the best man at my wedding, he's a Bills fan from Williamsville.

Thats a roger on that!!!!

Make your way to Arrowhead at lunch one day. Might be the best hotdogs grilled outside this side of Ted's.

Awesome, will do.

Thx for the replies fellas. Its appreciated