Please telling me no one is buying this

Mickey

The President, after meeting with Allawi, the appointed Prime Minister of the government installed in Iraq by US troops, said:

"If we stop fighting the terrorists in Iraq, they would be free to plot and plan attacks elsewhere, in America and other free nations" Bush-Allawi

Does anyone seriously think that being in Iraq prevents terrorists attacks elsewhere? Does anyone remember Madrid? Sorry but the terrorists are perfectly able to plot and plan attacks in Iraq as well as other places and the fact that we are there does not prevent them from attacking elsewhere. It just doesn't.

All 9-11 took was some planning, some volunteers and some box cutters. I am certain that AQ has no shortage of people willing to volunteer for suicidal missions. I also am quite sure that our presence in Iraq has not dried up the world's supply of box cutters or junk cars capable of being packed with explosives any 10 year old with access to the internet could concoct in his basement. As for planning, AQ seems plenty able to do that despite our presence in Iraq. As I recall, OBL and Zarqawi and others are not in custody and the administration itself has said many times that getting them wouldn't prevent AQ from motoring on. I don't think they are in imminent danger of running out of planners. If Timothy Mcvey, an idiot if there ever was one, can plan an attack that takes out a federal building, something tells me that planners is not a problem for terrorists.

There may be many good reasons to be in Iraq and I am not even trying to start yet another debate on whether that war is or continues to be a good idea. This statement is just stupid beyond belief.

I agree more and more with the author of Imperial Hubris, the reason AQ is attacking allies (ie Spain) and people in Iraq is a tactical and strategic decision on their part and has little to do with our having reduced them to those options. What I am less sure of is his conclusion that AQ is waiting to see how the election turns out. If Kerry wins, they will stick with their strategy of not attacking us on our own soil and see what he does. If Bush wins, they will conclude that we are not going to alter the middle east policies which have angered them and since, knowing what is coming our way we knowingly re-elected Bush, they are justified in killing American civilians/voters again. That is the authors opinion/prediction/speculation and I am not at all sure I agree with him.

"Vote for Bush or DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Vote for Kerry, or youll wind up being drafted!!!!!!!!!!!!"

More of the same old, same old.

43341[/snapback]

Not having cracked this whole "immortality" nut yet, I figure that the odds are pretty good that I going to die at some point no matter who gets elected. I am too old to be drafted so that issue doesn't effect me except indirectly and all those effects are good ones. Less competition if I want to trade up to a young trophy wife. Less likely to have to suffer through a rap "tune" being blasted at volumes usually reserved for jet aircraft or mortar fire.

Draft shmaft, what do I care? :rolleyes: