Past events:Bills NOT doomed by waiting on HC

The Bills waited until they were the last to hire an HC among the record (at the time) 5 teams looking to fill an HC opening and they hired loser Gregg Williams.

However, it strikes me as a superficial reading of events to judge that due to GW proving to be a not-ready-for-primetime HC we should change course and hire somebody right away this time.

One should remember that we also passed on options John Fox and Marvin Lewis when TD was wowed by GW.

The problem with he GW HC hire was not that we were not fast enough, but we were doomed because TD was lousy at picking the right HC.

Waiting is not a problem IF we choose the right guy.

Generally my sense is that really 80% of so of HC candidates are like Belichick and Levy. They win with good teams (NE or the BIlls in these towo cases) and lose (even badly) with bad teams (Cleveland and KC in these two cases).

About 20 % of HCs seem to have the abilityt to win anywhere they go or lose anywhere they go. However, the majority by far of this 20% are Rich Kotites who can lose anywhere and there are really only a few Bill Parcells who win wherever they go.

RWS seems to like to wait because by being last he gets to take advantage of an employers market and hold down the amount he has to pay. This came back to bite us in the GW case because TD seemed to be primarily motivated by wanting to hire an HC who couldn't fire him like Cowher did.

GW might actually have been a very good administrative asst. to TD with his voluminous lists and contacts if TD had simply come out of the closet and just ruyn the damn team from the start. His history here actually included some very good GM player moves like getting Sam Adams for cheap, attracting some good FAs to this small town like TKO and Fletcher, a mixed bag with the draft with good moves like Clements, McGee and McGahee and busts like MW.

However, his passive aggressive style of letting GW make his own bed even if he made it badly really killed us.

So I for one am less interested in "The Golden Boys" doing iut right rather than having them do it fast.

Believe me, I shed few tears over us having missed out on the opportunity to sign Sean Peyton and do not even feel bad about us getting a past losing talent like Jauron as long as like Marv and BB Jauron has learned some good lessons from his past failures.

The main reason TD waited was to actually interview Marvin Lewis & John Fox - both were assistants on teams playing in the Superbowl. The rules at the time stated that nobody could contact/interview assistants while their teams were still in the postseason.

It was right for him to wait...he just picked the wrong guy.

The main reason TD waited was to actually interview Marvin Lewis & John Fox - both were assistants on teams playing in the Superbowl. The rules at the time stated that nobody could contact/interview assistants while their teams were still in the postseason.

It was right for him to wait...he just picked the wrong guy.

571706[/snapback]

Or TD got turned down by the guy (Marvin Lewis) he wanted all along and had to go with his 2nd choice (GW). I truly believe he wanted Lewis and that's why waiting so long, as he could of easily named GW after the impressive interview everyone likes to balk at. Yet instead TD held on until after interviewing Lewis and Fox to name GW HC.

RWS seems to like to wait because by being last he gets to take advantage of an employers market and hold down the amount he has to pay.  This came back to bite us in the GW case because TD seemed to be primarily motivated by wanting to hire an HC who couldn't fire him like Cowher did.

571693[/snapback]

TD did not 'seem' to be primarily motivated by wanting to hire an HC who couldn't fire him like Cowher did but some have chosen to run with the same old line over and over again and sometimes even change posting alias after their lines get old.