League's Lying/Denial Making it Worse

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that I really don't see how they can justify is the low block call on Hasselbeck.  The rest I guess you can explain away, but that one just defies explanation and they should have issued an apology for it.

Shyeah, RIGHT! Issue an apology for farking up a call that produced a huge change in field position for the Steelers and helped them score the clinching TD?

The NFL is a joke. I really wish congress would look into game-fixing in this instance like they did steroids with MLB. Maybe THEN we'd see some decent officiating.

The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2322687

597954[/snapback]

I'm very pleased with the statement. People that want to blame the officials for the outcome can keep making excuses for everything problem they have, while people like me get stuff done!

I'm very pleased with the statement. People that want to blame the officials for the outcome can keep making excuses for everything problem they have, while people like me get stuff done!

And once again, OJ is innocent. Or Nicole and Ron deserved what they got because they didn't do enough to prevent their deaths, or overcome their attacker(s).

598022[/snapback]

Get what stuff done? Like the five minutes I spent over lunch talking about sh------- officiating today drastically affected my productivity... :D

NFL OFFICES

NEW YORK, NY

FEBRUARY 7, 2006

THE COMMISSIONER AND THE REFEREES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS. THE LEAGUE AND ITS OFFICIALS SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO TACKLE SO THAT YOU DO NOT GIVE UP 7 POINTS ON THE LONGEST RUN IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY. WE ALSO APOLOGIZE FOR DEPRIVING YOU OF ANY GAME FILMS OF YOUR OPPONENT, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. HAD YOU HAD ACCESS TO FILM OF YOUR OPPONENT'S PREVIOUS GAMES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN THEY RUN A REVERSE TO THEIR EX-QB WIDE RECEIVER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE HE IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL INSTEAD OF RUNNING. WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO YOUR KICKER AND PUNTER, WHO WERE CLEARLY UNAWARE OF THE TREACHEROUS ATMOSPHERE INSIDE FORD FIELD IN FEBRUARY. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE STEELERS' WHITE JERSEYS, WHICH MAY HAVE ACTUALLY LOOKED BLUE INDOORS, THUS CAUSING YOUR QB, #8, TO THROW THE BALL RIGHT TO ONE OF THEIR DEFENDERS. FINALLY, WE APOLOGIZE FOR PROVIDING A WORKING CLOCK, WHICH ACTUALLY TICKED OFF BY THE SECOND AT THE END OF EACH HALF WHILE YOUR COACH AND QUARTERBACK STARED BLANKLY AT EACH OTHER.

WE OFFER OUR SINCEREST APOLOGIES FOR THESE ERRORS.

PAUL TAGLIABUE

NFL OFFICES

NEW YORK, NY

FEBRUARY 7, 2006

THE COMMISSIONER AND THE REFEREES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS.  THE LEAGUE AND ITS OFFICIALS SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO TACKLE SO THAT YOU DO NOT GIVE UP 7 POINTS ON THE LONGEST RUN IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY.  WE ALSO APOLOGIZE FOR DEPRIVING YOU OF ANY GAME FILMS OF YOUR OPPONENT, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS.  HAD YOU HAD ACCESS TO FILM OF YOUR OPPONENT'S PREVIOUS GAMES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN THEY RUN A REVERSE TO THEIR EX-QB WIDE RECEIVER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE HE IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL INSTEAD OF RUNNING.  WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO YOUR KICKER AND PUNTER, WHO WERE CLEARLY UNAWARE OF THE TREACHEROUS ATMOSPHERE INSIDE FORD FIELD IN FEBRUARY.  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE STEELERS WHITE JERSEYS, WHICH MAY HAVE ACTUALLY LOOKED BLUE INDOORS, THUS CAUSING YOUR QB, #8, TO THROW THE BALL RIGHT TO ONE OF THEIR DEFENDERS.  FINALLY, WE APOLOGIZE FOR PROVIDING A WORKING CLOCK, WHICH ACTUALLY TICKED OFF BY THE SECOND AT THE END OF EACH HALF WHILE YOUR COACH AND QUARTERBACK STARED BLANKLY AT EACH OTHER.

PAUL TAGLIABUE

598037[/snapback]

Yeah...there's all that, too... :(

But while it's a perfectly valid counter-argument to "the refs cost Seattle the game", it should in no way be considered to contradict the simple fact that the officiating was about on par with what Stevie Wonder could have managed...

Yeah...there's all that, too...    :(

But while it's a perfectly valid counter-argument to "the refs cost Seattle the game", it should in no way be considered to contradict the simple fact that the officiating was about on par with what Stevie Wonder could have managed...

598041[/snapback]

Agreed. I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me. Pittsburgh got worked by the refs against Indy, and they held on. Seattle had plenty of chances to prevail, and they didn't cash in on any of them. But no doubt, Pittsburgh caught all the breaks, and they made the most of them.

Agreed.  I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me.  Pittsburgh got worked by the refs against Indy, and they held on.  Seattle had plenty of chances to prevail, and they didn't cash in on any of them.  But no doubt, Pittsburgh caught all the breaks, and they made the most of them.

598045[/snapback]

Yes...but it's a crying shame that's a qualification for championship.

I still like my idea...instead of music acts who are either members of AARP or barely out of middle school, the Superbowl halftime show should feature the public execution of the dumbest !@#$ing NFL ref from the previous year. We'd see officiating shape up REAL quick, I'd bet... :(

Agreed.  I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me.  Pittsburgh got worked by the refs against Indy, and they held on.  Seattle had plenty of chances to prevail, and they didn't cash in on any of them.  But no doubt, Pittsburgh caught all the breaks, and they made the most of them.

Well the Steelers only "got worked" on one play: the Polamolu INT, and they were ahead 21-10. That's hardly "getting worked," much less when you're behind and trying to score points.

The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2322687

597954[/snapback]

Just the fact that the NFL feels compelled to issue this "explanation" tells me that it's not just "the conspiracy theorists" on this board that believe that bad officiating effected the outcome.

Methinks they doth protest too much.

NFL OFFICES

NEW YORK, NY

FEBRUARY 7, 2006

THE COMMISSIONER AND THE REFEREES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS.  THE LEAGUE AND ITS OFFICIALS SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO TACKLE SO THAT YOU DO NOT GIVE UP 7 POINTS ON THE LONGEST RUN IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY.  WE ALSO APOLOGIZE FOR DEPRIVING YOU OF ANY GAME FILMS OF YOUR OPPONENT, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS.  HAD YOU HAD ACCESS TO FILM OF YOUR OPPONENT'S PREVIOUS GAMES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN THEY RUN A REVERSE TO THEIR EX-QB WIDE RECEIVER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE HE IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL INSTEAD OF RUNNING.  WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO YOUR KICKER AND PUNTER, WHO WERE CLEARLY UNAWARE OF THE TREACHEROUS ATMOSPHERE INSIDE FORD FIELD IN FEBRUARY.  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE STEELERS' WHITE JERSEYS, WHICH MAY HAVE ACTUALLY LOOKED BLUE INDOORS, THUS CAUSING YOUR QB, #8, TO THROW THE BALL RIGHT TO ONE OF THEIR DEFENDERS.  FINALLY, WE APOLOGIZE FOR PROVIDING A WORKING CLOCK, WHICH ACTUALLY TICKED OFF BY THE SECOND AT THE END OF EACH HALF WHILE YOUR COACH AND QUARTERBACK STARED BLANKLY AT EACH OTHER.

PAUL TAGLIABUE

598037[/snapback]

First logical post about the "poor officiating" I've seen yet.

If anyone thinks Seattle deserved to win that game based on their play and/or coaching needs their head examined.