Would you let a dog smell your breath?

Draconator

http://www.physorg.com/news9994.html

Study Reveals Dogs Can Smell Cancer in Patients' Breath

General Science : January 18, 2006

A new study reported by the National Geographic has revealed that dogs can detect cancer by smelling a patient’s breath. Domestic dogs can distinguish between infected lung and breast cancer patients and healthy subjects after just a few weeks training. The study was conducted by Pine Street Foundation, a California based cancer research organization.

Michael McCulloch, the lead researcher of the study team said, "Our study provides compelling evidence that cancers hidden beneath the skin can be detected simply by [dogs] examining the odors of a person's breath," When diagnosed early, a cancer patient's survival chances can be greatly improved. The new study has increased hopes for cancer patients.

Dogs have the ability to detect chemical traces at a range of parts per million. Separate studies conducted by other researchers have found that trained dogs can detect skin-cancer melanomas by sniffing skin lesions. Further research is on the way to prove that trained dogs can also screen for prostrate cancer by sniffing urine.

Nicholas Broffman, director of the Pine Street Foundation said, "Canine scent detection of cancer was anecdotally discussed for decades, but we felt it was appropriate to design a rigorous study that seriously investigated this topic to better evaluate its effectiveness,"

Lung and breast cancer patients exhale patterns of biochemical markers in their breath. "Cancer cells emit different metabolic waste products than normal cells," Broffman continued, "The differences between these metabolic products are so great that they can be detected by a dog's keen sense of smell, even in the early stages of disease."

The researchers trained five dogs. After inhaling breath samples from 83 people, the dogs identified 55 lung and 31 breast cancer patients. The dogs gave a positive reply by sitting or lying down in front of a test station. The research study was between 88 and 97 percent accurate. The results remained accurate even when considering whether the lung cancer patients were current smokers.

Canines' sense of smell is generally 10,000 to 100,000 times superior to that of humans. Although it is not clear what makes dogs good smellers, they have a greater convergence of neurons from the nose to the brain than humans do. Moreover, the dog brain is more devoted to the sense of smell than the human brain is.

Dogs may become an indespensible part of the early cancer screening process.

Copyright 2006 PhysOrg.com

If this is so, then it begs the question: Don't we have medical equipment that when one breaths (exhales) into that it could read the same cancer cells that emit different metabolic waste products than normal cells? Those differences between these metabolic products that are so great that they can be detected by a dog's keen sense of smell, ought to be able to be detected by one of those fancy machines that the folks over at CSI/CIA/NSA/FBI have, right? I mean this really does make sense, but if a dog can detect this, then we ought to have medical testing equipment that can read the same things.

If this is so, then it begs the question: Don't we have medical equipment that when one breaths (exhales) into that it could read the same cancer cells that emit different metabolic waste products than normal cells?  Those differences between these metabolic products that are so great that they can be detected by a dog's keen sense of smell, ought to be able to be detected by one of those fancy machines that the folks over at CSI/CIA/NSA/FBI have, right?  I mean this really does make sense, but if a dog can detect this, then we ought to have medical testing equipment that can read the same things.

573977[/snapback]

Most machines that sense odors still don't approach the effectiveness of the human sense of smell, let alone a dog's.

This is relatively funny. I would love to put a white lab coat on my dog and have him give me a checkup. I'd maybe even hang a stethoscope around his neck for effect.

After I breath on him:

One bark = All good

Two barks= The dreaded cancer

Three barks= Throw the tennis ball

Four barks= Stop breathing in my face

Actually we're doing some of this work at my lab. Some of the cancer breath specimens are sent to the dogs, and the other are cryo forzen and then run in our 9.4 Tesla ICR magnet that will identify all the components in the breath. Pretty much its a high powered super glorified Mass Spec. Then the two studies are brought back together and compared. Interesting stuff. We've got a standard schnauzer (sp) and a Munserlander Pointer. Both are AKC show dogs, and the schnauzer has won several awards.