Question: Why has the TE/HB & FB position been

Tipster19

When you think about the FB position we have a what a 34 yr. old manning this position? Burns backs him up but you never even hear about him anymore, so good could he possibly be? Maybe a FB isn't that big of a deal but all the more you think that the TE/HB position would be all that much more important. Granted, TD & CO. did draft Everett but isn't that a little too late for a position that we never really addressed or made a priority for? I do question this now that I look back. For the last few years we drafted all kinds of WRs that are still on the team. From Reed to Aikens to Evans to Roscoe. We were slated to be a power running team and Everett is really is just a pass catcher. I don't know, you see some of these teams that have HBs who do block AND catch. What a novel idea. I wonder, if Peters really did improve his blocking then why not just make him an HB and then go draft or sign a FA who truly is O-lineman. If I remember correctly, coming out of college Peters had deceptive speed for a big man. Even if it isn't Peters I wonder why these positions have been forgotten or were treated like an afterthought. It was like we were only concerned with paying attention to only the majority of our offense and not all of it. Weird.

We have had a sub par OL for years now. We have been forced to keep our TE in to help with blocking. That is why it seems like our TEs have been sub par for the last few years. Our current crop of TEs, while they might not be consistent pro bowlers would have and will look much better with an upgraded OL.

I saw quite a bit of Everett in college and the kid has what it takes to be a very good TE in the NFL. Everett also never had major issues with blocking in college. I think that Everett and Euhus will do just fine if we do upgrade the line.

We have had a sub par OL for years now. We have been forced to keep our TE in to help with blocking. That is why it seems like our TEs have been sub par for the last few years. Our current crop of TEs, while they might not be consistent pro bowlers would have and will look much better with an upgraded OL.

602520[/snapback]

This has also led to problems in the red zone (IMO). They keep the TE in to block and rarely send him out as a potential target. Thus, the offense becomes more predictable and easier to defend in the red zone, not to mention overall.

Having a good pass-catching TE isn't the biggest key to an offense, but when you have one as an option, it make the offense a little less predictable. Oh, how I long for the days of Pete Metzelaars and Jay Riemersma....

I saw quite a bit of Everett in college and the kid has what it takes to be a very good TE in the NFL. Everett also never had major issues with blocking in college. I think that Everett and Euhus will do just fine if we do upgrade the line.

602520[/snapback]

I agree with everything you said here. Campbell isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. He'll never be a big-play guy, but he can put up Riemersma numbers if we actually had him run more pass routes. Everett and Euhus are still too young, but if all "The U" hype is true, Everett could be the real deal for us.

About Peters: I always thought he'd make an excellent TE/H-back, but I trust the coaches know better. And if you can find a guy who could be great at LT, you put him there instead of TE/H-back. End of story.

Regarding the FB position: having a FB in its pure sense (not the H-back) is a waste of a roster spot (my opinion only). Just use a 3rd WR/2nd TE/2nd RB as your 11th man. More offensive bang for the buck and less predictable play calling! Cut Shelton, save almost a million, and move on!