Questions after listening to Jerry Sullivan today

theNose76

Had WGR on today for about 10 minutes while in the car for long enough to hear the end of Jerry's hour just before 6pm. All I heard in that time was how bad Bledsoe is, how Jerry has been saying this for a long time and nothing has been done, and there's no way to win with Bledsoe at QB. He also criticized the pick of Evans, saying it was another in Donahoe's luxury picks (McGahee) and the pick was nothing but to give Bledsoe another option. I had no chance to call, but I really wish I would've gotten through - I would've posed these two questions:

Who, if not Bledsoe, do we put in as our starting QB right now, on September 20? Not JP when he gets back, I don't realistically see that happening. But being as emphatic as he is, Jerry wants immediate change, I wanna know where it's coming from.

And also, if not Evans at 13, then who do we pick that has value at 13? Someone who lasted into the 20's? I would like to know alternatives. It's great to second guess months later. I always hear the discussion re: Mike Williams and how we should've taken Bryant McKinnie instead - yea huge improvement.

Basically I'm just sick of hearing Sullivan's tired RANT. He's been after Donahoe's head since last December when Donahoe called out the media who had been harshly criticizing his decision at HC - ever sense every time he's talked or written something about the Bills it's been disagreeing or second-guessing Donahoe. It's fine that he's fed up with TD for whatever reason, but as a SPORTSWRITER, someone who works based on their knowledge of sports, one would reason that he is smart enough to think of ALTERNATIVES. He did at least mention Pete Kendall today, who was a FA guard and signed with the NYJ I believe this offseason. I agree, he would've been a great LG. But other than that, all I hear from him is complaining. Offer an alternative if you're going to write a weekly column bashing the team and be on the air for an hour every Monday bashing and second-guessing every move that is made. I am not by any means a Bledsoe or Donahoe apologist - this is just reality. We're 0-2: I wanna hear some alternatives on how to improve the team, bottom line.

The 1st alternative to replace Bledsoe would be to start Shane Matthews. Can it really be any worse?

2nd, If we picked a speed WR @ the 13th spot in the draft why not get him the ball in the game? He's being wasted on the sidelines watching Bobby Shaw catch the ball and fall to the ground. Lee Evans should be the #2 WR on this team.

Jerry Sullivan sounds like the devil bashing the Bills but if you watch the games on Sunday you will see he is telling the truth. I also feel Tom Donahoe is clueless at picking talent.

OMG, I agree with Sully. :doh:

I agree with Sully. Drew excuse #17 was the oline sucked so we selected Mike Williams 4th overall. Drew excuse #31 was Gilbride was to blame so Gilbride was canned. Drew excuse #33 was it was GWs fault so bye bye Greg. Drew excuse #37 was Ruben Brown sucked so later Ruben. Drew excuse #54 was he needs speed at WR ala Peerless Price hence the Lee Evans pick. Instead of making excuses and selecting players perpetually trying to fix Drew it would be nice if we could select the best players to improve our team in a utilitarian way. WTF?

If not Bledsoe when acquired choices would be:

* Jake Delhoume (?)

* Jeff Garcia

* Vinny Testaverde

* Mark Brunell

* Draft - Chris Sims maybe...

I would take any over Drew at this time.

The Lee Evans pick is a bit more dicy:

* Last year, the team could have been set by grabbing aTyrone Calico in the 2nd.

* Take Tommie Harris this year in the 1st (your losing Pat Williams next year) and grab a speed receiver in a later round - Kerry Colbert is netting more value for Carolina already.

* Take Ben Troup - our TE's all suck and he would free the middle of the field. A speedy Devery Henderson could have been had in a later round.

* Take a Shawn Andrews this year - our Tackles blow. Again, a "role" speed receiver ala Don Beebe can be had late in the draft. Obviously Evans' only role is the stretch the field - they don' use him.

* Take an Udeze in the 1st - lose Denny next year.

The list goes on - the fact is Sully is not just ranting - his style is to rant, but the thoughts are based on fact.

I agree with Sully.  Drew excuse #17 was the oline sucked so we selected Mike Williams 4th overall.  Drew excuse #31 was Gilbride was to blame so Gilbride was canned.  Drew excuse #33 was it was GWs fault so bye bye Greg.  Drew excuse #37 was Ruben Brown sucked so later Ruben.  Drew excuse #54 was he needs speed at WR ala Peerless Price hence the Lee Evans pick.  Instead of making excuses and selecting players perpetually trying to fix Drew it would be nice if we could select the best players to improve our team in a utilitarian way.  WTF?

39142[/snapback]

I disagree with you.

Bledsoe certainly sucks as a player who is on the backsode pf his career , but one thing positive that can be said about him is that he never as far as I have hear offered up a series of excuses for his poor play blaming the OL, his OC or lack of a speed WR.

He really has not reacted like the normal NFL player as he sucked it up and shut up when BB picked Brady to start the SB over him after he played QB in the majority of a must win game in the league championships.

As far as your list"

Excuse #17- Drew's immobility makes it tough for any OL to block for him particularly when he goes into his patting routine and holds the ball too long, but the OL does suck and that contributes to his poor production.

Excuse #31- Kevin Killdrive did suck as an OC. How anyone can claim that Bledsoe sucking somehow lets KG off the hook for going completely pass happy and relying on Bledsoe is totally contradictory snf shows negative football knowledge.

Excuse #33- GW was so not-ready-for-primetime that he not only deserved to be canned as HC but should have never been hired over Fox and Lewis inthe first place.

Excuse #37- Bledsoe's public statements after Ruben's run-in with Killdrive last year were actually fairly supportive of Ruben or at least did not indict him for the transgression of going after one his bosses. Perhaps you know something we don't about what Bledsoe said and did behind closed doors.

Excyse #54- This was obviously a team that by any utilitarian estimate was in deep need of another threat at WR after we saw how badly the passing game went after Moulds was hurt and the downturn in production after PP left. Reed disppointed with his drops last year and raised significant questions. A utilitarian view would actually tend you toward and Evans pick.

It is amazing how folks dislike of Bledsoe causes them to take leave of any football sense and make arguments for the sake of blaming Bledsoe which are contradictory or just plain wrong. There are plenty or reasons to want to go beyond Bledsoe without making stuff up.

Guest billsorama

Jerry Sullivan is basically a self serving, egotistical moron with about as much football sense as Queen Elizabeth. There is a reason why players, coaches and fornt office people will not talk to the guy. Remeber, Sullivan has to rely on econd hand interviews and comments, his own opinion (which he thinks is fact) or make stuff up (which he often does).