Way OT - If you were a civilian contractor

Wouldn't you say the hell with this and get the fugg out? I have to vent a little so please bear with me. I saw the video of the latest hostage getting beheaded. It makes me sick. It's one thing for us (military) to be there when we are trained to kill and defend ourselves but these civilian contractors that remain I just don't understand. I know they feel like they're doing good for the Iraqi people by helping them but damn..... These civilians are getting their heads cut off with a knife!! Get the fugg out of that God forsaken country! It fuels my anger and makes me wish I was going back tomorrow instead of next year. I wish we would just drop flyers to allow the innocent people to leave and just make the whole damn place a parking lot. Fugg you Iraq and all you little bastards that are killing innocent Americans that are trying to help your people.

Wouldn't you say the hell with this and get the fugg out? I have to vent a little so please bear with me. I saw the video of the latest hostage getting beheaded. It makes me sick. It's one thing for us (military) to be there when we are trained to kill and defend ourselves but these civilian contractors that remain I just don't understand. I know they feel like they're doing good for the Iraqi people by helping them but damn..... These civilians are getting their heads cut off with a knife!! Get the fugg out of that God forsaken country! It fuels my anger and makes me wish I was going back tomorrow instead of next year. I wish we would just drop flyers to allow the innocent people to leave and just make the whole damn place a parking lot. Fugg you Iraq and all you little bastards that are killing innocent Americans that are trying to help your people.

40259[/snapback]

I'd be interested in knowing how many US (and other nationality) civilians are in Iraq. If it's 1,000, then there's a high percentage being kidnapped/killed. However, I'm guessing it's MUCH higher than that, and that (percentage-wise), it's not as dangerous as it sounds. Hmm, that didn't come out exactly as I meant it to, but I hope people get my point.

What I'm trying to say is, yes it's dangerous and that's why they're getting major hazard pay. It's not like they don't know the risks, and if you "only" have a <1% chance of dying in a year and can make $200,000 tax-free for that year, I can see the allure.

CW

It's one thing for us (military) to be there when we are trained to kill and defend ourselves but these civilian contractors that remain I just don't understand.

40259[/snapback]

If I weren't getting the fugg outta there, I'd make sure I was real close to a Marine.

Bless you for the job you do and for the attitude with which you do it.

I would never have gone in the first place, unless I was military.  Anyone in the military is a hero in my book.  As far as the video, I can't bring myself to watch it.

40288[/snapback]

We're gearing up to go back on two 7 month rotations so we were shown it as part of the training. It's not fun to watch.

This contractor stuff boggles my mind. The contractors are there because they WANT to be there. They have high paying contracts. They are told the risks before they go. A number of contractors have been killed in not very nice ways In case everyone forgets a number (1000 plus) Soldiers have been killed who are NOT highly paid. A number, over 7,000, American Soldiers have been gravely wounded in this useless war, who have not only not been well paid, but also are not receiving appropriate medical care. And you right wing whackos drone on and on about the poor contractors! Cut me a break! :D

This contractor stuff boggles my mind.  The contractors are there because they WANT to be there.  They have high paying contracts. They are told the risks before they go.  A number of contractors have been killed in not very nice ways In case everyone forgets a number (1000 plus) Soldiers have been killed who are NOT highly paid. A number, over 7,000, American Soldiers have been gravely wounded in this useless war, who have not only not been well paid, but also are not receiving appropriate medical care. And you right wing whackos drone on and on about the poor contractors!  Cut me a break!  :D

40301[/snapback]

Um tenny, wake up and smell the coffee pal. The post was about the contractors. I suggest that if you want to rant about the injustice being done to our troops by our country then please start a thread. But if you don't mind we would all appreciate if you would stop your bitching about something that is off subject from this thread.

Thank you.

