Assuming TED is back as DC...

booya2

Going back to a 3-4 could be done. In fact, the draft may set up well for just that. Now, we'd need a Ted Washington type to play NT, but at the 8th spot there's a decent chance AJ Hawk might be there. If we're able to pick up a big plodding NT (I'd love to keep Sam, but being a 2 gap tackle doesn't seem to be his desire or forte), picking up Hawk would allow us to roll out a very talented group of LB's in Fletcher, Spikes, Hawk, and Crowell(?). Certainly more talent at the LB position than Ted had last time he was here.

Going back to a 3-4 could be done. In fact, the draft may set up well for just that. Now, we'd need a Ted Washington type to play NT, but at the 8th spot there's a decent chance AJ Hawk might be there. If we're able to pick up a big plodding NT (I'd love to keep Sam, but being a 2 gap tackle doesn't seem to be his desire or forte), picking up Hawk would allow us to roll out a very talented group of LB's in Fletcher, Spikes, Hawk, and Crowell(?). Certainly more talent at the LB position than Ted had last time he was here.

588990[/snapback]

I've always loved the 3-4. I would be pretty psyched if we went back to that. I know a lot of people say it's not THAT much different, I just think the extra linebacker adds an extra element of speed and flexibility.

588990[/snapback]

And who would be our DEs in the 3-4? Our DEs don't have the size to play in the 3-4. Whoever is our DC will, hopefully, play to the strengths of this team. Moving to the 3-4 wouldn't be doing that.

Guest BackInDaDay
And who would be our DEs in the 3-4?  Our DEs don't have the size to play in the 3-4.  Whoever is our DC will, hopefully, play to the strengths of this team.  Moving to the 3-4 wouldn't be doing that.

589166[/snapback]

Agreed. We also need at least 3 sizable inside LBs. 260 at least. Kelsay would be better suited there than at DE. Too much personnel changes for one off-season. They could begin building the roster toward that end, but I doubt you'll see our base being a 4-3. A hidden advantage of carrying so many LBs to stock the 4-3 is the abilty to throw more of them into your STs.

I think folks are fooling themselves also if the simply assume that we are going to draft a player (even a 1st rounder who is going to fit right in no problem so that we can switch to a 3-4.

Good athletes are good athletes so a player who merits a 1st round choice should be able to pick up the intricacies of a 3-4 and excel at it, but remember that this great rookie is already learning to play a better collection of athletes who play consistently at a faster speed and know tricks he has never seen before and still excel.

He is playing against opposing coaches who have studied and taken apart his game and his strengths and weaknesses who now are gameplanning not simply to neurtalize his strengths but exploit his weaknesses and still excel.

We're going to expect/demand that this 1st rounder excel even when he is facing things he never faced before and now we are gonna ask him to do probably playing a D scheme he never has plated before.

Yeah right.

We are going to demand this of the rookie Ngota or Hawk with them having a back-up who never has played a 3-4 either.

Even if Ted comes here (which I would love) I think us switching to the 3-4 on a dime is unlikely as I do not think we have the personnel for this move. If TC comes here with the expectation of us making the switch to the 3-4 look for the 2006 season to be a training camp for the D and for us not to meet the Marv Levy Golden Boy dictum of win now as moving to the 3-4 without the personnel to run it well likely is a win later move.

If you're looking for a player to drop so that we can make the switch, it's Mario Williams.

While it woudn't be the greatest bunch in the league, we already have 4 solid LB's. Move Spikes inside with Fletcher and let Crowell and Posey (who played pretty well in Houston's 3-4) have the outsides.

Mario Williams and Schoebel would be able to handle the ends.

This still leaves DT, but IF Washington could be brought back in, he and Sam would be okay controlling the NT spot.

I believe with that line-up, and Cotrell running the D, we could successfully make the switch this year.

How possible is it? I think the Washington thing could happen, but no way Mario drops to 8. We would have to trade up to take him, and it just wouldn't be worth it. Not with all the help the O-line needs.

BTW...I LOVE the 3-4! I would love to see this happen if it were possible.