Russia Sells Su-25 Warplanes to Iran

If you're upset about the su-25 then you really wont like the Tor M1 9m330 air defense system that the Iranians are getting.  It sounds a lot like the a Patriot system- but mobile.

608614[/snapback]

NATO designation SA-10 Grumble, I think. The SAM from Hell. And if it's not the Grumble, then it's newer. :lol:

And there's little to worry about in that, I think. These days, most weapons systems like that don't do as well on their own as they do as part of an entire system. A single SA-10 launcher, or even a group, is theoretically pretty easy to defeat. Combine it with other systems (light and heavy guns, differently capable SAMs, search radars operating in different bands), it becomes much nastier.

I don't know if the Iranians have such an integrated system. If the don't, they're probably working towards building one, given they're buying Russian equipment and the Soviets have designed that sort of air defense system many times over for many different client states.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NATO designation SA-10 Grumble, I think.  The SAM from Hell.  And if it's not the Grumble, then it's newer.   :lol:

And there's little to worry about in that, I think.  These days, most weapons systems like that don't do as well on their own as they do as part of an entire system.  A single SA-10 launcher, or even a group, is theoretically pretty easy to defeat.  Combine it with other systems (light and heavy guns, differently capable SAMs, search radars operating in different bands), it becomes much nastier. 

I don't know if the Iranians have such an integrated system.  If the don't, they're probably working towards building one, given they're buying Russian equipment and the Soviets have designed that sort of air defense system many times over for many different client states.

608626[/snapback]

They do not have an integrated AD C2 capability. It's locally controlled around areas of higher concern. Very limited on low altitude search as well, so I expect that will be a future buy.

here she is in all her glory

http://www.defense-update.com/products/t/tor.htm

608637[/snapback]

Sorry...it's the Gauntlet, not the Grumble. My bad.

Still a bad-ass missile. Still better integrated into an air defense system, particularly with 20k foot altitude, 700km/hr target speed, and 25 mile surveillence range limits (yes, I know the publicly admitted range of the search radar is 25 kilometers...I don't know what the range is, but it's pretty damned obviously longer that 25km, so I'm giving the Russian weapons designers the benefit of the doubt). I can think of a few ways of defeating that system on its own...and I'm hardly an expert at modern air defense suppression, so I can only imagine what the experts have come up with.

OK Osama.

Screw the Iranians.  They are a bunch of wacko's that will be next after Iraq.  I figure there is a plan on the table that we are going to see sooner than later to take out their nuclear ambitions.  I wonder how many french and german products we will find in these nuclear sites when we go?  No doubt the russians are helping them too.

608510[/snapback]

how "un-conservative" you are to go against conservative news analyst and former reagan staffer pat buchanan like that:

http://www.amconmag.com/03_24_03/cover.html

I dont like communicating with people that protest everyday, burn flags, kill people, burn businesses, kidnap people and lop off their heads just because they dont agree with me.

I prefer to nuke the entire country of people like that. I consider it evolution, let the more civilized people succeed. Who needs these crazy nuts.

608222[/snapback]

I see. So because some people in these countries commit these acts you consider that justification for slaughtering every man, woman and child in the country. Congratulations, you have the exact mindset of a terrorist.

Great, we now have another genocidal imbecile to take the place of dear old Boomer :w00t:

I see. So because some people in these countries commit these acts you consider that justification for slaughtering every man, women and child in the country. Congratulations, you have the exact mindset of a terrorist.

Great, we now have another genocidal imbecile to take the place of dear old Boomer  :w00t:

609086[/snapback]

You are a bad man, go away, bad man.

Hang out with Olivier, all French are bad too.

Damn, how stupid are we looking in the British Press? I haven't looked. From a resident perspectve.

You are a bad man, go away, bad man.

Hang out with Olivier, all French are bad too.

Damn, how stupid are we looking in the British Press? I haven't looked. From a resident perspectve.

609091[/snapback]

How stupid? In connection with what?

I thought since P&O was a British company, there might be some take on the xenophobic American reaction to it's sale to Dubai Ports World.

609258[/snapback]

To be honest, I haven't really been paying too much attention to that. What was the American reaction?

I see. So because some people in these countries commit these acts you consider that justification for slaughtering every man, woman and child in the country. Congratulations, you have the exact mindset of a terrorist.

Great, we now have another genocidal imbecile to take the place of dear old Boomer  :D

609086[/snapback]

Despite the somewhat...loose rhetoric, he does have a valid point. Arab and Muslim societies in general suffer from a disease of ignorance that breeds stupid behavior and even worse suicidal fervor.

To be honest, I haven't really been paying too much attention to that. What was the American reaction?

609282[/snapback]

We're all going to die horribly because a UAE owned company is going to subcontract some terminal operations at 6 US ports instead of a British company.

All this before anyone checked any facts, much less took any look at the UAE. If there is one westernized society, not to mention city in the middle east, it's UAE and Dubai.

Despite the somewhat...loose rhetoric, he does have a valid point. Arab and Muslim societies in general suffer from a disease of ignorance that breeds stupid behavior and even worse suicidal fervor.

609291[/snapback]

Doesn't justify advocacy of genocide though.

We're all going to die horribly because a UAE owned company is going to subcontract some terminal operations at 6 US ports instead of a British company.

All this before anyone checked any facts, much less took any look at the UAE. If there is one westernized society, not to mention city in the middle east, it's UAE and Dubai.

609303[/snapback]

Dammit, you should know by now that those filthy savages are all the same. Every last one of them would slit your throat as soon as look at you :D

Dammit, you should know by now that those filthy savages are all the same. Every last one of them would slit your throat as soon as look at you  :D

609470[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind living in Dubai, if I could afford it. It's not Hong Kong, but it's wrapped pretty tight.

I wouldn't mind living in Dubai, if I could afford it. It's not Hong Kong, but it's wrapped pretty tight.

609475[/snapback]

Friends I have known that have ex-patted in dubai have loved it and would have stayed if their wives hadn't hated it so much.