Why is Sherman a good fit?

Sherman is a west coast offense guy. The WCO is rather complicated and takes years to learn and is, IMO, producing diminishing returns. To me, a good fit is somebody who will come in, and put together an offense and defense that will make the most of the talent in place. I know Sherman won games, but he inherited a team with the best QB in the NFL and a deeply established WCO system and he didn't do anything special. Yes, he won and made the playoffs in the NFC Norris, but in the playoffs they got handled. He was a lousy GM as well. To me, he is a poor man's George Siefert, and we saw how he handled starting from scratch in Carolina. AVOID this guy.

I would rather have a lot of other coaches. Martz would be a fit for the talent in place and would do wonders for Losman, Evans and Parrish, IMO. I'd even rather have coach HAY-ZLITT. God, I'd even rather have a re-tread like Dick Jauron.

I don't know if he's a purely a WCO coach or not. It may simply be a case of Sherman not screwing up something that's not broken (something too many coaches do in the situation he was in). He appears to be rather new to the WCO, only being involved in that system since joining the Packers in 1997 (interestingly as a TE coach and assistant OL coach). Prior to that, Sherman was an OL coach dating all the way back to 1983 with Tulane, Holy Cross, UCLA, and his most recent job prior to joining the Packers was at Texas A&M, again, as an OL coach.

I find his experience at Texas A&M the most interesting and the most indicative of the fact that he probably is NOT a WCO only type of coach. That's not exactly a passing team, but he coached there for almost a decade before joining the Packers. Most likely, the WCO is simply something he picked up under Holmgren, but he's probably got experience coaching in a lot of different systems.

I would rather have a lot of other coaches.  Martz would be a fit for the talent in place and would do wonders for Losman, Evans and Parrish, IMO.  I'd even rather have coach HAY-ZLITT.  God, I'd even rather have a re-tread like Dick Jauron.

570299[/snapback]

Martz? Yeah, that dome offense looked spectacular in the elements last season. Get real.

The Chiefs run it quite well and they play outdoors.  Man, it would be nice to have a great offensive team here again.

570379[/snapback]

The Chiefs also have the personnel in place to run it, including dominant offensive tackles, a veteran QB, and a terrific tight end. We try running that mess with our group and we'll be scouring the wire by midseason for our fourth QB.

Let me know when Arrowhead has winds like the Ralph, won't you?

The Chiefs run it quite well and they play outdoors.  Man, it would be nice to have a great offensive team here again.

570379[/snapback]

True it is the same system, but the chiefs basis for the air coryell system is more an emphasis on a run game, which is perfect for an outdoor team, especially a cold weather outdoor team. They dont have the greatest skill position players, if we can put together a decent oline, a guy like Lee Evans would be an absolute star in that system. We also have the rb who runs a lot like the other chiefs rb priest holmes. Build the oline and bring in Saunders. A lot better fit then Martz.

The Chiefs also have the personnel in place to run it, including dominant offensive tackles, a veteran QB, and a terrific tight end.  We try running that mess with our group and we'll be scouring the wire by midseason for our fourth QB. 

Let me know when Arrowhead has winds like the Ralph, won't you?

570381[/snapback]

The Chiefs didn't have the personnel in place to run the Rams offense like the Rams do, they adapted to what they had. Too many offenses let the defense do what they want to and try to beat them by sneaking into tiny spots that they hope are vulnerable. Martz attacks a defense, and makes it respect the threat of the big play, thus opening up the running game. Granted, having a good OL is imperative, but if they don't fix that mess, nothing is going to work. As for the wind, you can't let that dictate what you do. No matter what offense you run, if you are in Buffalo you should have QB's on the roster who can throw a tight, heavy ball because if you can't throw the ball deep, you can't be prolific in the NFL today.

There was a Sherman thread the other day where a poster had feedback from some Packer fans.

The point was that Sherman would not accept input from anyone else. His coaches had to be "yes-men". No scouts were allowed in the war room on draft day, fer cryin out loud!

That kind of know-it-all (and YOU don't know jack) attitude can not work very well in most cases, IMO.

I hope Mike Sherman does NOT become the Bills next HC.