HC candidates

L.I.Phil

The Bills were not interested in hiring a coodinator as a head coach.  TD did it twice, and it got him fired.  Marv will hire a coach to be the coach.

574237[/snapback]

It will be too bad if all that Marv can do is follow doctrine of get someone who has done it before and try to get a former HC rather than instead go with football and gut instinct and again pick a co-ordinator.

The problem with or last two HCs was not that they were "mere" co-ordinators, but unfortunately neither proved to have the skillset necessary to do the job.

There certainly is recent experience that former co-ordinators Lovie Smith and Marvin Lewis proved to be skilled enough to turn their losing squads into winners in a seeming blink of the eye.

Certainly the stinky jobs which Marv did in KC and wunderkind Bill Belichick did in Cleve demonstrate that a former HC may well be able to do the job if he learned the lessons of his past mess ups.

However, his Marv has good insticts he can find the John Fox in the rough who can go from co-ordinator to successful HC.

Millen choosing former successful HC Mooch in Detroit is a clear example that having done the HC job before (even successfully) is a long way from an HC being up to a new job.

i like the fact how claton has been wrong almost every time this season........1st he says haz is our front runner,then the other day he says haz no chance with the bills cause he is going to detroit,and he was wrong about saunders taking the rams job,that went to liehan i think sherman and bates are coming

Millen choosing former successful HC Mooch in Detroit is a clear example that having done the HC job before (even successfully) is a long way from an HC being up to a new job.

574250[/snapback]

IMO, your perspective is usually well thought out and many times spot on. This time I believe you have missed the boat.

The situation with Millen in Detroit doomed Mooch in the Motor City from the start. Parcells couldn't have changed that outcome. The real tragedy is that Mariucci took the job. Now he's burnt out and out of the coaching market. If that didn't tell you a lot about the real situation, nothing could.

So much of the basis for success in coaching is all about the environment. One of the brightest aspects of Buffalo's situation is that Levy stresses teamwork and builds winning attitudes. That alone will go a long way in helping any coach be successful here this time.

A lot of what is taking place right now will bear this out. The teams with "can-do" attitudes in the office will breed successful coaches on the field. Analyse this in a year and see if you then agree.

The Bills were not interested in hiring a coodinator as a head coach.  TD did it twice, and it got him fired.  Marv will hire a coach to be the coach.

574237[/snapback]

You are probably correct, but I don't really like the reasoning. Obviously, there are good candidates out there in the coordinator ranks. TD just failed to find the right ones. Also, it might have helped both Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey if TD had done a better job bringing in more talent on the offensive & defensive lines. Just because these hirings didn't work out doesn't mean you can't find a good HC in the coordinator ranks. The HC search needs to be wide open and thorough. I don't care if it takes a couple more weeks -- find the right guy. Rushing this decision will be the worst move to make.

Now that Henderson is officially done with NYJ, the Bills would have to be crazy not to consider him for either HC or DC. I know they are old but Levy and Wilson better wake up from their nap and get on it! This guy is not gonna be available for long and if someone else gets him it will be another missed opportunity. Also, if Wilson wants a HC he does not have to pay 3M per year he could probably get him for 1M. This guys defense in 04 was awesome.In 05, they were not quite as good because of injuries and also because Knucklehead Edwards felt threatened by his success and took some control of the defense back from him.

BTW I predict the Chiefs will be 4-12 in 2 yrs with that A--hole.

Donnie Henderson ? This guy looks like the real deal. His players seem to love him and his squad performed very well after he joined Jets.

574234[/snapback]

2005 -- 29th against the run, 23rd in points allowed, 25th in sacks, 15th in takeaways

not all that impressive if you ask me.........anyone else find it strange that their has been no talk of henderson following edwards to KC? could it be that edwards doesn't want him?

2005 -- 29th against the run, 23rd in points allowed, 25th in sacks, 15th in takeaways

not all that impressive if you ask me.........anyone else find it strange that their has been no talk of henderson following edwards to KC? could it be that edwards doesn't want him?

575149[/snapback]

As I said in 05 they were not as good but they had many injured starters and were on the field 40 minutes or more most games and still busted thier ass for this guy. He is the real deal and if the Bills do not interview him they are the losers.Levy and Wilson might get lucky and hire someone decent but I dont think it will be because they are smart. They will need luck.

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.

It will be too bad if all that Marv can do is follow doctrine of get someone who has done it before and try to get a former HC rather than instead go with football and gut instinct and again pick a co-ordinator.

574250[/snapback]

One can successfuly argue that Both GW and MM have football and gut instinct and looked what happended.

575149[/snapback]

Believe part of the deal that Herm Edwards agreed to in KC was to keep Gunther Cunningham as the DC (Carl Peterson mandated that). Whether or not Herm would have taken Donnie with him had he not already been "saddled" with GC is strictly conjecture at this point.

GO BILLS!

The problem with or last two HCs was not that they were "mere" co-ordinators, but unfortunately neither proved to have the skillset necessary to do the job.

574250[/snapback]

FakeFat - you are absolutely correct. I do not understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Now we're bringing in Dom Capers because he has experience? :(

Why not just bring in Rich Kotite while we're at it.