This contractor stuff boggles my mind.  The contractors are there because they WANT to be there.  They have high paying contracts. They are told the risks before they go.  A number of contractors have been killed in not very nice ways In case everyone forgets a number (1000 plus) Soldiers have been killed who are NOT highly paid. A number, over 7,000, American Soldiers have been gravely wounded in this useless war, who have not only not been well paid, but also are not receiving appropriate medical care. And you right wing whackos drone on and on about the poor contractors!  Cut me a break!  :D

40301[/snapback]

I see your point but mine is this. We sign a contract in the military knowing full well what could happen to us. We fight and are killed in combat type situations which is to be expected. The civilian contractors are non combatant and are trying to help the Iraqi people. Yes, it's a terrible thing that anybody has died but that's going to happen. I have a problem with innocent people being brutally murdered. Sept 11th ring a bell? That's my point. I feel just as badly about my brothers and sisters in arms that have died as well. I've been there and will be going back so don't call me a right wing whacko because I'm frusterated about innocent lives being taken. :D

As I recall the first hostage that was killed in that manner went over there because he was unemployed and couldn't find a job here in the U.S. that paid enough to support his family. It's a shame that some people are faced with making such desperate decisions. At this point with the continued escalation it would be foolish for anyone to go over there.

I see your point but mine is this. We sign a contract in the military knowing full well what could happen to us. We fight and are killed in combat type situations which is to be expected. The civilian contractors are non combatant and are trying to help the Iraqi people. Yes, it's a terrible thing that anybody has died but that's going to happen. I have a problem with innocent people being brutally murdered. Sept 11th ring a bell? That's my point. I feel just as badly about my brothers and sisters in arms that have died as well. I've been there and will be going back so don't call me a right wing whacko because I'm frusterated about innocent lives being taken.  :D

40336[/snapback]

Soldier On man, you take care of business when you get back there.

And before you go be sure to pay attention to your training, it will help to keep you safe. I am sure that we have learned many new tactics that will be inserted there to make sure that you guys maintain the upper hand there.

And one more thing. please pay no mind to blowhards on here who hate our government and the people who run it. The pay scale is what it is, it would be the same no matter who was in there. The militarty and it's cost structure and pay scale is beyond any one person. Those who hate GWB have thier own agenda, and they like to spread that hate to anyone who will listen. If you guys were given a 2000% pay raise they would still B word that it was either not enough or it was too much dependig on which way they wanted to slant the conversation. At the end of the day they are just haters, and they will never get it. Just let them hate, and let it roll off your back. America loves it's military and we support you. The minority of haters is basically laughed at by us, and we will try to keep them off your backs.

Gods Speed, and kick that scuzlim radical a$$

It should be mandatory that every American citizen contractor and military have a GPS chip implanted in their body so they can be located any time and immediately.The stipulation is that it be removed upon leaving Iraq.The cost to be borne by the contractors .You see , these Islamic slime do not have a soul. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

At the end of the day they are just haters, and they will never get it. Just let them hate, and let it roll off your back. America loves it's military and we support you. The minority of haters is basically laughed at by us, and we will try to keep them off your backs.

What are you talking about? Who hates the military? Please identify them and let us know how you will "keep them off your backs"? Think before you make such silly statements.

As I recall the first hostage that was killed in that manner went over there because he was unemployed and couldn't find a job here in the U.S. that paid enough to support his family. It's a shame that some people are faced with making such desperate decisions.

If you are talking about Nick Berg, that's not the case. He was sort of a strange guy from what I read, he'd done a lot of volunteer work in africa but went to iraq to make money building radio towers. I don't believe there was any family involved.

I'd be interested in knowing how many US (and other nationality) civilians are in Iraq.  If it's 1,000, then there's a high percentage being kidnapped/killed.  However, I'm guessing it's MUCH higher than that, and that (percentage-wise), it's not as dangerous as it sounds.  Hmm, that didn't come out exactly as I meant it to, but I hope people get my point.

What I'm trying to say is, yes it's dangerous and that's why they're getting major hazard pay.  It's not like they don't know the risks, and if you "only" have a <1% chance of dying in a year and can make $200,000 tax-free for that year, I can see the allure.

CW

40271[/snapback]

You have to be out of the country for 330 days, and only the first $86,000 is untaxed. Anything over that gets hit at the normal rates.

You have to be out of the country for 330 days, and only the first $86,000 is untaxed. Anything over that gets hit at the normal rates.

40572[/snapback]

Normally this is the case but in these extreme hardship posts the US Government has waived, on some contracts, either the in-country 330 rule or allowed a maximum ceiling greater than the IRS's mandated $86,000.00. Some contracts allow for a tax benefit on 3, 6, or 9 month tours similar to the usual 330 benefit. More than likely done to sweeten the Military (private) contractor's ability to lure candidates from stateside employment for needed but shorter stints.