Hmmm, could we wind up with bookend

I found a website predicting that we will draft Miami's left tackle Eric Winston.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/mock2006.html

You gotta love a lineman nick-named Neanderthal. Plus, he had a major knee injury, we love that.

Strengths:

Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add some additional weight...Extremely athletic and quick for the position...Has amazing feet...Mobility is outstanding...Can pull and block in space...Competitive and physical...Uses his hands well and has a good initial punch...Very smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Gets better each game and still has a ton of upside and potential.

Weaknesses:

Suffered a major knee injury as a junior in 2004 and didn't appear to be fully recovered yet...Has some trouble with speed rushers...Can he play left tackle or will he have to move to the right side?...Raw and is still mastering the nuances and technique of the position...Needs to get stronger and continue to develop physically...Can he get much bigger without losing his quickness and mobility?

Notes:

Came to college as a tight end...Looked like a future elite left tackle prospect prior to the injury...Stock dropped in 2005 but that downturn in play might be attributed to his not yet being 100% healthy...It usually takes two seasons to come back from the type of surgery he had so some team may get a steal if he slips a little on Draft Day and then reverts back to the form he showed in 2003 and 2004.

Not in the first round, but if he hangs around he might be good looking in the second or third. I'm starting to like that defensive tackle out of Oregon for the first, as there is no way Ferguson will be available at 8.

550190[/snapback]

I actually agree with you, my guess is Ngata. I would love Ferguson as well but he won't be available. I could have seen Donahoe stretching for Winston but who knows with the new regime.

Not in the first round, but if he hangs around he might be good looking in the second or third. I'm starting to like that defensive tackle out of Oregon for the first, as there is no way Ferguson will be available at 8.

550190[/snapback]

i love these "he won't be available" comments -- stocks go up and down this time of year, the senior bowl is upcoming, scouting combine, and finally private workouts........a lot can change in the next 4 months so i wouldn't be knocking guys off the draft board just yet......

Most accounts say that Winston won't last past the middle of the first round. He has reportedly recovered well from his injury and was back in form near the end of the college season.

550229[/snapback]

I like what I've seen of him, just not sure if DT is a bigger need. Winston seems like he would be a great pro but of course you never can tell...