Belichick or Parcells??

ajzepp

NFL Network (DAMN I love this friggin channel!!!!!) is showing a piece on Belichick and the Pats right now. I am really impressed by his candor and his approach. I know the guy has had some issues with his "people skills" in the past, but the guy is just one hell of a football mind. He demands a lot of his players, and they respond. The footage that impressed me most was how he goes from player to player and challenges them to think through situations. Not only what their responsibilities are, but what should they expect the other guy across from them to be thinking? What is the other team trying to do in a given situation, and what is the best way to respond?

I think with Parcells you get a lot of pop psychology and BS. Belichick seems to just lay it all out here. It'll forever be impossible to prove, but I would be my life on the fact that Parcells loses at least one of those superbowls w/out Belichick. Further, I think Belichick is a far superior coach than Parcells is or has ever been. He's simply the best coach in football - bar none.

I will always consider the Pats the second arch enemy and rival of my beloved Bills......but I can't help but respect their coach.

Belichick easily. Parcells has never won a Super Bowl without Belichick, Belichick has won Super Bowls without Parcells. I don't thinkParcells will ever win a SB without Belichick...who here doesn't think Belichick will get another SB at some point in his career?

As far as real teams, it would depend on what I thought my team needed in order to achieve. If I needed good Xs and Os, I'd choose Belicheck because it is clear few if any have better football minds.

However. if I had a team which needed to rebuild and regain its stature and if I judged my team needed motivation and leadership, I'd choose Parcellls over BB.

In terms of the tota; package because neither is a stiff at the other guys strenght (BB willed NE to success and Parcells also has a great football mind and instincts though I think he is no BB in terms of Xs abd Os) I'd choose Parcells in ter,s pf tje whole package.

Winning the SF is what it is all about in terms of goals, but simply making the SB is essential if you want to win it and making the Big Game gets lots of credit in my book.

I think that Parcells achievements are fantastic in not only being a multiple winner (something few HCs have achieved and even fewer with vrty different teams winning it), but I put a big feather in the Parcells cap for coaching a team to the dance in addition to winning it.

In addition to his outstanding achievements with NYG and NE, I also think it is a lesser than making it to the Big Dance but still an outstanding axhievement far better than what most HCs have achieved with how he was able to bring virtually immediate improvement to NYJ and Dallas.

It takes a Rich Kotite type to lose everywhere he goes, but I'm pretty confident that Parcells can win everywhere he goea.

Belicheck has done a phenomenal job with NE and winning an SB puts an HC in a special place and skipping a year and then winning it puts him in an even more special place.

However, being impressive in one place does not compare in my mind to Parcells being impressive in multiple places everywhere he goes.

BB will have to win a few more with NE or go someplace else and win to erase from my mind the horrible results he had in his first go round as an HC and the flip-flop he pulled when he agreed to go to NY and then he went back on his word and pulled out. This was not a fine hour or a profile in HC courage in my book.

BB is great but there are some negatives in his career as an HC that cannot be ignored if one is judging the careers of the these two men.

As far as BB getting credit for the SB wins under Parcells at NYG, sorry but Parcells was the HC and BB wasn't so I find it contrtadictory to give BB credit for being a good HC there when he wasn't. Even to the extent you want to declare BB a god there, then also give Parcells credit for being smart enough to choose him and let him do his work. In addition, as far as the NYG win over the Bills, there work on the side of the game which BB did not have control over was a key to the NYG win. Parcells gets the credit in my book for being HC of NYG because he was the JB and BB wasn't.