Sleepers: Players To Watch Out For Later

R. Rich

Anyone have any sleepers they've become aware of that could benefit the Bills? There's a few I've watched, but here's two that come to mind quickly:

David Pittman, CB, Northwestern St

After a pretty good showing in Mobile as a late addition to the Senior Bowl, Pittman might not be much of a sleeper, but I still don't think he'll go really high in the draft. If he's around in the 4th or later, man would I like to see the Bills draft him!

Bio From NFL Draft Countdown

Will Allen, G, Texas

Not a sleeper in the traditional sense, but not as highly regarded as many of the guards in this draft. I watched his Senior Bowl performance, and I thought he did very well. I saw him get out on a really nice block on a screen, and I saw him handle some pretty tough DTs inside, holding his ground in pass protection and getting good push in run blocking. Both of those things are weaknesses I see many of the draft sites highlighting as reasons Allen will slip to around the 4th round. If his Senior Bowl (not to mention his peformances in both the Red River Shootout and the Rose Bowl) performance is indication of his "weakness", I'd say he's well worth the gamble in the 4th if he's there.

Will Allen, G, Texas

Not a sleeper in the traditional sense, but not as highly regarded as many of the guards in this draft.  I watched his Senior Bowl performance, and I thought he did very well.  I saw him get out on a really nice block on a screen, and I saw him handle some pretty tough DTs inside, holding his ground in pass protection and getting good push in run blocking.  Both of those things are weaknesses I see many of the draft sites highlighting as reasons Allen will slip to around the 4th round.  If his Senior Bowl (not to mention his peformances in both the Red River Shootout and the Rose Bowl) performance is indication of his "weakness", I'd say he's well worth the gamble in the 4th if he's there.

600389[/snapback]

How would you compare Allen to Setterstrom? I ask this not so much in terms of value; what I would like to know is who do you think will be a better player?

Although not the common practice, drafting OGs early seem to be a very good move. Only 10 OGs were drafted in the first round in the last decade, and 6 have appeared in a superbowl. John (Hog) Hannah was the earliest OG selected that I could find, and he was pretty good, no? :lol:

Obviously, I am very concerned about the Guard position. AKC tells us that DTs are playing a more prominent role in modern defenses. If this is so (and I hate to argue with the likes of guys like you and AKC :doh: ), I am thinking that the Bills should go all out in this draft to get at least 2, because Villarial is old, and Anderson is not a good player.

IF (and that is admittedly a huge if) Peters can make the transition to LT, I think that the Bills, as bad as we were last season, could walk into 06 with a solid OL if we do things right, and imo the OG position is going to matter a ton.

Btw, great work! I hope that you know how much this is appreciated. ;)

• 2 weeks later...