(OT) Help me with my music collection

ajzepp

my recommendations, and my favorite album by each:

Steve Earle- The revolution starts...NOW.

Luna- Penthouse

Nick Cave- And no more shall we part

Rufus Wainwright- Poses

Liz Phair- Exile in Guyville

Ben Folds five- The unauthorized biography of reinhold messner

Alice Donut- The untidy suicides of your degenerate children

Shane macgowan- Crock of gold

musically, there is everything here from blaring punk rock to dreamy psychedelica to alt country to gay piano crooning (and more!), but i love all these artists because they are all such great lyricists.  in fact, i am currently very stoked that i have 5th row seats to see rufus tonight in bethlehem pa. 

enjoy your search!

45427[/snapback]

Cool, thanks man....I put Rufus on my list a month or so ago when I heard him on the soundtrack to 'I am Sam'......he has a great voice, and from what I hear his music is pretty intelligent. Liz Phair is another one I'm interested in hearing more about. The others you mentioned I'm not familiar with, but that's even better <_<

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just make sure you avoid the self-titled "liz phair," released in '03, which is known by all her fans as liz phair's "mid-life crisis" album! she really drove a lot of us away with that piece of meirde. it's hard to believe the same person who wrote the songs on "exile" could even look at a mirror after releasing it. but imo, everything else she's released is great.

gov't mule is playing richmond halloween night. i have wanted to see them for a while.

Good call on that one ByTor. I'm cranking up Gov't Mule, Live at the Roseland Ballroom right now! I was fortunate enough to see the Mule open for Jethro Tull before Allen Woody died.

If I could pick one guitarist to emulate, it would be Warren Haynes. He's just so versatile, he always seems to know what to play. I heard he rocked it playing with The Dead this summer...

45069[/snapback]

These are much more well known than just about any in this thread, but if you are young you may have never heard them:

Yes: Close to the Edge

Dire Straits: Dire Straits, Making Movies and Love Over Gold

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia

Big Country: The Crossing (not a joke, if you ignore your memory of the stupid video, the abum is good)

Any Led Zep - Oddly my favorite is Zep 3

David Gilmour - About Face

Any Pink Floyd

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

You may know most/all of these but if you're under 35 maybe not

You're going to hate me for this, because I can't remember any other album that ever annoyed a fan base as much as "Liz Phair", but I like most of the album. "Red Light Fever," "Firewalker," and "Little Digger" are great songs, and I think "Why Can't I" is a good pop tune.

I completely agree that she and the Matrix misfired with all the other songs out there, but I just skip on by them. I also like Michael Penn a lot as a caveat.

I also am partial to whitechocolatespaceegg above the other three albums, but admittedly ATBNG likes his music poppy. I think "Exile" gets attention because it was so revolutionary at the time, but the album as a whole is spotty to me. Too many songs.

just make sure you avoid the self-titled "liz phair," released in '03, which is known by all her fans as liz phair's "mid-life crisis" album!  she really drove a lot of us away with that piece of meirde.  it's hard to believe the same person who wrote the songs on "exile" could even look at a mirror after releasing it.  but imo, everything else she's released is great.

45460[/snapback]