I think folks are doing a lil too much psychology

Its interesting to see several posts which try to predict (or even firnly assert in sone weird cases) who the Bills QB will be in 06 with what seems to me to be a reliance on their own dimestore psychology assessment of :

1. JP's reactions.

2. What Golden Boy Marv likes

3. What Golden Boy Ralph likes

4. What motivated Sam Wyche and what it means for JPs prospects.

Folks just breathe deep and relax a bit.

1. The motivations of any of the people is complex and has many factors, not just simply one as most posts hang their hat on.

To simply assert that there is only 1 factor motivating them ignores the balance they all are striking on any decision and ignores the fact that these balances may change in emphasis quite a bit depending upon events that they can easily do the exact opposite of a true assertion of a real motivation they have.

2. There are simply some real world constraints which will drive their decisions regardless of what they would prefer. Marv may love and be addicted to old stand-bys, but if the contract and salary cap implications of cutting JP are too harsh, regardless of what he likes he will not cut JP.

3.Garbage in and garbage out. Remember that there are factors and events inffluencing decision-making which we have forgotten or simply do not know about that really drive the decisions.

For example, folks are trying to read the tea leaves and make judgments about whether Wyche leaving means he thinks JP is done (or alternately some folks theorize JP will improve because he is liberated from Wyche). Actually, the fact seems to be and was widely reported that Wyche was essentially rescued from retirement forced by medical problems by MM returning the favor of Wyche giving him his first coaching job by hiring Wyche even though there were medical questions about his future and medical effects of his voice being softer than the normal yellinc coach.

Rather than JP's status or future being a gleaned from any Wyche action, it seems far more likely that decisions about his employment were driven by MM resigning and the JP/Wyche relationship being a sidelight to this decision.

In the end, what happens in real life is simply going to make a huge difference and IMHO, that is the way it should be. JP and holcomb will compete on the field like they are supposed to in "voluntary" minicamps, then in training camp, and almost certainly in the first two pre-season games before any decision is made as to who starts.

JP and Holcomb both are on record as saying that the starter should be determined by on field performance. JP has said publicly that he did not get the starters job the right way (through being better than Bledsoe in game performance) when he was handed the job when Bledsoe was cut.

I think folks can easily comment on, but mostly ignore who is going to be "given" the QB job, because a big part of the Bills problem is that the braintrust keeps giving the job to someone when the real deal is that a player should take the job by his on field production.

Its interesting to see several posts which try to predict (or even firnly assert in sone weird cases) who the Bills QB will be in 06

598370[/snapback]

Well, that, and this is a message board, in the off-season, under a new regime, after a QB controversy, where people express their facts loosely disguised as opinions.

I think you're reading too much into people's claims. In my particular case, for example, when I say something like "baring injury, there is no way in hell that they don't start Losman opening day" it is not to infer that I know what is going on in Marv's head, or Dick Jauron's, or Steve Fairchild's, who I think is the ultimate decision maker on this question anyway. It is only to say that after watching the two play, after reviewing the tapes of last season, knowing what Holcomb brings to the table and what Losman brings to the table, they are going to choose the talented kid. To see if he "has it". Frankly, in this particular case, I think virtually every coach would. That is not to say JP is going to be good. He could be worse than last year.

It's just an opinion, a strong opinion, that when you have a team like the Bills, and you have a young guy with all the tools who has shown flashes of brilliance and is coming into his third year, and you have a journeyman back-up with known terrific qualities and serious limitations, you go with the young guy.

For me its a matter of deciding where our real and urgent problems are (offensive and defensive lines) and allocating limited resources to that end. That leaves you with two choices unless you want to allocate significant resources to getting another quarterback. Losman or Holcomb. Losman is the best bet until he proves he can't do it. If not...than Losman..If not Losman....solve the problem after next season. You can't do everything in one season.

Well, that, and this is a message board, in the off-season, under a new regime, after a QB controversy, where people express their facts loosely disguised as opinions.

I think you're reading too much into people's claims. In my particular case, for example, when I say something like "baring injury, there is no way in hell that they don't start Losman opening day" it is not to infer that I know what is going on in Marv's head, or Dick Jauron's, or Steve Fairchild's, who I think is the ultimate decision maker on this question anyway. It is only to say that after watching the two play, after reviewing the tapes of last season, knowing what Holcomb brings to the table and what Losman brings to the table, they are going to choose the talented kid. To see if he "has it". Frankly, in this particular case, I think virtually every coach would. That is not to say JP is going to be good. He could be worse than last year.

It's just an opinion, a strong opinion, that when you have a team like the Bills, and you have a young guy with all the tools who has shown flashes of brilliance and is coming into his third year, and you have a journeyman back-up with known terrific qualities and serious limitations, you go with the young guy.

598383[/snapback]

And I say you go with the older guy and force the younger guy to want it first. You don't hand it to the younger guy just because he has better athletic talent.

NFL QB is mostly mental. That's like saying let's sit down Peyton Manning because JP has better athletic talent and Peyton is over 30 yrs old.

Now before you jump I know Holcome is no Peyton Manning but JP at this stage is not a better QB then Holcome is and until he proves it in practice that he is- he sits.

That's just my strong opinion!

Now before you jump I know Holcome is no Peyton Manning but JP at this stage is not a better QB then Holcome is and until he proves it in practice that he is- he sits.

598396[/snapback]

Holcomb is not even close to Peyton but thats not my point for this reply

JP is not a better QB then Holcomb but Holcomb is not really a better QB then JP

Holcomb one 1 more game then JP (Mia, NYJ, and Cin for Holcomb, Hou, and KC for JP) I am going to say that JP probably would have beat Mia and NYJ and Holcomb would have also beaten Hou. So I don't see a major difference using Wins/Losses

Statistically Holcomb did look better but that was because of the plays that were called for him (more short dump passes for KH) giving him a better QB rating

If you look at the experience difference, Holcomb should be much better then JP since he has had alot of experience then a second year kid playing in his first full season.

Either way, let both compete in camp with another veteran QB or more and let the best player be the starter and the rest earn their spots. If that means JP or KH gets cut cause the others are better, it doesn't matter cause we have the best player starting.