some notes from Senior Bowl practices

Lothar

The only time I saw Max-Jean Gilles in a game, he looked like Jamie Nails. This report on him being out of shape isn't surprising. We might want to keep an eye on the Ohio State center as well as FSU DT Brodrick Bunkley who seems to have climbed into the 2nd round now that he's gained a few pounds. I know some people have tossed around a few of the other names here as well.

Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State, continues to dominate in 1-on-1 drills. He could elevate himself to the top center prospect in the draft if he continues to impress.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia, might be the top prospect in the draft. Today he pushed around top DE prospect Mathias Kiwanuka in 1-on-1 drills. While Bush, Leinart, and Young get all the press Ferguson could be the best player to come out of this draft. It would be surprising if he gets past the Jets at the fourth pick. They need an offensive tackle and have been very interested in Ferguson. They'd be foolish to pass him up at four. If it wasn't for the need to sell tickets and appease the 'average fan', the Texans would pass on Bush or Young with number one pick and draft Ferguson. They may live to regret passing on such a talent.

Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia, has looked slow and out of shape. During a 1-on-1 drill, Gabe Watson ran him over.

Tye Hill's stock continues its meteroric rise. He displayed excellent cover skills in 1-on-1 drills, where he intercepted a pass. His pure speed and cover ability have moved him into the first round.

Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State is going to see his stock rise after his impressive first day showing. At a muscular 6'2" and 300 he showed incredible agility and power while attacking the rusher. He's the type of run stuffing defensive tackle NFL coaches must have to be successful.

From NFL Draft countdown

Inside at guard Max Jean-Gilles of Georgia can really control his man and looked good while Florida's Mike Degory was pushed back a bit by the bull rush and Will Allen of Texas needed a lot of attention from coaches and struggled.

Sorry, that honor belongs to Mario.

582995[/snapback]

I don't think they meant THE top DE prospect, just A top prospect.

Inside at guard Max Jean-Gilles of Georgia can really control his man and looked good while Florida's Mike Degory was pushed back a bit by the bull rush

582995[/snapback]

Yah I saw that too - it'll be interesting how he works out and measures at the combine - for a pure run blocker, he may be very good. I'm curious how he handles any of the better pass rushers inside.

Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia, has looked slow and out of shape. During a 1-on-1 drill, Gabe Watson ran him over.

582991[/snapback]

funny it should mention this, apparantly no one did more to boost their draft status then Gabe Watson.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

About 3/4ths down the page

Best practice overall? In my eyes was DT #78 Gabe Watson. The knock on this player is he's lazy - well he certainly did not look lazy, threw himself into everything 100% - even stretches. At least 3 tackles for loss or just "breaking up the play" against the run in 11 on 11's. A monster during 1 on 1 pass rush drills (at least 2 genuine "sacks") utilizing bull, push pull and rip techniques. Surprisingly flexible and fast.

The only time I saw Max-Jean Gilles in a game, he looked like Jamie Nails.  This report on him being out of shape isn't surprising.  ....Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia, has looked slow and out of shape. During a 1-on-1 drill, Gabe Watson ran him over.

582991[/snapback]

He looked terrible... hard to believe some people want him on the Bills. Then again, some thought picking up Bennie Anderson was a good move too. :)