I think we have the tools for the 3/4

DreamOnDan

Anybody hope that DJ will bring a 3/4 defense to the Bills next year? What I'm seeing is four linebackers who all can play with incredible speed and a very large powerful DT in Sam Adams. Crowell played ILB in college and his play picked up tremendously by the end of the year. We can Send Posey off the edge more often since he is a better pass rusher than Kelsay, and thrived as Houstons edge rusher in the 3/4... The NFL is built on speed and trading off a bannan/anderson/edwards for a Crowell makes a lot of sense to me. I also don't think that the Bills paid Crowell so much money to be a backup. The real question is can Schobel and Kelsay do their respective jobs containing the edge in this type of defense?

Adams is a great gap DT, he would be a terrible NT in a 3-4. His issues this year with his benchings were a direct result of his not wanting to take up a double team at the line, a prime duty of the NT.

We also don't have the DEs to make that work. Small high motor guys don't cut it in 3-4.

I like your idea of going with a 3-4,but we have no nose tackle. A 3-4 requires a NT that will take on double teams and anchor the middle of the D line. I know Adams is big and strong enough to do it,but I doubt he would. He's not a team guy and he insists on playing like a 285 lb DT. True NT's are hard to find.

I disagree with the comments on Sam not wanting to take up two defenders... At NT you don't just sit there and get blocked.. He is excellent at shooting the gaps which is all he needs to do most of the time- if eating up two blockers is the primary concern then sam is the man. When you watch Casey Hampton play NT he gets up field and wrecks havoc as he penetrates a gap. It is the play call on defense which dictates which gap. Now for the De's containing the edge... I have unlimited confidence that Schobel can do what he needs to and be very succesfull at whatever the Bills ask of him. I also think that Ryan Denney would be a nice LE in a 3/4 scheme. But if we drafted a Tamba Hali. Now we would have the necessary men to fill out a solid 3/4 D line. He is very powerful and large enough to contain the erdge, while quick enough to coolapse the pocket in passing situations. I think that something is brewing at One Bills drive and it seems to make sense that if changes are immenent this could be an easy transition for our quick defense.

Anybody hope that DJ will bring a 3/4 defense to the Bills next year?  What I'm seeing is four linebackers who all can play with incredible speed and a very large powerful DT in Sam Adams.  Crowell played ILB in college and his play picked up tremendously by the end of the year.  We can Send Posey off the edge more often since he is a better pass rusher than Kelsay, and thrived as Houstons edge rusher in the 3/4...  The NFL is built on speed and trading off a bannan/anderson/edwards for a Crowell makes a lot of sense to me.  I also don't think that the Bills paid Crowell so much money to be a backup.  The real question is can Schobel and Kelsay do their respective jobs containing the edge in this type of defense?

586833[/snapback]

If we had so much speed then why did we suck so bad in D this season?

I disagree with the comments on Sam not wanting to take up two defenders...  At NT you don't just sit there and get blocked.. He is excellent at shooting the gaps which is all he needs to do most of the time-  if eating up two blockers is the primary concern then sam is the man.  When you watch Casey Hampton play NT he gets up field and wrecks havoc as he penetrates a gap.  It is the play call on defense which dictates which gap.  Now for the De's containing the edge...  I have unlimited confidence that Schobel can do what he needs to and be very succesfull at whatever the Bills ask of him.  I also think that Ryan Denney would be a nice LE in a 3/4 scheme.  But if we drafted a Tamba Hali.  Now we would have the necessary men to fill out a solid 3/4 D line.  He is very powerful and large enough to contain the erdge, while quick enough to coolapse the pocket in passing situations.  I think that something is brewing at One Bills drive and it seems to make sense that if changes are immenent this could be an easy transition for our quick defense.

586856[/snapback]

I have not watched Hampton enough to comment on his play,but I think that any 3-4 defense needs the NT to play in a 2 gap style at least some of the time. There's more to it than just taking up 2 blockers. The NT must take responsibility for 2 gaps not just 1. This takes away his ability to choose a gap and shoot to the backfeild. Adams has refused to play a 2 gap style in the past.

I have not watched Hampton enough to comment on his play,but I think that any 3-4 defense needs the NT to play in a 2 gap style at least some of the time. There's more to it than just taking up 2 blockers. The NT must take responsibility for 2 gaps not just 1. This takes away his ability to choose a gap and shoot to the backfeild. Adams has refused to play a 2 gap style in the past.

586917[/snapback]

Hmm, let's see...

Hampton = Stout

Adams = Bitter

...it's a beer thing :doh:

I've thought we may be better going to a 3-4 also. Have the LBs for it, and plug in NGATA as NT and u have a good lineup. If adams comes back, he could play DE on 1st, 2nd down, bring in a pass rusher on 3rd? Still would have posey and spikes coming off the edges, with fletcher and crowell in the middle.