What are the general opinions on a flat tax?

OnTheRocks

That is one of the things that REALLY pisses me off.  They're trying to raise the bed tax in Anchorage yet again to fund a CITY owned convention center.  If there were money to be made from such an endeavor, a DEVELOPMENT company would already be building it at THEIR expense.

People like to pretend that taxes on non-residents don't affect them.  Guess they don't travel very often.

44541[/snapback]

Who TF would ever consider having a convention in Anchorage anyway? (Anchorage? Vegas? uh...let me think...) Seal clubbers of America? 50 each 90 year old Russian guys screaming "Steward's Folly"?

They can't build igloos that high anyway, too much loading. And you have to carry a gun to keep the bears off.

And, BTW, check your PM. I have an inquery.

Oh, now only the top 2% pay taxes on dividends?  I guess the IRS owes me some money.

45370[/snapback]

Two things:

Note that I said "almost all of the benefits..."

Second, if you are currently paying taxes on dividends, then you need a new financial planner. <_<

If so, how is it that congress was able to pass a tax change that cut taxes on dividends and eliminated the estate tax, when almost all of the benefits of these accrue to the top 2% of households?

45366[/snapback]

Ok, so they PLAN to eliminate the estate tax. Until 2010 it will still be there, with annual increases in the exclusion. In 2011 they will vote whether to reinstate it, which is my guess they probably will. However if they don't they will eliminate the step up in basis on inherited properties, which in some cases can be worse than the estate tax, especially with the huge increase in property values here in California.