How great would it be if the NFL did this?

Imagine the 49ers did not pull off the upset last week, and both Houston and San Francisco entered this week's game at 2-13. Wouldn't it be great if Paul Tagliabue announced before the game that the WINNER would receive the #1 overall draft pick in April? The loser would get #2, and then the normal order would follow. I think that would be quite the spectacle. They could officially name it the Reggie Bush Bowl.

It is so rare that the schedule would work out to have the clear-cut, two worst teams playing in Week 17. I think just for that rare occurance that almost was, this would have been a great idea. It would prevent the proverbial "laying down" by one (or both) teams. It would take the indecision out of the equation for the coaches and have them pull out all the stops to go for the victory.

Obviously the Niners ruined everything by winning last week, but I really think this could've been great. It would have generated a lot of interest in an otherwise sad contest, and would have protected the integrity of the game by rewarding the team that wins, instead of the team that loses.

Imagine the 49ers did not pull off the upset last week, and both Houston and San Francisco entered this week's game at 2-13.  Wouldn't it be great if Paul Tagliabue announced before the game that the WINNER would receive the #1 overall draft pick in April?  The loser would get #2, and then the normal order would follow.  I think that would be quite the spectacle.  They could officially name it the Reggie Bush Bowl. 

It is so rare that the schedule would work out to have the clear-cut, two worst teams playing in Week 17.  I think just for that rare occurance that almost was, this would have been a great idea.  It would prevent the proverbial "laying down" by one (or both) teams.  It would take the indecision out of the equation for the coaches and have them pull out all the stops to go for the victory. 

Obviously the Niners ruined everything by winning last week, but I really think this could've been great.  It would have generated a lot of interest in an otherwise sad contest, and would have protected the integrity of the game by rewarding the team that wins, instead of the team that loses.

543151[/snapback]

I think it's a solid idea s'n'j. I was going to say that there would be gripes about the home field advantage, but then I realized, it's a pre-determined scheduled game. If two teams need to win to make the playoffs in the last week of the season, tough break if you are on the road. It's the same situation.

The only downside would be if there was one team who was REALLY that bad. For example, imagine two teams who are both 1-14 and about to play each other in the last game of the season. Team A has lost three games in OT, they beat a Super Bowl contender for their one win, and have generally played their games tough. What if Team B has been absolutely blown away in all of their games, and they beat a 3-13 team 9-6 in OT? Perhaps Team B is REALLY that bad...It has nothing to do with laying down in games...Team A would win that battle, get the #1 pick, and Team B would be punished, even though they were the worst team.

It would be cool though, I'd like to see it. Also, by making it a play-to-win situation, it would fuel betting on that game rather than restrict betting, which the NFL loves (don't let them fool you- they love the Vegas action.)

Keep it the way it is.  I'm more interested in the creative ways they come up with to lose the game.

543363[/snapback]

they usually do it with kick returns and pick 6 (interception for a td)....when a coach calls for his quarterback to throw a pick 6 it's usually a comeback sideline route.....and kick returns are even easier...every man lock with a return team blocker, usually the kick returner has enough speed to make it look genuine

Keep it the way it is.  I'm more interested in the creative ways they come up with to lose the game.

543363[/snapback]

I know...altho, Kris Brown's fixing of the game a few weeks ago was absolutely pathetic. He didnt even make it look like he tried to make the FG.