How Attractive will This Team be to FAs?

I heard brave talk about us making a big splash in free agency this year. . . Are you guys kidding me? Well, you are kidding yourselves if you believe it. This team is widely considered a joke right now. If the money is about even, they'll go anywhere else. We'd have to overpay FAs to come here, at this juncture. That's not good for cap purposes, obviously.

Also, do you really think, after a cheap HC hire like this, that Ralph is going to go all out and really open up the wallet this off season for FAs? Please.

Ralph's going to add a few mid/lower level FAs to pacify the angry mob a bit. . . nothing more.

I heard brave talk about us making a big splash in free agency this year. . . Are you guys kidding me? Well, you are kidding yourselves if you believe it. This team is widely considered a joke right now. If the money is about even, they'll go anywhere else. We'd have to overpay FAs to come here, at this juncture. That's not good for cap purposes, obviously.

Also, do you really think, after a cheap HC hire like this, that Ralph is going to go all out and really open up the wallet this off season for FAs? Please.

Ralph's going to add a few mid/lower level FAs to pacify the angry mob a bit. . . nothing more.

579589[/snapback]

money talks

Yes, exactly. And other teams will show them more of it.

579599[/snapback]

we shall see.........given our current cap room, we should be quite active in free agency........there are holes to fill and that is the fastest way to address them.....obviously if certain cuts are made (moulds/williams/etc) the possibilty of a big free agent splash becomes more likely.......

drawing conclusions that jauron was chosen over sherman based soley on money is foolish.......

Yes, exactly. And other teams will show them more of it.

579599[/snapback]

The Bills will undoubtedly have to pay a "disorganized organization" premium to attract better FA's. The question is, how large that premium will be--10% above what an "attractive franchise to play for" offers, 20%, 30%, etc.

we shall see.........given our current cap room, we should be quite active in free agency........there are holes to fill and that is the fastest way to address them.....obviously if certain cuts are made (moulds/williams/etc) the possibilty of a big free agent splash becomes more likely.......

drawing conclusions that jauron was chosen over sherman based soley on money is foolish.......

579604[/snapback]

drawing conclusions that Jauron was chosen over Sherman based solely on money is foolish? Yes. It wasn't solely the money, Marv's buddy needed a job.

drawing conclusions that Jauron was chosen over Sherman based solely on money is foolish? Yes. It wasn't solely the money, Marv's buddy needed a job.

579619[/snapback]

or perhaps he just thought that jauron was the best man for the job?

funny how TD bought 4 years of "i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that move", but levy, a proven winner, is getting raked over the coals from day one.......have a little patience.....

or continue to freak about free agents hating us and our cap room, whatever does it for ya........

579589[/snapback]

Oh sure, because everyone knows that the Patriot's dynasty was built on expensive free agents! :D

579589[/snapback]

There seems to be some risk. Prior to B'gals owner Mike Brown changing his evil ways, they hired several FA's on their downside who were looking for a late-career meal ticket. LB Kevin Hardy, picked up after the leaving of TKO, was a noteable exception - gutsy player, great attitude - but declining skills. He gave it his best shot. But the popular perception was that the better FA's didn't want to come here.

I don't know how one could quantify such, though...

Oh sure, because everyone knows that the Patriot's dynasty was built on expensive free agents!  :D

579642[/snapback]

You can't seriously put us in the same boat as the Pats, can you? Their coaching and scouting against ours?

We need all the help we can get. You're not advocating us avoiding free agency this off season are you?

How do any of us know how the Bills are regarded around the league. Are any of us coaches or players in the NFL? To say that no FA's are going to want to sign here because the coaching/GM? I love how Buffalo fans are always doom and gloom no matter what happens.

Lets say sherman was hired cause he has a good track record. So did TD, did that work out for us? TD was the best available guy for the job when he was hired.

How many other openings did Sherman interview for or was regarded as their top choice?

You can't seriously put us in the same boat as the Pats, can you? Their coaching and scouting against ours?

We need all the help we can get. You're not advocating us avoiding free agency this off season are you?

579660[/snapback]

Sure. We passed on Charlie Weis and took the more qualified Mularkey. Now, we've upgraded again.

It won't be. We're not going to be able to attract the guys who are in this to win, and those are the guys you want. We'll get a few guys looking for a paycheck and we'll overpay for them because we'll have no choice.

I heard brave talk about us making a big splash in free agency this year. . . Are you guys kidding me? Well, you are kidding yourselves if you believe it. This team is widely considered a joke right now.

Based on your assertion that Buffalo is widely considered a joke I am assuming you have been in discussion with potential free agents?

Lets say sherman was hired cause he has a good track record. So did TD, did that work out for us? TD was the best available guy for the job when he was hired.

579674[/snapback]

It did work out from a FA signing standpoint (TKO, SA, LM, TV). Spikes couldn't wait to get out of Cincy and sign with a legit organization. Now we have the reverse situation.

You really think the players and their agents are so naive that they don't follow what's happening in a city before they consider signing somewhere?

It did work out from a FA signing standpoint (TKO, SA, LM, TV).  Spikes couldn't wait to get out of Cincy and sign with a legit organization.  Now we have the reverse situation.   

You really think the players and their agents are so naive that they don't follow what's happening in a city before they consider signing somewhere?

579756[/snapback]

I feel really bad for Spikes.

Okay we attracted TKO, LM, SA, and TV. And that got us how many playoff births? How many of those guys are being considered over the hill and should be cut by all the "experts" on this board?

I know players and their agents look into a team before signing with them, but how do we know what this team looks like from a players/agents side? Just because WGR or ESPN is reporting the franchise is in turmoil must make it true cause they have been right 100% of the time (whens Haslett being named our new coach?)?

Okay we attracted TKO, LM, SA, and TV. And that got us how many playoff births? How many of those guys are being considered over the hill and should be cut by all the "experts" on this board?

579774[/snapback]

At the time those FA's were signed, they were about as high profile as they come. TD put all his eggs in the "win now" basket with those signings, and now they're on the downside three years later. Which makes his flip-flop to "building for the future with JP" so galling, based on those signings.

I know players and their agents look into a team before signing with them, but how do we know what this team looks like from a players/agents side? Just because WGR or ESPN is reporting the franchise is in turmoil must make it true cause they have been right 100% of the time (whens Haslett being named our new coach?)?

579774[/snapback]

Man, this is a multi-billion dollar business we're talking about. Player agents have contacts at every level of every organization. If they want to find out how the poops' flying, they can definately do so. They don't have to lisent to "GR.

or perhaps he just thought that jauron was the best man for the job?

funny how TD bought 4 years of "i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that move", but levy, a proven winner, is getting raked over the coals from day one.......have a little patience.....

or continue to freak about free agents hating us and our cap room, whatever does it for ya........

579639[/snapback]

Good, solid points (like yours) are flamed on a regular basis at the "Bill Grill". I havent posted in quite some time because of it. Lots of haters on this board who get a thrill out of blasting smart posts. That's fine, I'll go back to the sidelines and watch.

Jeff