Bills Should Switch to 3-4 in 06?

Chgrant

I know that there would be adjustments the players have to make (Schobel and Fletcher strike me as the players with the hardest time adjusting to a 3-4) but should the bills consider this to get their best 4 linebackers on the field? If Takeo can't regain all of his old quickness could he and Fletcher man the inside backers while posey and crowell take the outside? If the bills undertook this getting a mammoth NT would be a must, but I think this would have a shot of working.

I know that there would be adjustments the players have to make (Schobel and Fletcher strike me as the players with the hardest time adjusting to a 3-4) but should the bills consider this to get their best 4 linebackers on the field? If Takeo can't regain all of his old quickness could he and Fletcher man the inside backers while posey and crowell take the outside? If the bills undertook this getting a mammoth NT would be a must, but I think this would have a shot of working.

537346[/snapback]

Ask the 2004 Raiders defense how good of an idea it is to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense (FYI the Raiders are playing a 4-3 defense this year).

537346[/snapback]

Posey is gone after this year. He is junk and never lived up to TD's quick signing of him. Bye Bye..

It did work in Buffalo for the 19 years we ran the 3-4, but we simply don't have the personnel right now in the interior to make it effective. I do think a guy like Denney may be a better fit in a 3-4, but we have nothing even remotely resembling a quality NT on our roster. We'd need @ least 2 of those, plus we'd need to get some bigger, more physical DEs that can handle double teams. Trust me, that ain't Schobel or Kelsay.

The DT from Oregon (I think his name is Ngata) is a top 10 pick if he declares and it is said that he could play the DT in a 3-4. The guy is like 350 and has unusual speed for someone that big. If we were to switch to a 3-4 Schobel would have to switch to LB, which I think he could do, but it definitely wouldn't be his strength. Kelsay would have to gain a bunch more weight just to be able to play in a 3-4. We would basically have to get 2 more 300 pound lineman that can move in order to switch to a 3-4. If you look at teams playin a 3-4, you have to have big lineman, almost like having 3 DT's that can run to the ball. Look at Dallas or New England for example. New England basically has 3 DT's with Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour. Dallas also has 3 DT's with Ferguson, Glover, and Spears. Although I would like the change, I don't think we have the personal to do this.

Posey is gone after this year. He is junk and never lived up to TD's quick signing of him. Bye Bye..

537363[/snapback]

Posey is not 'junk'. He's a decent outside linebacker for a 3-4 defense that was switched to being a strong side LB in a 4-3, one who was also used a lot more in coverage than you'd expect a strong side LB to be.

It did work in Buffalo for the 19 years we ran the 3-4, but we simply don't have the personnel right now in the interior to make it effective.  I do think a guy like Denney may be a better fit in a 3-4, but we have nothing even remotely resembling a quality NT on our roster.  We'd need @ least 2 of those, plus we'd need to get some bigger, more physical DEs that can handle double teams.  Trust me, that ain't Schobel or Kelsay.

537365[/snapback]

It would seem an expensive change. Had they opted for Wilfork (sp) or something akin a while back, it might be something to consider.

I like to offer up B'gals players for consideration by the Bills, but they have little on their squad that could allow them to consider a 3 -4 either.

I'm still touting WR Kelley Washington, though. :D

It would seem an expensive change.  Had they opted for Wilfork (sp) or something akin a while back, it might be something to consider.

I like to offer up B'gals players for consideration by the Bills, but they have little on their squad that could allow them to consider a 3 -4 either.

I'm still touting WR Kelley Washington, though. :D

537380[/snapback]

With Chris Henry facing legal troubles, and possibly a 4 game suspension by the league, I don't see the Bengals getting rid of Washington any time soon.

With Chris Henry facing legal troubles, and possibly a 4 game suspension by the league, I don't see the Bengals getting rid of Washington any time soon.

537383[/snapback]

Remains to be seen. He hasn't had a court date much less a conviction. And in the eyes of the NFL, if convicted, it's a 1st violation - so no suspension. In the court, he faces a $150 fine - not much legal trouble.

I'm circumspect about Henry re his on-field performance, as stated a while back. I think he's borderline nuts, myself.

Remains to be seen. He hasn't had a court date much less a conviction. And in the eyes of the NFL, if convicted, it's a 1st violation - so no suspension. In the court, he faces a $150 fine - not much legal trouble.

I'm circumspect about Henry re his on-field performance, as stated a while back. I think he's borderline nuts, myself.

537387[/snapback]

Might be nuts but still a helluva football talent. I admit he was among the WRs I felt could be drafted later yet be #1 WR in the NFL.

Might be nuts but still a helluva football talent. I admit he was among the WRs I felt could be drafted later yet be #1 WR in the NFL.

537396[/snapback]

He's had several critical, wide-open drops, needs to protect the ball better, and has committed some bonehead penalties to date.

So far, I prefer 6th rounder Tab Perry. 6' 2", 230 lb and a pretty good kr. Had a 40+ and a 90+ return a few games ago. Great attitude.

Henry may work out - we'll see. But he did drop to the upper middle of 3rd round