(OT) Grammar

ajzepp

I'm sure some people may think I'm an ass for even posting this, but I guess I'm just interested if anyone else ever wonders the same thing.....

Does it ever surprise you how bad the spelling/punctuation is among the posters here? Not that mine is perfect by any means - and I'm not really talking about typos - but I have to say that sometimes I'm really surprised at how bad some people are with their grammar.

Does anyone else notice this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some common errors:

Me and my friend .... instead of My friend and I

Irregardless instead of regardless

Anyways instead of anyway

There instead of their or they're

To instead of too

Etc.

Their really screwing up they're posts? Really?!

Don't forget resign instead of re-sign.

It's not just this board. Look anywhere. This board is actually better than many in this regard. Heck, some "journalists" don't even know how to use correct grammar...

I think it's even worse when someone you know in person first exposes you to their, um, unique style, and you are literally SHOCKED at how poorly they write. Part of you wants to help them to fix some of it, but then another part of you is afraid to say anything. Honesty can be a double-edged sword, for sure :)

Heck, some "journalists" don't even know how to use correct grammar...

39217[/snapback]

The word I see journalists screw up from time to time is "myriad". It's incorrect to say "myriad of....". I don't know why that word shows up so often in articles, but the least they can do is get it right :)

The word I see journalists screw up from time to time is "myriad". It's incorrect to say "myriad of....".  I don't know why that word shows up so often in articles, but the least they can do is get it right :)

39237[/snapback]

Then there's always data....I rarely see that used right. It's a plural word folks.

I'm sure some people may think I'm an ass for even posting this, but I guess I'm just interested if anyone else ever wonders the same thing.....

Does it ever surprise you how bad the spelling/punctuation is among the posters here?  Not that mine is perfect by any means - and I'm not really talking about typos - but I have to say that sometimes I'm really surprised at how bad some people are with their grammar.

39087[/snapback]

No it doesn't surprise me. When I type a business letter or something at work, I rarely make a mistake. I even do a lot of copywriting.

When I post on boards, I do so quickly, and make some careless mistakes.

:):doh::lol::lol::D

You're an idiot!!!!!!!! I couldn't resist!!

I have to admit that sometimes I just want to reply to a post and make the grammatical corrections. I'm not a teacher or anything relatively close but the proper use of the English language is something I've always been fond of. :lol:

My grammar sucks when I post. I hate .,:;?!"' but as long as the point gets across what's the difference? Who has the time for spell check when you are so pissed about the Bills bashers?

Does it ever surprise you how bad the spelling/punctuation is among the posters here?  Not that mine is perfect by any means - and I'm not really talking about typos - but I have to say that sometimes I'm really surprised at how bad some people are with their grammar.

39087[/snapback]

So this Stuart Scott Ebonics book is no good ?

39087[/snapback]

It's a lot more evident in E-mails. Have you noticed that?

People who conduct business on the Internet should be much more aware of this.

Collectively, we as Americans, don't care about literacy and learning.

Common man! If we would of won that game then we wouldn't be on a two-game loosing streek and me and my friend wouldn't of got so drunk and made all these bad grammer posts. Your an idiot. If the Bills just get there stevestojan together then yall will liten up.

:)